“Sunday carvery” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
South Shields, United Kingdom
“Sunday carvery”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

All I can say is "what a disappointment". Went with my partner yesterday for the first time. It was near to closing time of the restaurant where the carveries are served. We were told by the waiter there were 3 options of carvery being that you had a choice of 2, 3 or 4 meats. My partner went to the bar for drinks & at same time paid for a medium size meal. We both went to the carvery and asked the chef? carver? what the meats were and how many did a medium size mean we could have. He was abrupt and totally unhelpful. My partner chose beef, pork and turkey. The beef was lean and looked lovely, however he was given the outside of the pork and there had already been a thick piece of turkey cut off the previous joint and he then cut that into pieces. It was really dried out looking. Anyway for my selection not liking beef I chose pork, turkey and ham. I was given the outside of the turkey, the ham must have stood a while and rather than cut the dried out end off he put that on my plate and I was given a piece of pork. Once at our table when I went to cut the pork it was in one piece and was completely held together with FAT. It was disgusting and totally off putting. I called the waiter over explaining it was our first time there, the chef hadn't been very helpful and I was really disappointed with the meat. He apologised. By this time the meats had all been cleared away from the carvery (the other restaurant next door was still open and busy). I put the pork onto a serviette and he took it away. My ham was dried out and the turkey on the tough side. To say we were disappointed with our meal is an understatement as my brother speaks highly of this place. The waiter didn't come back with any feedback so obviously just put the fatty pork in the bin! I'm no prude when it comes to food expecting meat to be totally fat free but this fatty, tough, dried out offering was an expensive waste of money.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
“Regular customers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Food excellent, menu extensive, well worth the money for a good day or night out. Staff always seem to go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Good for special occasions or a just when you can't be bothered to make tea!

Visited May 2013
Scone, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Great choice of menu - both full meals and snacks. Be really hungry before you order - huge portions! mmmmmm!

Visited May 2013
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Resting on laurels”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My family and I recently visited The South Causey Inn, on an early Tuesday evening.
We were the first guests in the restaurant, so the staff were attentive. What else could they be?
I ordered a steak from a menu which virtually boasts of the cooking styles for the uninitiated: blue, rare etc. "Great!" thought I -these people know what they're doing with the meat.
So imagine my disappointment when my ordered, pricey, rare steak arrived at the table in the incinerated form that I consider, 'well done'.
When the waiter asked the rote question about whether everything was okay, I pointed out that my meat was a little more burnt than I'd ordered. "Oh dear" he said. "I'll let the chef know".
And that was it.
Until a second waiter arrived and asked about our satisfaction. Again, I made noises about my disappointment and asked that my still full plate be bagged up -after all, I thought, I could recycle my overdone, £15 steak in a sandwich.
But once again, the somewhat vacant looking youth made noises which sounded positive, but he simply strolled off and I assume, deposited my untouched dinner in the bin because no doggy bag arrived.
We made further noises to the original waiter who merely ummed and ahhed at our complaint.
At this point, I wanted to scoop out my eyes with the dessert spoon but instead opted to pay the extortionate tab and leave.
So, to sum up; maybe it was an off day for chef and waiting staff but quite frankly, at those prices, there shouldn't be off days.
I titled this piece 'resting on their laurels', because it seems that the S. Causey Inn is somewhat delusional about its status; they are more than happy to charge that extra 20% more on their menu than other local restaurants, but don't put in the customer service legwork or food quality to justify this excess.
I will not be returning to this place until

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“Great food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We went here after a friend recommended it. What a treat. I had the homemade steak and kidney pie and it was worth the 25 min wait, best I've had and all freshly cooked (even pastry). The menu is very good with a massive variety. If you can't find something you like then don't eat out.
Once again great food and great service.

• Visited May 2013