“But this is Africa!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arba Minch
Paradise Lodge
You added Paradise Lodge to your Saves list
Secha area, Arba Minch, Ethiopia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Arba Minch
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“But this is Africa!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Anywhere else the standard would be down the scale but this is the Rift Valley in Africa.
Clean rooms, working bathrooms, reliable flush toilets, good food, beer and a view to die for both from the terrace and from our private patio. Oh and did I mention the swimming pool and free wifi?
Get real people, Africa is different, you can't expect the same standards as in Europe or the US. This place is just fabulous despite the idiosyncrasies.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed at this lovely hotel for three nights early february with our family (including three young kids) and we really loved it. We loved the charming room, the swimming pool and especially the amazing view. The staff was on top of everything, professional and very friendly.
The only downside was possibly the kitchen, which was OK for Ethiopian standards but not really 'yummy'. We got a little tired of it after a few lunches and dinners.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ethiopia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

no answer on our mails from Europe, we finally could got them by phone in Ethiopia, where they reserved for us a room.
Arriving at the reception the concerned day, the unkind reception people simply told us we were not on the list and there was no room.
Happily, we could find nice room in Highlight Resort with the same view and good food.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Mafio M, Public Relations Manager at Paradise Lodge, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Attention to eenEthiopia,

We have seen your review written about our property Paradise Lodge Ethiopia.
We found out that what you have written on this review is suspicious so that we have reported to tripadvisor. There was no overbooking on the mentioned date. We kindly request you, please do not review about us for the service you havent. We do respect the reviews of our real clients but not any suspicious and unreal review. Same time we kindly inform this to tripadvisor that reviews written with eenEthiopia is unreal and please see the user profile.

Mesfin Mengistu Madebo
Paradise Lodge Ethiopia
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I was told this lodge was very good but my stay here was pretty unpleasant.
To start with I booked and pre-paid a massage and when I turned up at the spa they told me they had another client and I had to go all the way back up to the reception desk to get my money back (I booked for 8pm and the guy booked for 7-8 turned up at 7.55 and they took him and turned me down....nice!). Then the staff at the restaurant completely ignored me for a good while since I was a solo traveller and they were busy with the big groups. I have to say that this happened to me a few times while in Ethiopia. The wifi connection only works at the reception and it was a hassle since my room was right at the other end and there was no wifi at the restaurant either. The food was ok but the room was terrible. My room, apart from tiny, was half of the thatch-roofed cabana. The wall between the two rooms was paper thin and you could hear every single noise coming from your neighbours, it was basically like sharing the room with strangers without seeing them. I had a very restless night. I was happy to leave the morning after!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

By far the best hotel in Arba Minch and I have stayed in 3 different ones in my two trips to Arba Minch. Although not excellent by European standards, the double rooms are nice, spacious and comfortable and clean.The single one is on a very small side though.
As in all Ehiopian hotels, maintenance could be better - leaking water pipes, water on the bathroom floor...
Good restaurant with a fabulous view!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

If only the hotel really resembled the photos! True, this hotel has a wonderful view, being situated in between the 2 lakes of Chamo and Abaya and with a view over both. The sun rise behind the mountain directly opposite the lodge is worth getting up for, and most tukuls (rooms) have a patio seating area with this magnificent view. The restaurant terrace also enjoys this view.

The restaurant is ok - they like you to have the buffet but will serve a la carte if you request it. The salads were great, good variety of drinks, excellent waiter (although getting your bill can take time). They make the pizza's with BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce though, strange and not entirely nice! Breakfast buffet is average, I would like if more fruit was provided than only banana's, as fruit is plentiful in the area (mango, papaya etc). Swimming pool is clean and large but FREEZING cold!!

The rooms are ok - try to book a tukul with a view, as there are some ordinary rooms further back in the garden and frankly without the view it's not worth staying here. The twin rooms are large and spacious, and the beds big enough that the 2 of us could fit in one. Mosquito net doesn't really fit the bed though. The double tukuls are not great, the bed is small (very short) and much smaller. Bathrooms are not great, water pressure is a bit poor and you need to turn the water heater on long before you want hot water.

My main complaint would be that in the 2 different bedrooms we stayed in there were lots of mosquito's. We didn't really encounter mosquito's inside the room in any other hotels, but here there were loads. We used the spray they provided and repellent coils (incense) we had brought ourselves.

Room Tip: Choose a twin tukul, with a view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I did a solo tour in Ethiopia and stayed every night in a different hotel. Everything was organized by tour operator Abeba Tours Ethiopia and everything was perfect. I would say this is the best hotel in Arba Minch but there is room for improvement. Bathroom was nice but not as good as in other hotels I stayed in Ethiopia. The mosquito net was smelly. Not many lights outside when walking in the dark. Very big area, and it can be quite a walk from the room to the restaurant - especially in rain. The restaurant breakfast was good with an amazing view overlooking the valley and two lakes. You can sit inside or outside. Very quiet and peaceful. I can recommend it and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Paradise Lodge? Share your experiences!