“lovely” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant

You added The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant to your Saves list
The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   52 - 53 Market Place, Middleton in Teesdale DL12 0QH, England   |
Yorkshire,
“lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have just returned from a two night stay (Groupon). We found it very nice indeed. warm, comfortable, extremely clean and a lovely HOT shower. We had a king size bed which was very welcome after 2 full days of walking. We relaxed in the evening on large red leather sofas with a drink or two, very nice.

I have given the hotel top marks on everything as I can see the owners take great care and work extremely hard (harder than most people I think) However I would just like to comment on a couple of things. I do not want to "mark down" as I think it would be very unfair as in general I think it is a first class place.

The young man who seems to be there 24/7 never ever stopped running about. greeting, reception. porter, barman, waiter, cleaner etc etc etc He was so busy and I hope he does not "burn out" by his constant working!

We decided not to eat at the hotel as my husband and myself would want a vege option. There was alot of meals on the menu eg rabbit pie, duck, lamb. I did ask and he said chef would be more than happy to speak to us and make us amything we asked for in the vege line. It was our choice not to take up the offer as we were not sure what was on offer and how it would work? That was up to us and I am sure chef would indeed have done this. We are not "foodies" and think the whole experiece would have been wasted on us. I did notice the dining room was beautiful with candles and a lovely French feel to it.

I read in the welcome brochure that the "groupon" breakfast was a set menu. Choice of two...full English or continental. That's ok , I would not expect to choose off the very sophisticated menu. We sat down and waited quite a while with nobody around. Another single guest told us chef was busy making his breakfast so we waited. Chef came out and we ordered a full English and a continental. It took quite a long time, about 20 minutes at least. The young man then arrived and brough my husband tea and myself an OJ. Eventually my husband was given his breakfast and I waited a while. I had become confused as to what I was "entitled" to. There was no sign of any cereal or anything else. I could not remember exactly what the welcome pack said. The young man then brough me a choc au pain and a croissant. The croissant was abit black and burnt in top. when I touched it the top was brittle and cracked into pieces leaving a doughy middle. I did not eat it. My husband ate the c a p. I could not find anyone to ask if there would be anything else coming? I could hear people talking in the kitchen but felt I did not want to go in there so I just left it at that.

The next morning I was going to ask the waiter what the deal was. There was a big party of 9 people waiting to be served and they were not "groupons" There was a very nice selection of fresh fruit, cereal and other continental type breakfast goods. I did not feel like getting any as it did not seem to be for the deal customers.
My husband had the full breakfast and I asked for OJ, coffee (which I did not get on day 1) and toast. We were brought this but no mention of anything else..I did not feel able to mention it at the time. I think if I had done I would have been obliged but I felt awkward and did not mention it..my decision.

I think maybe the deals should be clarified or offered in full? I did not know what was expected at breakfast?
I have not marked the service as it was because I am sure it is not usually like this?
The waiter and chef were just so busy I could not really get hold of them and also felt abit stinghy by asking for what I could have, it would have been easier to be offered?

The area round Middleton was outstandingly beautiful and we walked and walked.
Will definitely go back again.

Hope this is of value and is not actually a "contructive criticism" it is just a comment which I hope will be of some help to you and to other "deal" customers.

I wish you well and realise how very hard you all work. More staff would help alot but I realise that this woulsd all be extra overheads to you.

thank's for a great stay.

Room Tip: No problem with our room (1)..we did notice the "creaking floorboards" but it caused us no...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Barnard Castle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We went back to the Forresters for dinner last week after a superb meal the last time we went. I visit one restaurant in Teesdale and the surrounding area at least once a week and was looking forward to this visit. Things always seem better in memories..lol. No need to worry here another exceptional meal. The food was superb and the service was just right.
There are many good eating venues in Teesdale but this place remains my favorite. I will add reveiws on the other places I visit in the coming weeks

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Have just returned from 2 night groupon stay.Our room was room no.1 which all guests had to pass to reach their rooms.We found this extremely noisy as the floorboards inside and outside the room very creaky-if we had been staying more than 2 nights we would have requested a different room.Also brought it to the attention of Callum that the bathroom door made a dreadful noise on opening & closing.On the plus side the room was warm and cosy with quality towels & toiletries.
We were a little disappointed with the full English breakfast on the first day-particularly the1x small strip of streaky bacon with very little meat and 1 x piece of fried bread approx 2 inches diameter,the rest was ok.On day 2 I opted for the continental breakfast- I chose a box of crunchy nut cornflakes,a croissant and toast and jam.My croissant was uncooked in the middle,and there was some mould on my toast which was replaced.I had to request something to have with my croissant as on its own it would have been tastless.I thought perhaps it was one of those croissants that come it a tin that you buy in the supermarket and just pull one out and cook ?
We didn't really feel in a position to complain as this was a Groupon deal,but were a little disappointed after reading the previous excellent comments.

Room Tip: Request not to have room 1.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We very much enjoyed our 2 night stay. The room, and quirky en-suite, were spotlessly clean and comfortable with quality toiletries and towels etc provided. The cheerful and friendly service provided by Callum and Sophie was wonderful and the food was superb. Paris trained chef Fabien deserves the nickname 'Fab' as he really made our stay memorable. Thank you so much for the special request dessert, it really meant a lot to us. We can't thank the staff enough.

Redcar, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

2 day stay with a Groupon deal.very good, wonderful staff especiallyCallum ,a one man wirlwind.
Staff at breakfast great nothing to much for her.Good room (5)with upstairs shower etc room a bit strange but worked well.Food especially good best steak my husband has had.Dog treated like a family member.All in all wonderful

Room Tip: Traffic noise early doors,back room might suit if bothered
Keighley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Enjoyed a long weekend with friends at this lovely hotel. The staff were very kind and helpful with special mention to Sophie and Callum who couldn't do enough for us. Breakfast was excellent {even on the KGB deal} and the evening meal was beautifuuly prepared, fresh and tasty. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and we had no problem sleeping even in the room on the road side. The area is great for walking, cycling or simply sight seeing as the surrounding roads are very quiet. Extra staff on a Saturday evening would help as Callum was the only person working and he had to take orders, serve a large number of meals in the reataurant and also serve drinks in the bar. Would recommend to others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Lovely Hotel, serving beautiful food, Made very welcome once again .
This is the third time i have stayed here. The staff worked very hard indeed, nothing too much trouble for them.
Rooms are very comfortable, modern bathrooms, very clean ,
The food is very good great menu and fresh produce.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Forresters Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!