“Wonderful eco-oasis in the middle of nowhere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Awaroa Lodge

You added Peppers Awaroa Lodge to your Saves list
Peppers Awaroa Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Awaroa Bay | P.O Box 422, Abel Tasman National Park 7143, New Zealand (Formerly Awaroa Lodge)   |
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful eco-oasis in the middle of nowhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Awaroa Lodge is a delightful little peaceful oasis and a perfect base for trekking Abel Tasman in comfort. I couldn't fault it - the rooms were spacious clean and modern with lovely balconies overlooking the bush. Service was exceptional - very friendly and helpful. Food was delicious - though maybe a tiny bit overpriced. Though considering the remoteness and the efforts they make to ensure minimal visual and environmental impact to the area this is understansable. The main building had a number of great little spots both inside and out to relax over a glass of wine of beer. Getting there is easy - aboard one of the many daily ferries. And it is easy to do different parts of the track and get ferried back to the Lodge at the end of each day. Highly recommended! (And in regards dying insects on teh floor in the restaurant - yes there were a few - but you're in the middle of the bush and insects fly about and into the building. I don't think this is at all a reflection of the cleanliness of the Lodge).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Suzanne W, General Manager at Peppers Awaroa Lodge, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Kia Ora Soz11,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Peppers Awaroa Lodge.

I am delighted that you had a very enjoyable visit and that you found the service exceptional. Our team is passionate about providing a great guest experience and to find that you had a memorable stay with us is very rewarding.

This is a beautiful part of the world and we are all fortunate that we can live and work here in such a great place and all the team is happy to share our experience with our guests.

Thank you once again for your positive comments, we look forward to welcoming you back to Peppers Awaroa Lodge and the beautiful Abel Tasman again in the future.

Suzanne Wells

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I think Bbaker_sfo's review below gets the atmosphere of this lodge very well. It's a real, morphed mix of things - some very sophisticated, some very homely, but still appealing - that reflects the evolution of the place since it opened in (I think) 1991. Personally, I love it. I stayed in one of the flash new architecturally designed Superior Suites so my experience was very much as if I was in a big, well-appointed 5-star hotel room with everything I wanted. There wasn't TV or cell phone coverage or even newspapers (there was Wi-Fi) but after a day I couldn't care less about not being as plugged in as usual to the 'grid'.

The surrounding environment is entrancing. You find yourself slowing down and just sitting on your private balcony (with a glass of wine of course) paying attention to the birdsong and tiny shifts in the wind and clouds and weather. Go for a walk and there's wetland and bushland and an amazing pristine beach all in close reach. I even loved the "rock and roll"-looking airstrip that would be rather bumpy to land or take off from, but it obviously works. In summer here, it must be like paradise with the sea like a big, safe swimming pool. It was too early in the season though when I visited for swimming.

I quite liked the "Hobbit"-type effect of the lodge still having some of the furnishings in the public areas that go back to its earlier days. It's cute and comfortable. I can imagine no better thing than to be staying/holing up here during really bad weather: in the lobby areas you feel safe and cocooned and protected - and even in my suite when it poured with rain overnight one night I felt the same. Lovely feeling. There are fireplaces and seating nooks in the lobby areas. Open the wine!

I think the food here is brilliant. The new chef who joined at the opening of the 2013 season trained at both the London Ritz and the Paris Ritz and has worked in Michelin restaurants around the world and hoo boy, he makes the best and most addictive frites that I've had in years! You have got to order them as a side dish. And he makes perfect rare rack of lamb. And lots else. Everything I tried was cooked and prepared perfectly. The breads are baked on-site and are delicious. I also like the focus in the restaurant on wines from the Tasman and Nelson region because they are often wrongly overshadowed by the big "noisy" labels from Marlborough. The lodge certainly renewed my interest in wines from this area. I wish I lived in the area so I could come in by water taxi at times for a long lunch.

Because of its location and the great care that the lodge takes to reduce its environmental impact, it's a bit more expensive to stay here than in comparable places. I didn't mind that so much. I met some lovely people from Europe and South America during my stay and the service from the staff was attentive and obliging. I also quite like the democratic nature of the place where hikers from the Abel Tasman Coastal Track walk in to the courtyard with the backpacks and have lunch. Would I come back? Yep. I think about the place and its wonderful sense of peace and beauty now when I daydream. It reminded me how utterly beautiful New Zealand is. It was excellent for my blood pressure!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Suzanne W, General Manager at Peppers Awaroa Lodge, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Kia Ora,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was very happy to read that you have enjoyed your time in the Abel Tasman National Park and particularly Peppers Awaroa Lodge. As we are very fortunate to live in such a beautifal part of NZ , we incorporate the regions food and wine into our menus to ensure our guests have a great regional experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to Peppers Awaroa Lodge in the future.

