We spent two days in late dec 2013 at chail palace. The place is beautilful, the lawns, the palace and the weather. The setting is perfect, away from main town, well maintained lawns
We had planned one night stay in Rajkumari room. The room was good, gave feeling of vintage times but it had lot of issues which are hard to ignore (if the room is priced similar to 5 star properties):
1. Quilt was stkinking, we had to get it changed.
2. Furniture was in not great shape.
3. Quality of blankets, bedsheets were below average.
4. Wall paint was pealing off at places.
Staff has govt like attitude, room service takes time, they even forget what you ordered. At the five star price you expect services at least to meet 4 star standard.
Because of bad weather we could not go further as planned, and ended up staying at palace for 2nd day. To my surprise the room rates were different for 31st, only because they had included a DJ, that too in the palace complex which made a good night sleep a distant thought.
Food is average, but overpriced (the buffet).
Overall i won't visit this place again, and won't recommend it to others
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palace is run by Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation Ltd. The Palace was built in 1891 by Maharaja of Patiala and is a Premium Heritage Property. Distance from Shimla to Chail is 45 km. The suites, rooms and cottages are sumptuously furnished with ornate and antique furniture with fire place. The Palace has a bar & multi cuisine restaurant. The Palace has a Billiards room and a tennis court. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Hptdc The Chail Palace Hotel Chail
- Hptdc The Hotel Chail