“It is not as wonderful as it was” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Awaroa Lodge

You added Peppers Awaroa Lodge to your Saves list
Peppers Awaroa Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Awaroa Bay | P.O Box 422, Abel Tasman National Park 7143, New Zealand (Formerly Awaroa Lodge)   |
Toronto, Ontario
“It is not as wonderful as it was”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Like many I was back after having had such a terrific time here about 4 years ago. We were disappointed. The service was sufficiently friendly but insufficient in terms of competence and conveying a sense of welcome and being attuned to client's needs. We were billed for things we did not consume, most of the wine by the glass was unavailable (as the lodge was soon to be closing down for Winter -- but people its $300 a night or so!); and many of the bottles of wine were not available all. Unsurprisingly we were pressed by the staff to drink beer! I also found the room to be a bit cold at this time of year.

On the bright side we found the food, although highly priced, to be excellent. And of course its the most spectacular setting and the lodge itself is a beautiful design. I hope that it get backs the wonderful vibe it had a few years ago.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

We cannot fault our stay at the Awaroa Lodge in any way. We found the accommodation to be comfortable, the staff to be helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was excellent I do not have any allergies but am really fussy and everything I asked for I was given. The breakfast was plentiful, the evening meal of a high standard and cooked to perfection, this is a huge compliment for someone as fussy as me!

Despite comments from other people that meals are expensive you have to bear in mind the location of the hotel it is very remote and all food has to be brought in especially so you have to expect to pay higher than in other locations but the size of the meal makes up for this.

Our stay there was restful, it was great to be away from mobile, phones, televisions and cars rushing everywhere. There are many wonderful walks you can go on and a beach that is visited by birds and seashells not hordes of people!

We will return here without a doubt in 2013 when we to New Zealand again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

It's a beautiful lodge in a pristine natural setting - unfortunately, management is only interested in gouging customers. I pre-booked a group and was given a fixed-price dinner that cost more than if I ordered off the menu on my own. If you are going to upsell everyone to a fixed price menu (especially for a large group) - it shouldn't cost more than menu. This was just one of the poor service related experiences I've had there. In trying to discuss with management - all I got was a drunk who told me to take it or leave it. Well, I'm leaving it and the next time I decide to bring a large group of people to New Zealand - there is no way I will be coming back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
awaroagm, Manager at Peppers Awaroa Lodge, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
As GM I personally handled this complaint at the time and ordered the restaurant manager to deduct $5 from all group diners. The group desert chosen brought their bill to $2 under the quoted price, however the a la carte menu allowed them to order whatever they desired from the menu and could easily have been much more than the price quoted. At the time I spoke to members of this group, most commented to me that they had enjoyed every minute of our wonderful lodge. It only takes one moaner to ruin it for everyone else. By the way I am the drunk and my philosophy is that the guest is always, but always right. Even if he isn't.
Lindfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

This is undoubtedly the most stunning location and the lodge itself is beautiful; the rooms are excellent. Staff are very friendly and helpful. We were upgraded, which was a bonus BUT it is expensive. It's come a long way from the rough chalets and not necessarily to a better place. Food was good but veering on the pretentious - frankly the meal was better without the sauces. The cafe was not open during our stay and I missed the opportunity to eat with less formality. I felt that they were aiming at a high price customer and the eco tag was more a selling point than a real commitment. The piped music in the public areas was vile - real aural pollution. I was told that if there was none, people complained but I cannot believe anyone goes to Awaroa to hear elevator music. The birds and the breeze are enchanting enough. I would love to return but probably not to the Lodge in its present state.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I was browsing trip advisor and surprisingly came across a negative review of Awaroa Lodge at Abel Tasman Park, New Zealand.
First of all I would like to mention that I have worked consulting for the travel industry for many years. My wife and I (originally from Germany) stayed at Awaroa Lodge last year in November 2010 to de-stress and relax.
We had one of the best times for a number of reasons: The location is superb and secluded. The accommodation is excellent and we had a nice cleaned room. The hosts and staff were very service oriented and we are in the middle of "eine wunderbare Wilderness" and still enjoyed a proper 4-star establishment. We especially enjoyed the white beach with hardly anyone on it and the coastal hiking that is easy going yet breathtaking in places.
The staff made us very welcome and the new conservatory dining overlooking the pukeka hens marshland was exceptional.
I agree it is a bit expensive but that is due to the high infrastructure costs, as they use a generator to provide electricity as well as having to comply with the council's strict rules on rubbish Removal. I noticed that they are a benchmark property with Earthcheck and this is not easily achieved. We believe we received value for money and we would stay at Awaroa again.
For all of those who want to get away from it all in order to fully relax and re-charge the batteries, my wife and I can only recommend this unique and amazing place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

For the price of $395/night for a standard room we came with expectations to match. Unfortunately the product was very inferior: our room was small and lacked the decor one would expect of a first class resort. The wood table and chairs on our porch were stained & dirty; the buildings (main lodge and cottages) may have been okay when first constructed but now appear tired and worn. The grounds appear the same - the walkways require daily care (raking up dead leaves/wood, raking sand paths) however they were messy.

The dining: all meals are charged on top of the $395 (even an apple). They are barely okay, but not great - they should be exceptional!

The resort personnel: the manager skulks around the place barking orders to the staff - never once greeted us upon our arrival or looked like we were even welcome there. The staff are young and inexperienced foreign help - lovely people, although unfortunately are often unable to make themselves understood and unable to answer the simplest of questions.

The whole idea of the place being 'eco friendly/sustainable' works against them. I overheard a guest asking if the fridge in their room would be on during the night when the rest of the power is cut off (!) because she had medication that needed to be kept cool - the answer was very confusing but amounted to "NO".

There were kind staff members (MIke and Shirley) but that isn't enough to warrant us ever going back. The beach is fabulous, but it would be smarter to take a water taxi from Kaiteriteri for a day trip - and much cheaper.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

We recently brought a group of 14 people with very discerning tastes to Awaroa Lodge for two nights. We found the service and hospitality as good as we’ve ever experienced in a wilderness lodge setting. We were at Awaroa with two different groups of 14 in November 2008. There’s no comparison with regard to service, hospitality, eco-consciousness and general comfort! The new owner and staff obviously know what they’re doing. We’d go back in a moment and will continue to use the lodge as a part of our New Zealand offerings.

Pam and Bill Bryan, Co-Founders, Off the Beaten Path.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Peppers Awaroa Lodge? Share your experiences!