“Another excellent visit” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
england
“Another excellent visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is one of our favourite eating places, we often visit with 2 other friends and always find a friendly welcome and all the staff are very helpful. The menu is very extensive and there is always plenty of choice on the specials boards, on this last visit we all choose, for the first time the 2 course lunch time special which was very high quality food at a reasonable price.
This is an excellent village pub with very good food and very good atmosphere, keep up the good work, see you again soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I wrote a review on this pub 18 October 2012 and mentioned how tired it was and in need of some sort of shakeup, well we went back because I heard it has been taken over by somebody else, yes it has been taken over but the same people remain to run the place,I should have realised we were the only car in the car park, stayed best part of the evening apart from another couple who came in later had a meal and left we were the only two people there, we both had a meal my other half she had plaice on the bone which she said was okay, I had chicken with pepper sauce the chicken breast which was placed in the middle of the pepper sauce (very runny) was very small and overcooked (Chewy).
As for the decor I think some emulsion had been put onto the walls and the pictures had been changed, nothing else had been done, as far as I was concerned it was the same old pub,
I think I mentioned about the cigarette smoke coming from somewhere into the bar in my last write-up well it was still the same when I got home I could smell smoke on my clothes and in my hair that is totally unacceptable.
This is the last time I shall go to this pub as we have been disappointed on both occasions.
There are excellent pubs in the area that produce good beers and excellent food The Banningham Crown, The Walpole Arms, to name just two, but this place is struggling not to be one of them. I hope the new owners take note whoever they might be?

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great food to recover for a 100 mile cycle ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

To celebrate the completion of the Norwich 100 cycle ride, a party five visited this pub/restaurant. Starters and desserts around £6 and mains from £11. With two bottles of wine and six pints and a G&T Total £241. (£48 per head). The landlord is a bit of the comedian and the waitresses very "mummsie" The style is good, homemade village pub food with a couple of interesting twists like Mars bar cheesecake and rubbarb trifle. My only gripe is that the business is owned by Greed King so you are subjected to Suffolk beer and no guests.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Norwich, United Kingdom
“A firm favourite! (Great for kids!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We've been here many times - as a family and with friends and visitors. The food is very high quality pub fayre with at least 10 local 'specials' at all times. Prices aren't too high either (£9-£12). Peter (the owner) is very friendly and helpful (as are all the staff), the service is great, toilets are clean, and there's a small room at the front of the pub with toys suitable from 2-6/7. Our son loves going here.

Visited May 2013
norwich
“much better on re-opening!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Went to a birthday celebration meal here couple of weeks ago and had a pleasant surprise in that it has been reopened by new owners and the food was excellent and conservatory very comfy! Remember going about 3 years ago and found the restaurant noisy and recall also uncomfortable chairs. Looking forward to returning next weekend for our aniversary meal!
The "blackboard" fish options were very good and it was agreed by all (about 18 of us I think) that the food was excellent.
I had the sea bass which was a good sized portion (for some reason this varies enormously from place to place) and it was cooked to perfection. My neighbours had the wild duck which was proclaimed to be "jolly good"! All in all a 100% improvement and happy to recommend.

• Visited April 2013