“Another great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Malton
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Another great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Visited the Talbot again and once again we were not dissappointed. This time we were given a room on the second floor. It was very spacious and luxurious. The view of the hills outside Malton sprinkled with snow when we woke was magnificent. The food at dinner was fabulous, the duck starter was a revelation and the passion fruit mousse finished off the meal in style. The comfortable sofas in front of the fires in the elegant drawing room is the perfect place to have coffee after dinner or afternoon tea on a cold day. The staff are professional and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. I recommend the Talbot to anyone who wants to experience good service in refined surrounding and fabulous food, We will be back soon.

Room Tip: all the rooms are of a very high standard. There is no lift so ask for the first floor if you aren...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeremy d, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear RomanaJ 1951,

Thank you for your very kind words following your recent stay.

I am glad that you enjoyed the service so much and our food offering.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Jeremy du Plessis.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Having booked a table at The Leeds Kitchen in December for my birthday in March, we were devastated to find out that the Casino had closed, which included the two reastaurants. So we had to come up with another idea. What a good idea we had. We stayed at The Talbot hotel on my birthday (17th March) and had a fantastic time, The Hotel, the staff and especially the food, could not have been better. Will definately be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeremy d, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Diane R,

Thank you very much for your kind words following your recent stay with us at The Talbot.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed the service and our food offering and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kindest regards,

Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We went to this hotel with very high expectations, particularly regarding the food given James Martin's connection. On arrival, we were told our rooms would be ready later i the afternoon so we had a drink and lunch in the bar. The lighter lunch options were very tasty and we certainly enjoyed it albeit the service was very slow.

When we finally accessed our room, it was large and comfortable with a smart, clean bathroom with separate bath and shower area which I always prefer. However, whilst our friends had a room with slippers and bathrobes, sadly we did not. The room was also unbelievably hot but you couldn't really leave the window open as it fronted onto the main road and was pretty noisy.

When it came to dinner, we had asked for a table near the window if possible. Instead we were shown into the far corner of a secondary dining area - pretty much as far away from a window as it might be possible to get! To be honest, I and my friend found the food disapointing. Flavourless smoked salmon, a huge hunk of beef cheek that was well cooked enough but also lacked flavour and an OK but small chese board. Not what we had hoped for although nothing specific to complain about. Just disappointing.

We were woken at 8am by the housekeeping staff talking loudly to each other - come on guys, it was a Sunday! Breakfast was OK but the kippers must have had the most bones I have ever experienced!

Little details were missed. For example, on the impressive staircase, nearly every other bulb on the light fittings weren't working.

So good, but could do a lot better and I think Mr Martin should spend a little more time advising the kitchen!

Room Tip: Away from the housekeepers if you want to sleep late!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Hotel Harry,

Thank you very much for your comments following your recent visit to The Talbot.

I am a little surprised regarding your remarks concerning our food offering, we do not normally have issues with the flavour of our beef dish as it is marinated for 24 hours. As for the smoked salmon, it is again something that we never have a problem with.

I was aware that a number of rooms were without bath robes and slippers and indeed, it has been very difficult to maintain our stock levels of laundry over the past month.
The reason being, is that the weather has been so bad around North Yorkshire, we have had real issues with our deliveries.

I know that there have been a couple of items that we have run short of, but it has been a rather extraordinary spell of weather!

As for the lights on our staircase, we have a full time local gentleman who checks all of these things everyday, Monday to Friday and due to the rather awkward nature of the chandeliers and being so high up, it really is not a job to be tackled without caution.
As you would have seen, there is a big drop within the stairwell. The three bulbs that were had gone out, were replaced on Monday morning.

Your concerns regarding James Martin and his input I feel are slightly unfair.

James is very passionate regarding his team here, The Hotel and Malton. He grew up here and loves the place.

I have had a chat with the housekeeping team and I thank you for all of your feedback that you gave us.

Jeremy du Plessis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed overnight at The Talbot Hotel, Houghton suite, very spacious and very clean. The staff are really friendly and helpful, only slight issue was the tea/coffee it is ordered and delivered to the room or conservatory, on one occasion it took us 2 or 3 calls waiting for an answer, this is obviously during check in time.

The Dinner night was fantastic and the food as described each course by James Martin was wonderful. Overall a great birthday treat.

Dear Mike T,

Thank you for your kind feedback, I am pleased that you enjoyed you stay with us and the service from the team.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed on a Friday night in the Houghton Suite. The rooms were beautiful, spacious bedroom with extra large comfy bed, immaculately clean bathroom and a comfortable large sitting/dining room. We ate in the restaurant and couldn't fault the meal. The service in the bar and restaurant was excellent and the staff over all were very polite and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeremy d, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Brian N,

Thank you very much for your generous comments following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed everything regarding your experience at The Talbot and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We really went to this hotel for the food (James Martin restaurant) rather than to actually stay at the hotel.
My other half says I should not compare it to the more expensive places we stay at so I'm trying to bear that in mind when I write this!
The service was ok... One particularly friendly waitress but the difficulty was they were so busy and there was 1 poor barman trying to accommodate everyone so standard were hard to maintain
The food was ok but to be honest tasteless and disappointing (ox cheeks)
I think they're trying to be something they're not
The room was fine and the bathroom gorgeous
Would I stay again, yes if I was in the area but I wouldn't eat in house

• Stayed March 2013
Jeremy d, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Anniepankles,

Thank you for your comments following your recent visit.

I was sorry to read that you were a bit disappointed about the food we offered you and it did not impress you. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel, but assure you that we are simply trying to be a friendly place that tries to look after our guests and nothing else.

I do hope that you afford us the chance to show you just how good our food can be and come and visit us again in the future.

Luton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

l booked for Sunday Lunch for my mother and l at this hotel, expecting something special from an hotel owned by a 'celebrity' chef. It turned out it was Mothers Day. Service was very slow, the meal very average - what l would expect from a £10 meal cost £20+(according to the website and the menu!) When presented with the bill, the same meal was priced at £35 "because it was Mothers Day". The Manager made it seem like a favour to reduce this to the charges advertised on the menu. Two other tables near us also appeared to question their bills! As per the previous comment - certainly not 'fine dining' not even good pub food!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Scarlatti P,

It was a shame to read your remarks following your Mothers Day Lunch.

I am somewhat disappointed to read comments regarding the pricing of our Lunch as it had been advertised on our website and calender of events for some considerable time. It was slightly more than our normal pricing structure, but we included a glass of fizz on arrival and coffee and fudge, which is normally charged individually. I certainly remember apologising for any confusion over this and although adjusting the bill to our normal Sunday Lunch, I certainly
would not say that I gave the impression that I was doing anyone a favour?

Although not owned by James Martin, The Talbot's Kitchen is indeed overseen by himself and we have the pleasure of working with him on a regular basis.

Thank you for your feedback, which we have all taken on board.

Jeremy du Plessis.

Been to The Talbot Hotel Malton? Share your experiences!