“A fantastic and fabulous stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shamrock Arms Guest Lodge

You added Shamrock Arms Guest Lodge to your Saves list
Shamrock Arms Guest Lodge
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   68 Josiah Mathebula Avenue, Waterval Boven 1195, South Africa   |
“A fantastic and fabulous stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011 via mobile

I stayed there for 4 nights and i wished that i didnt have to go when my week there came to an end, well everything was on point the rooms are lovely, clean, neat and comfortable. Every meal is beautifuly prepared with love. The people there made me feel home away from home. Even thou i was there on business it sure didnt feel like it as i was so relaxed. There is never a dull moment when the Fab Jaco is around with his cheerful persona. Thank you very much Shamrock Arms for a fabulous time hope to come back soon.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

There is no way that we would miss stopping over at Shamrock when travelling from Kruger to JNB. (We've even detoured to stay there!) Its difficult not to over emphasise the warm atmosphere and ambient that you find at Shamrock. The rooms and food are excellent, but its more than that. This will be our third stay and we are greeted like family... and it is sincere. Terry is a lovely bloke and the hotel manager Jaco "the gem of the Lowveld" will keep you well entertained. In the bar, sitting in front of a roaring fire on a cold August night, we enjoyed a warm and relaxing evening, just as you would amongst your own close friends, with Terry, Cheryl and Jaco.

The relaxation factor is amazing. After a hectic 3 weeks of travel in SA we felt that we had yet another holiday at the Shamrock.

Read the reviews !!

Pam & Ian
Newcastle upon Tyne. UK

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Zandvoort, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights at Shamrock. You know how it is, when you are looking for accommodation. Just as you are doing now, you go on internet, check out the reviews and make a choice. Hopefully the right one! I was seriously prepared to be disappointed with Shamrock arms after reading the reviews. I mean, hey how can they live up to all this positive feedback? Well I have to admit they seriously did and even amazed me with the service we got. As said by others, Jaco is great. I was telling him on the first day how I missed some stuff from south africa (grew up there and moved to europe), while I was still dreaming about koeksisters he went out and got some. The next time we were there I got my much craved koeksisters. You really feel welcome, your every wish is their command., Terry and Jaco are very nice open outgoing persons, there to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. I have been spoilt for the future, my standards are now way up for future guesthouses. (sorry guys but you are warned)
Another thing I really liked is that Terry and Jaco made sure that dinner/breakfast was of a high standard. Very good. Small things makes such a difference, flower on your plate in the morning, packing a breakfast for our trip to kruger park, with eggs packed in paper with a sweet message on them. Adding another koeksister in the package....

I think that its clear, if I go to kruger park again, this is the place I will stay. About 3 hours from johannesburg, which is enough after a 12 hour flight. 2 hours from Kruger which is also very easy since the highway is super.
Jaco thanks again for making our stay easy (you know why I say this, it was a sad trip but turned out into a nice stay with us laughing a lot. Which I was not expecting)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Me and my husband checked in with a 6 yr old and a 1 yr old for a 3 night stay at Shamrock Arms. My maternal instincts kicked in and I wanted to 'baby proof' the place as soon as we arrived - the quaint a charming decor in the main house is not kid-friendly but owner Terry and manager, Jaco, were clearly not as stressed by the kids running around as I was.

Jaco is a gem of the lowveld - never far from earshot and within arms reach to attend to every requirement that we had during our stay - even saving me from embarrasment when I snuck out to have a cigarette out of sight of my family only to lock myself out my room (in my pyjamas)! He is also so knowledgeable about the area and gave us daily pointers over breakfast to help us plan our day out.

The Shamrock Arms is VERY conveniently located from Johannesburg and we were able to visit Kaapschehoop village, Kaapsehoop Riding Trails, Dinosaur Park, Sudwala Caves, God's Window and the waterfall - with 2 kids in tow - without driving 'forever' to return to our comfortable accommodation in the evenings. (Vula Tours also operates out of the area - from Kaapsehoop Riding Trails - so if we wanted to do a daytrip to Kruger National Park that would also have been an option).

Meals at The Shamrock Arms are generous in portion and breakfast options are plentiful. I strongly recommend the locally made yoghurt which was a firm favourite. Terry and Jaco are totally relaxed and flexible with their meal arrangements which really helps when you have 2 kids who are unpredictable at the best of times. Jaco ensured that 2 bowls of cereal with milk and sugar were delivered to our room at bedtime to make sure that the kids had breakfast if they woke up earlier than the time we had booked breakfast in the dining room for. It's these little touches that make a BIG difference to us.

(If you have an earlier than usual departure time, they will prepare breakfast packs for you...)

The adjoining bar to the restaurant area is cosy and friendly. The wood-burning fireplace was a welcome treat as our visit was during the South African winter.

The beds are a good and generous size. The bedding is top class. Our room had an aircon/heater which worked splendidly. Extra blankets are provided.

Tea/coffee/biscuit stations are available in the rooms. As are complementary soaps & shampoo.

All rooms are non-smoking.

Secure, lock-up parking (not that it's necessary in Waterval Boven) is available.

Room Tip: Book in advance to secure a room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

Thanks to Terry and Jaco for making our stay there a very special experience. It is like a home away from home, and jaco added that extra special touch. It's so nice to go to a place where you feel so comfortable and relaxed. We definiitely will stop over there again if we are ever in the area, even if it's just to stop in and say hi and have one of Terry's irish coffees. Colin and Charmaine

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Terry and , and especially Jaco went out of their way to make us feel at home. The service, in all respects , was amazing.
Before arriving at the lodge we met two youn men from Holland who told us about Jaco and how they had enjoyed his company, so much so that they had decied to stay longer.
The rooms were spotless and nicely decorated, the building reflected an era gone by.

The food as good as promised. We thought this would only be a stop over on our way home, but found the stay much more than expected. Thanks!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Spent the weekend with five other couples on our Harleys riding the area in the rain. The hosts were very hospitable and could not do enough to make us feel at home albeit us hanging all our wet clothes all over the railings. Thank you for a well spent time and your friendliness has been noticed and we will send our friend to you.

Room Tip: best place to stay in Watervalboven
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Shamrock Arms Guest Lodge? Share your experiences!