Peppers Awaroa Lodge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

If you're serious about exploring the incredible natural beauty of Able Tasman National Park on the northern tip of New Zealand's southern island - and you're able to pay up a bit for a luxury lodge - the Peppers Awaroa Lodge is your place.

Facilities: somehow luxurious, lodge-y, eco-conscious, friendly, and homey all at the same time.

Rooms: we paid up for the larger room, and it's perfect. A little patio overlooking the wetlands is a perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine or a beer after your day of hiking around the park. Beds are comfy and everything is 1st class.

Service: everyone was extremely friendly and went out of the way to he helpful.

Food: you don't really have any other options when you stay here, but luckily, their food is excellent! The kitchen kicks out trendy menus with fresh ingredients. Try the lamb!

• Stayed November 2013
Kia Ora Bbaker_sfo,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay here at Peppers Awaroa Lodge.

We are very fortunate that we have the natural beauty of the Abel Tasman in our "back yard" as not many people can boast having this on their doorstep!

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the service excellent and the staff friendly. We have a great team who pride themselves on knowing what matters to our guests. I was pleased to note also that you enjoyed the lamb, it is actually my favourite dish on the menu!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Peppers Awaroa in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I'm in two minds about this place.

Let's get the positives out the way first :
- Great location
- Friendly staff
- Comfortable rooms

Unfortunately its let down on delivery:
- It suffers from the Pepper's problem of "everything extra" and overpriced under-quality food.

Normally, the above would have equaled a distinctly average "meh" from me, and a 3 point rating here on TA.

However, I've marked it as Poor due to one, absolutely unforgivable reason.....

The terrible cleanliness of the food service area.

The resort was not busy by any means, I was given a nice enough table on for dinner on the first night. I noticed two dead flies on the end of the table by the window. I made a mental note....

At breakfast the next morning, I was invited to pick a table since the restaurant was largely empty apart from one other table. I purposefully picked the same table. Again, I had the company of the same two flies for breakfast, their position exactly the same !

I thought fine, I'll give them one more chance. I opted for the same table at dinner again. And yes, you've guessed it, the same company present ... two flies, position unchanged, plus one more buzzing as it was perishing on its back.

Alright I thought, maybe I've just been unlucky. So I picked a different table for breakfast, in a different room, the covered conservatory area. No windowsills in this area, but plenty of dead insects at floor level.

If this was the state of visible cleanliness, I dread to think what other areas were like. Infact, if I had any choice, I would have not dined there beyond the first night, but unfortunately there's not much choice given the location !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Suzanne W, General Manager at Peppers Awaroa Lodge, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Kia Ora,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit with us at Peppers Awaroa Lodge.

I was please to read that you found our rooms comfortable and the staff friendly during your stay.
I was most disappointed to read that you were let down by the cleanliness of the restaurant. We live in a bush environment and as such have to deal with a number of challenges including managing pests and insects.
We do have an environmentally friendly spray that we use in the Lodge, including the restaurant, hence the number of dead flies we constantly have to pick up. It appears that we have failed to do this on this occasion and your comments have prompted a review by the team of our processes, so I thank you for highlighting this to us. We welcome all feedback as knowing what matters to our guests is very important to us.

I trust you enjoyed your visit to the Abel Tasman National Park and Peppers Awaroa Lodge and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This has to be one of the most beautiful locations in the world. Everyone must visit it to see. The food was outstanding. The setting of the lodge is amazing too. Lots to do and very relaxing. The service of the front of line staff was awful. Rooms are nice, tidy and clean.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Suzanne W, General Manager at Peppers Awaroa Lodge, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Kia Ora Courtney,

I am pleased to read that you found the food exceptional and our rooms clean and comfortable and you had a relaxing stay.

Here at Peppers Awaroa Lodge, we pride ourselves in offering a great guest experience and to read that you found the service poor is disappointing.

Courtney, you are most welcome to contact me directly on 03528 8758, I would like your feedback regarding the service and any suggestions that you have are most welcome.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Our stay at Peppers Awaroa Lodge was fantastic. Nestled in the heart of the Abel Tasman National Park, there is no place like it in New Zealand. I had been to Awaroa two times before we were lucky enough to stay at the Lodge and we stayed 1 night. The staff were great - friendly and helpful. The room was great and secluded - king bed, private balcony. Both meals at the restaurant got an honest 4.5/5 which in our books is really high! If you have never been to Awaroa, let alone Abel Tasman, add it to your bucket list.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at Awaroa Lodge just after Christmas with friends, and had such a fabulous time, that I decided to stay again for a couple of nights at Easter after walking the Abel Tasman Coastal Track during the holiday weekend.
Again I found the staff to be super friendly, and very helpful. A friendly welcome at Reception after three days hiking was a wonderful reminder of how great this place is! It was so nice to have a couple of nights at Awaroa Lodge to look forward to as I started out on the track.
This is a fabulous hideaway, with very friendly helpful staff, great facilities, and great food!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Peppers Awaroa Lodge? Share your experiences!