“Abusive New Owners” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Galloway
Nutley, New Jersey
“Abusive New Owners”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have been to the Relax Inn many times before. It was a great place once. Now there is a new Pakistani owner and front desk person. Both yelled at me constantly. I was given a room with a broken refrigerator which must work since I have food allergies. I was told by owner to get out if I do not like the room. But when I said I would be contacting TRIP ADVISOR, the owner showed me a different room upstairs. I had originally asked for a ground floor room, because I am a senior citizen and had a heavy bag to lug. The owner yelled at me that he is not my slave. So I had to lug it upstairs myself. When I went downstairs to tell them they would not have to service my room tomorrow (I was staying two days), but I needed a coffee package and a set of towels, the desk clerk yelled at me that I would not get them because they are only for people who pay more for the room. SO HOTLINE CUSTOMERS BEWARE. This ownership is so cheap, I would not be surprised if I get bedbugs. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!! NEW OWNERSHIP RUINED A REALLY GREAT ATLANTIC CITY MOTEL.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The first issue I had with the motel was when the desk clerk tried to get me to pay an additional $25 for no specific reason (he was Indian, and his accent was too strong for me to understand much). I told him I would not pay it as I had paid in full already. He finally agreed to let it go. When I went to the room the first thing that hit me was the overpowering stale smoke smell! I went out to buy a strong air freshener- but it didn't help much. Other issues included drains that went down extremely slowly and the toilet shut-off float was broken (so it was always running- I had to turn off the water supply). I would not recommend this place.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Union City, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I didn't know what to expect & was surprised to see a whirl pool when I walked in, but after examining the room further I knew I wasn't going to be using the whirl pool. The towels were a lovely shade of grey and the other was white. One that was suppose to be the bath towel looked like the towel that you wipe your feet on the floor. The bed while it was nicely made, when I turned down the blanket there were black lint on the sheets which meant the blanket was dirty / in need of a washing. I didn't think the decor was good either but it didn't claim to be the Ritz. I think with clean towels, clean or new blankets and an upgrade on the general decor of the room it would get a 5.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thomson, Ga USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Had an emergency trip to NJ. Checked around and found this nice little hotel.

Nice price, and you get essentially what you get at similar hotels, a room, with a bathroom, comfortable bed (extremely so) and a nice staff.

The bed passed the UV light test, the room was clean and the TV worked well. Free Internet allows you to complete work while relaxing.

The coffee maker is full size, and since my experience has been hotel coffee is a bit light, I bring my own coffee. Bathrooms are in a separate room from the sink so one person using the bathroom does not prevent others from getting ready.

To be honest I recently paid $80 for a similar accommodations in Athens,Ga.

The continental breakfast is the typical Danish/ bagel affair, but its more than satisfied my need, I usually bring yogurt for my breakfast.

So final word, clean (very difficult to find many times) nice friendly staff, comfortable bed and room. Is it the Ritz with swimming pools bars and an expensive restaurant/bar? No. But I don't really look for anything like that, ....plus the price was fantastic (Kayak) .

Room Tip: It's a comfy clean room, nice 24 hour staff and good deal.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went two minutes over my checkout time. The manager charged me for a full hour. He was very arrogant and inconsiderate. As for the room, it is quite old and quite dirty. So many other choices in the area. Definitely not coming back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Highland, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Great place, the bed was comfortable, jaccuzi was my favorite :-) the only thing that I didn't like was there was no outlets in the room, one in the bathroom right over sink for the hair dryer and one by the main door, had to charge everything on the floor. Overal it was a great place at a great price, clean, friendly people, very quite. We were room 207 on top floor

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

If you don't want to splurge for an A.C. casino hotel, you have virtually unlimited choices on Routes 30 and 40, from the Garden State Parkway to the boardwalk. I booked the Relax Inn last weekend, purely on the basis of its being the highest rated tripadvisor motel for the least money. That was a mistake. Whether the outstanding reviews were in violation of tripadvisor's policy or whether they were honest reviews by people who are truly clueless, it is in no way above the lowest level of motel. There are many better choices to be had in the same price range.

Literally in the shadow of the GS Parkway, the Relax Inn is about as far from the casinos as possible. That means you have to drive 10 miles, half of which is a gauntlet of traffic lights and hotel/motel/restaurant entrances. All that to arrive at a small (16 units or so), exterior entrance, in-wall air conditioned, basic unit. While the room is fairly large (I had 2 queen beds), the sink was in the main room (not on a hidden entrance to the toilet, as is usual) and as for claims of "quiet," I heard my neighbor's television all night long. As another traveler reported, everything was unplugged, so the room took a while to warm up to a comfortable level. The bedding is old style (sheet and bedspread, no comforter or even blanket. As for the included breakfast, it was only served 8 AM to 9:30 AM, and food had to be taken back to the room -- there is no breakfast area. I had a donut and small muffin; both were the standard institutional fare that come frozen and are defrosted. Certainly not the same as a local bakery product! A much better choice in my opinion is the Comfort Inn in Absecon. Only 4 miles from the casinos, that property is separated by a causeway and bay, so you do not have to go through the congested stretch as you do with the Relax Inn. Breakfast was better, had longer hours, and you actually had a place to sit and eat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Relax Inn? Share your experiences!