“Disappointing stay and even worse customer service...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cranage Hall

You added Cranage Hall to your Saves list
Cranage Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Byley Lane | Holmes Chapel, Cranage, Holmes Chapel CW4 8EW, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranage
Chesterfield
“Disappointing stay and even worse customer service...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Cranage Hall on 1st September 2012 for our 11th wedding anniversary and my husband's birthday that falls on the same day. Cranage Hall is the worst hotel we have ever stayed at and our experience here ruined our celebrations. I won't go into every detail but...
Firstly the service for our evening meal was appaulling. We waited 40minutes, yes that is correct, 40 minutes for a burger and wedges, that was nothing more than you would expect to be served at at two for one pub! Certainly not what we expected at Cranage Hall. I personally spent hours looking at hotels for our stay and after a lot of browsing decided on Cranage Hall, to be served this poor food and have such bad service, ruined our weekend.
We did complain and was told that we could have the bottle of wine we had during our meal free of charge, we didn't drink the wine anyway as it was awful.
The reason we were given was that the menu had changed that night...that would be a fine excuse if when we entered the restaurant , it had been busy. However, there were only three tables taken, including ours! Not exactly rushed off their feet at all.
I did make a complaint to the hotel and the manager Richard, did telephone me up on 4th Septemeber to personally apologise and informed me that he would refund the cost of our meal, which was £50 and also send out to my husband and I a 'special discounted' offer to stay at the hotel again, to prove that the service we received was not what Cranage Hall is about.
We are still waiting for the refund nearly two months later! How about the for customer service, definately top notch wouldn't you agree.
This so called special offer was never received either, although we would never return to this hotel or any of the hotels in the chain. I was informed last month that if I wanted to take up this offer, I needed to inform them, this might I add was only mentioned when I complained about the lack of refund...which like I have said we are still waiting for.
I would advise people to stay elsewhere and not waste their money staying at this hotel. We had stayed in Manchester the previous night at the Hilton, this was in a class off it's own and puts Cranage Hall to shame, I wish we had stayed there on both nights instead of being subjected to the Cranage Hall experience and spending my anniversary night in tears!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
aliwack1, General Manager at Cranage Hall, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
I am so sorry that you have not received your refund. I did explain on the telephone we issue refund cheques within ten working days and this was processed mid september and posted too you. Clearly you did not receive it but we would have resent it much sooner if informed.
We have now cancelled the lost cheque and re-issued and this will be sent by registered post.
Many apologies again for the delay with your food and refund which was a rare but genuine oversight by the team.

Richard Morrell General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

The conference part of the hotel is modern and feels completely different from the nursing home feel, bar doesn't suit the Country hall aesthetic and let's itself down massively with food that doesn't meet the budget standards of somewhere like Premier Inn. Plenty of potential, seriously questionable execution!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your review and will call you direct for more detail feedback. Richard Morrell General Manager
Blackpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We returned to Cranage Hall for a second visit at a discounted price as our first stay for a special occasion was a total disaster, we found the customer service was not good at all, we booked in the restaurant and we got to the restaurant to find an evening party was being held in there, not then clear were to go ? we got escorted to a conference room to eat our meal!!! and also to find our table was not ready, yet we booked this 4 hours before. We had to ask reception staff alot of information - not helpful at all!!

SECOND VISIT: Was much better than the first time however we would not return. We used the spa facilities which needs a make over as it looks a communal swimming pool, on going back to changing room there was a man mopping the showers and i was told to use the end shower while he mopped, this is totally unacceptable as he stayed in the female changing rooms while i got dressed and i had to go and shower in my room! Our room also had a strong smell of drains.

You are also in contact with the wedding functions as the bar area seems to be in a corridor so you seem to be constantly walking through the wedding guests this has happened on both occasions, not something i feel comfortable with when coming back from the spa!

Breakfast was very good although very crowded. Parking isnt very good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Had a two night break at this hotel;Food was very tasty,Tiny bath ,TV was of poor quality,no teletex.
There was a wedding on both days, this did not disturb our stay.
Plenty of choice at breakfast.All staff very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Had a quiet room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We cannot thank the staff of Cranage Hall enough for the superb job they made of organising this weekend for us. The wedding could not have gone better and I'm beginning to wonder if they also arranged the amazing weather we had too! The food was delicious and we felt totally looked after.The staff are kind and caring and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them.The bride and groom still haven't returned from cloud 9 and that is, in part thanks, to all at Cranage Hall. Thank you so much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed at Cranage Hall as part of a BSI lead auditor course on a residential basis. For this purpose, this hotel is ideal, there are plenty of meeting rooms of different sizes on both floors and all have everything required including flip charts, projectors and even a rail around the room to hold flip chart pages.
The room I stayed in was in the rear extension and had everything I required for my stay. The bathroom was clean and well fitted out and the bed had just the right comfort factor.
The TV was of a very poor quality. It was an early flatscreen design and could not adjust to widescreen format. There was a shadow burnt into the screen which proved to be somewhat annoying. There are only a few channels to choose from, but evenings were pretty much used up with studying so this wasn't an issue.
There is free WIFI, but you have to log back in every 30 minutes or pay for extended use to stop this happening.
Breakfast was good with a varied selection including a special each day. Lunch is a buffet selection with a good choice and varied throughout the week. During my 5 night stay I managed to sample several items from the evening dinner menu and can recommend the chicken tikka masala on curry night as my favourite. The burgers are also very good, but don't have a starter if you want to finish one!
The leisure club has pool, jacuzzi, a good gym, snooker and table tennis. The snooker table was in a pretty sorry state. One cue was damaged and we had to take it in turns because whoever used it was severly disadvantaged. There was no white ball although there were two yellows so we just used the paler yellow one as the white!
This hotel is aimed towards meetings and conferences for which it serves well, but not really a first choice for couples or families.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face the courtyard as people tend to gather here to smoke in the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

First time at this hotel, didn't realise it was located in Holmes Chapel and really great access from the m6 motorway. Set its own grounds with good car parking. Attended a two day work event with an overnight stay. The First thing to note is the refreshment bars - superb a good selection of beverages with snacks and not your normal one cup per delegate. Breakout facilities are superb everything well thought through. Seminar rooms are air conditioned, uncluttered and well laid out. The only challenge is noisy neighbours with only a partition between you and your neighbours. If all parties behave not a problem. Hotel rooms just amazing everything for an overnight stay. Iron, trouser press, great showers and a spacious room probably the best conference bedroom I have experienced. Leisure facilities great and worth using. Food is what you would expect variety, plenty of it and of a good quality. I understand delegate rate was competitive.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
aliwack1, General Manager at Cranage Hall, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
So pleased your meeting went so well, Thanks for the review Richad Morrell General Manager

Been to Cranage Hall? Share your experiences!