“Outrageously overpriced! ” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 South Brent B&B and Inns
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
“Outrageously overpriced! ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I have, during my life, travelled all over the world and enjoyed some wonderful dining experiences over the years, from cheap and cheerful, honest food, to Michelin starred fine dining. I don't remember ever before having left a restaurant feeling like I been ripped off, until now. I honestly think the over-friendly, constantly smiling owner is taking the piss!
The food, whilst cooked well enough, is grossly overpriced, and even if the prices were halved, I would still feel robbed. I'm happy enough to pay for food that really stands out and sets the senses alive, but I want to feel that I am getting value for money. I didn't experience either at Glazebrook, and I left feeling cheated and, worse yet, still hungry!
The staff were all very pleasant, attentive and welcoming. The setting and decor was nice enough. I can't comment on the hotel or the grounds as I only visited the restaurant. My initial impression was favorable, however, the place itself has pretensions of grandeur to which the atmosphere and the menu fail to meet.
My meal comprised of a crab ravioli starter, and a pork based main. The description of the ravioli in the menu made the £10 dish seem irresistible. What was presented before me made me laugh out loud at the audacity of the price! A single, small piece of ravioli containing less than a half teaspoon of crab. Although the presentation was uninspiring, it was cooked well enough. But I honestly thought that at the price being charged, they were surely going to be bringing my starter out one piece at a time. Sadly not.
When my main meal arrived, I hoped that it would make up for what the starter lacked. Again I was disappointed. The description read pork loin with pork belly and vegetables. Being that these are the two cheapest cuts of pork that you can buy, at £21 the dish would have to be something special. It wasn't. Once again, it was cooked well enough. The presentation was okay, but the dish itself was seriously lacking the finesse that I would expect for the 'fine dining' price being charged.
In summary, I'm not sure what the Glazebrook is, or where it fits into the dining experience. If it's aspiring to Michelin standards, it needs to up its game. If it's trying to provide honest food, then it seriously needs to adjust its prices to reflect that,or at least present a plate of food that warrants such high charges. For me, I left feeling very disappointed. I did not feel I got value for money, and I went away still feeling hungry. There are much better places to eat in the area.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

fab hotel decked out beautifully. very welcoming staff and owner. main course at dinner was disappointing but apart from that everything else very nice. ideally want to rent the whole place for a weekend house party - would lend itself very well to that!

Room Tip: they all look fab!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Joined a large party having a Christmas meal at the Glazebrook. Found the hotel easily, welcomed into the bar for a pre-dinner drink. Unfortunately not told some of our party were in another room, but we did find them. Explored the beautiful rooms and their eclectic mix of striking decor. Meal very nice, good well known local chefs in the kitchen, some tweaking to dishes required but over all a good experience. Wine was beautiful. A better quality cracker would have been a nice touch. The owner was there to chat to us all which was a lovely touch. The building has had a dramatic makeover and is well worth a visit for a meal.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

From the moment you arrive at Glazebrook House you are met with a level of opulence not seen at other hotels. The decor is amazing, done in a quirky Alice in wonderland theme, the walls are adorned in Drums, trumpets, plates, trays, around every corner you discover something new, another surprise.
Pieter, Fran, Gita and Chloe are the perfect hosts, nothing is to much trouble, you are always met with a friendly smile and a chat and they go out of there way to make you feel at home.

Our suite was the extremely lavish and luxurious White Rabbit suite ( highly recommended ), the centrepiece a huge bed , chandeliers for bed side lights, a large Sony interactive tv and i-pad for entertainment including net fix, complementary mini bar that included soft drinks, wine and larger.

The bath room was enormous with double sinks, roll top bath, walk in shower, luxury toiletries.
Views from all the windows are off the beautiful Devon countryside the location of the hotel is perfect to relax and unwind.

Plymouth is only 20 minutes away, the same for Totnes, the location is ideal to vist everything Devon has to offer.

Glazebrook House is the new gem on the Devon boutique hotel scene pure luxury, Don't hesitate just book it you will not be disappointed

Room Tip: White Rabbit suite for a special treat
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed for a night for my husbands 40th birthday, which was recommended to us by the owners of The Treby Arms.
Absolutely stunning hotel, which is fun and quirky.
Great food, very friendly staff. Faultless in every way.
We will definitely be back very soon.
Thank you to everyone at Glazebrook House hotel for making our stay so perfect.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Having been to Glazebrook many times in the past (as it used to be on our doorstep) and witnessed its slow demise into obscurity, thanks entirely to owners with no hotel business acumen, the change brought about by the new owners, Pieter and Fran, is simply staggering. Everything about the new Glazebrook is stunningly superb.

This hotel is now seriously going places. Just watch as the professional accolades pour in.

Devon has needed this hotel and it will be an even better County for it.

Having recently stayed at The Combe House Hotel, Gittisham, near Honiton, which many reviewers describe as total luxury, I would say come to the Glazebrook if you wish to experience true luxury. There is absolutely no comparison especially when it comes to the bedrooms.

Cannot wait to rebook.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the best hotels we have stayed at ever. Nothing is too much trouble for Peter and his staff. The decor is fabulous. Slightly quirky but also tastefully done. Add to this an excellent restaurant and cuisine and you have perfection. Would recommend to anyone.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Been to Glazebrook House Hotel? Share your experiences!