“Welcome all, you will not be dissapointed...” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Metsis
Kuperjanovi 63, Valga 68207, Estonia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Valga
Turku, Finland
“Welcome all, you will not be dissapointed...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Dispite of the fact, that we signed in to the hotell on june 2013, when the critical part of J. Kuperjanovi street in front of the hotell was under construction... we liked it a lot! Just put the navigator on the Metsa / Rahu street and you´ll find your way home!

I loved the hotell! Its build 1912 wilth large windows, corridors, heavy wine-red curtains and full-floor-carpet. We had a family room with 3 seperate beds and it was so cosy. Its easy to walk or go with car from hotell and explore Valga. Nearby is the border of Valga / Valka, and Latvia is only a few stairsteps away from Rimi and Selver. Tourist info and service in the red city house is really good and friendly, so don´t miss it and all the attractions and free city maps! I loved the city and the hotell, so nice and cosy!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This place is hard to miss from the main street and in a good location. The staff was helpful and friendly. The restaurant has an interesting hunting theme and the breakfast was very good. The bed was quite small so if you're a large or tall person you may want to ask if they have something bigger. The room was clean and warm though. The hotel exceeds the expectations of a hotel in a small town in the middle of nowhere. :-)

Room Tip: If you don't like small beds, inquire if they have a room with larger ones.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Gent, België
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had an excellent stay in this hotel in the southern Estonian town of Valga. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the food was great. The hotel is located near a park and close to the museum.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Valga isn't going to be highlight of your trip, but Hotel Metsis definately isn't a place you'd expect here. It's nice, clean, comfortable, with good rooms and very good food. The breakfast is huge and good dinner options as well. Service is ok and friendly and I could even use the front desk computer for my email to check. All in all very nice.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Stayed one night during business trip. Of course it is not a 4* and even very average for a 3*. BUT: to find a place that offers a degree of comfort in the middle of nowhere and get decent service for only 45 euro/night at high season - I consider it to be extremely good value.

Level of comfort was quite decent, of course you can't expect much at that rate, but breakfast was good enough, also we tried dinner and had some wilde boar ribs, with a lot of other stuff - boar was wild, later locals told me that there are hunters who do deliver boars to the restaurants there.

Valga is neither large, not prosperous place. There are a lot of industrial areas and lots of other areas do not look good. But the large park outside the hotel, was, however, very well kept and made a fantastic impression, so the location for the hotel was one of the best in town. All you need is within walking distance also - nothing is far away inside Valga, anyway.

I do not know if there will be many visitors - there are almost no tourist attractions in the area and business visitors are also few as there is not much going on - but whoever has a need/wish to stay in Valga for 1-2 days, you can rely on this Metsis hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

This 1912 building is grand but has not been updated in years--carpets are worn, linens thin, dusty--basically tired. Our room was small but the halls were wide the ground floor resaurant/breakfast room attractive. The buffet breakfast was very good served in a hunting themed room. The hotel was a reflection of the town: dead. Not much happening; the recession has taken a toll.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

On my 3rd day in Estonia, I went to Valga, a boarder town btwn Estonia and Latvia. Not many tourists come here, but I wanted to see the boarder, which literaly layed right in the middle of a former one-town.

My GBs gave me only 2 hostel options, in which one of them was closed already. So I was making my way to the only accomodation available, when I found this hotel -- YES, it was a real HOTEL, and not a hostel.

Normally I prefer hostels where I can find other people to talk to, but I was very tired from travelling and was also sick of waiting hours just to use the shower, which was my hostel experience in Tallin.

So I checked to see if I could afford it. Fortunately, the Hotell Metsis (this isn't a type-o, its how they spell it) just opened and gave me a good price at around 55USD. There's about 20 rooms in total and its nice and cozy. The rooms aren't too big nor small, very nice in size, and its wooden furniture goes nice w/ the whole rural farm-house atmosphere.

I went out to see the town (OR rather, just the boarder. and that's about it.... not much to do in the town) and came back in time for dinner bcz I couldn't find 1 decent restaurant in town.

Now, before I went out, I checked at the front desk if I can have dinner there and they initially said yes, but when I came back, they were having some private dinner going on, so they said that I couldn't, so I gave up.

But the private dinner consist of only 5 people in the outside terrace which didn't seem so busy. But the lady in charge ovbiously looked at me like she didn't want to be bothered, so I very kindly asked if I could get some bread or snacks, and a bottle of water or coke or something, just to relax my stomach for the moment. The lady just snapped back at me in Estonian, and started ignoring me.
I just stood there a while to wait until her hands were free, but even when they were, and I tried to talk to here, politely as I can, she just kept ignoring me....

Then another guest, an old couple from the UK came asking for something to eat too, but the results were the same - COMPLETE IGNORANCE.

I asked the front desk for help again, but even when the front desk talked to the lady, she wouldn't serve us - NOT EVEN A BOTTLE OF WATER!!! PLUS, the front desk couldn't sell us water either bcz the restaurant was NOT HER RESPONSIBILITY.

Now, what kind or service is that???

In anycase, I ended up not eating nothing that day and the next morning. And to make matters worse, the water wasn't hot enough. It was luke warm, but I was expecting a nice hot shower. But by that time, I'd already lost the power to make another complaint against the people working there so I just gave up and left the first thing next morning.

Did I get to feel the communist-era type of service? YES, I guess I have. I've heard of it, but never really been in a communist country (and its not even communist there anymore!) so I was just shocked at the level of stupidity and ignorance, the lack of logic and flexibility they offered.

Its ironic bcz this new hotel looks glamoursly new and very western as if a symbol of the new up-coming economy Estonia is aiming for -- but the "soft-side" a.k.a. SERVICE was horrible, which really reminds you of the huge but useless apartments and towers the Russians used to built -- and the Estonians hate the Russians, but it seems like they haven't learnt from them yet.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Metsis? Share your experiences!