“Fantastic Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Hiking Trails, Sports
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Hiking (or "tramping" as New Zealanders call it) from one end to the other of this 32-mile track will take days, so if you're time-constrained, pick up a section of it. The view can't be beat as you walk through sandy bays and lagoons, past coves and estuaries.
Halifax, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I had been in New Zealand on a photography shoot,I was being guided by a couple of Kiwis who said emotionally, to walk the Able Tasman was a must do. We were nearby in Nelson and came up to the park the night before and stayed with friends of theirs.I had only a day so they suggested I take a water taxi up the coast to the area of Bark Bay I believe it was ,they claimed that this area of the park was pristine.The water taxi brought me right up onto the beach where I hopped out into waist deep water I walked the length of this beautiful beach and started to hike the trail which more or less followed the coast through beautiful forests for several hours ending up in Torrent Bay where i was to meet up with the water taxi again. This time for me in the park was simply fantastic much to short ,but I was grateful for the experience the forest trek was a decent hike moderately challenging up and down hills and valleys ,saw some wildlife, birds mostly. I was enjoying myself and was sad to see the trail end,I found myself on another amazing tidal beach in Torrant Bay.
A note to myself that on my next trip here 2-3 days is needed which would include overnights and kayaking in this beautiful place.I highly recommend this trek,and if by chance you take the water taxi one way or the other note that you will get wet ,depending on the tide the boats can only come in so far on the flats.

Visited February 2012

Wellington, New Zealand
8 attraction reviews
“A must do for anyone visiting New Zealand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Abel Tasman has been high on my list of places to visit before leaving New Zealand and it certainly didn’t disappoint! The weather was fantastic, the scenery was stunning and the overall experience was incredible. We spent a day kayaking up the coast from Marahau to Anchorage bay; we were told that the trip would take approx. 4 hours but we managed to do it in just over 2, however we didn’t stop on the way. A water taxi collected the kayak and the following day we trekked back along the track. The walk was fairly easy and the track is relatively consistent but the views were second to none; lots of photo opportunities and tracks to suit all abilities. I would recommend the Abel Tasman to be high on the list of spots to visit when in New Zealand.

Visited October 2012
Vancouver, BC, CAD
21 attraction reviews
“Abel Tasman National Park…”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We did a trek with ‘Wilson’ adventure. I think this trek has a difficulty rating of 7, with a 10 being impossible for mortals! The trek is more suited to very healthy youth instead of us seniors! Anyways, the boat ride allowed us to see NZ Penguins, Cormorants and NZ seals. The boat captain was quite informative and took the time to answer all our questions. The walk was advertised as 10.6 kms, however I think it was a lot more than that, as I clearly counted 4 signs fixed at ‘2.8 kms to go’! The elevation changes were severe and approximated at 200 meters. The swing bridge was quite a spectacle. The last uphill did us in real bad, overall yet a wonderful trek. I recommend this one to the healthy and physically fit. ‘Wilson’ adventures make an effort to satisfy the customer and show a very recognizable sense of sincerity, I recommend them highly.

Visited October 2012
NZ
10 attraction reviews
“One of the Great Walks in New Zealand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The coastal walk has everything, stunning scenery, local native birdlife and plants in abundance and secluded white sand beaches to stop and enjoy. Easy to take one of the shuttle boats up and walk a different section each day, catching the shuttle boat back each evening.

Visited September 2012
West Coast
13 attraction reviews
“Abel Tasman Coast Track”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Great walk, very uncrowded in winter, great time to go to avoid the thousands that can be on the track in summer. Huts are practically empty and there is very little wind.

Visited August 2012