“not as bad as expected” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“not as bad as expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

My friend and I visited on good Friday with our daughters.As it was earlier the place was empty which meant there was plenty of tables available however our waitress chose to seat us in a dingy corner which meant going down steps and as I use a walking stick this was difficult .After ordering we waited ages for the starter to arrive it was edible ,not hot which was surprising given how long we waited .The plates cleared and again we waited ages for the mains to arrive .I had faithas of prawn and beef I did want vegetable one but here they don't offer it .They were OK hot unlike the starter but meat was tough and we had to order guacamole extra as it doesn't come with it unlike other places .The rice was awful brown ,cold and tasteless so we mixed it in with the mains to make it edible . Dessert was in my opinion the best part and it came quickly compared to the wait we had with the mains . We were using the early bird option which made the meal cheaper .The normal price I feel would be very expensive as the food isn't great quality as I had previously eaten here before and felt the quality hasn't really improved .The waitress gave us minimum contact so it would be difficult to complain given their lack of contact with customers .Also whilst it is clean the place could use a uplift .Overall I would come back as it was OK for the price

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Argyll & Bute
“Huge portions!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

My first time in El Gringos was not dissapointing! If you can get past the dated interior & stained seats then you will get fed a delicious mexican fusion meal! There are loads of dishes to choose from ranging from nachos, to burgers to burritos. The prices are extremly reasonable & if you book the early bird deal they are even more terrific value for money! I went with my boyfriend & another couple & we all had a drink & main course each for under £40!
We did have to wait a while for our mains but once we saw the huge plateful we understood!!
I will certainally be back the next time I'm down that way!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Not bad.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Been to this restaurant a few times, friendly staff, food 'acceptable to good'. Surroundings in need of refurbishment. There is discount on main courses on early bird offer, paying full price would be over priced in our opinion. Seems very popular with families.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Malton, England, United Kingdom
“AMAZING! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I am a regular customer who comes in every week for a take away. I am addicted. All them bad reviews are a load of rubbish because el gringos is just amazing. All the girls and I think two lads are just excellent. When I go in they are all smiley, the owner is just the loveliest man ever. When I first started coming to el gringos I thought it was great the staff are very reassuring. All them bad reviews don't know what the are talking about. Yes sometimes you might be waiting that bit longer for your food but with Mexican food your fed a lot so there is more to cook and also it's extremely popular so it will be busy. I have chicken enchilada everytimes it's to die for. It's amazing. And the belly buster is just excellent.

York, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

The portions are just too big, it's probably better to share! The food is tasty and the staff are friendly. It can get a bit noisy but overall it's a great place to eat.

Visited January 2014