“Can't Believe it's So Good” 5 of 5 stars

The Talbot Hotel Malton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yorkersgate, Malton YO17 7AA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Malton
Leeds
“Can't Believe it's So Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Our third visit to The Talbot and it just keeps on getting better and better. Arrived on a cold, wet, rainy day and were grfeeted warmly and shown to Room 11 - we'd booked an upgrade. Room heating hadn't kicked in so they brought an extra heater and turned up the radiators immediately. Browsed malton shops and then returned to a cup of tea by a roaring fire in the lounge with lots of quality newspapers. Showered in a lovely bathroom with fluffy towels and gowns before coming down to a wonderful James Martin-inspired dinner. After a great night's sleep enjoyed the Whitby kippers, morning papers and departed with a bottle of good wine ! What more could one ask ? Service at all times outstanding and Steve is a great barman - hope to have a pint of Mary Jane bitter there next time !

Room Tip: Select a higher level room with a view of the front of the hotel and the river. Srongly recommend an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Talbot-Malton, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Miloj

Many thanks for taking the time to post your kind words. You will be pleased to know I have actually spoken to the brewery and think we may do something with them soon.

686 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago for the second time, absolutely love this hotel the rooms are beautiful and spacious, we stayed in the Watson room, as are the bathrooms. Had champagne in the lounge before dinner which was again exceptional. The service is faultless and everyone is so friendly they cant do enough for you.

I cannot wait for my third stay, i will definiately be back

Dear Mags010

We very much look forward to welcoming you back for that third visit. As a hotelier there is no better compliment than a customer returning so I really do look forward to welcoming you back.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Wow.........48 hours ago I was sat in the Talbot Hotle with my friends having a girls Christmas lunch. Being a huge James Martin fan I was keen to visit and see just exactly what his food is all about. I was not disappointed. On arrival my friends had coffees, £2.00 per person for a cafetierre which was delicious. I had a cocktail, the signature special called the whistle jacket and it was very different but very nice.

We only had to wait aprox 20 mins for a table, they dont take bookings in the bar though there is a restaurant for a bit more formal dining. I had potted shrimps for starters, a burger chips and relish for mains and white chocolate, whicky and croissant bread and butter pud to finish. My friends had a mix of salmon, bangers and mash, pot roast chicken and butternut squash risotto. We also had some delicious rose wine. Afterwards more coffee followed and our bill for the 6 of inc drinks was £160. But the best bit by far was the fact we spent nearly the entire afternoon there lounging around on sofas chatting and catching up in very casual wear and no one batted an eye lid. This place has suites to hire for in excess of £600 per night!!!! The staff were so lovely, down to earth and helpful. No aires and graces about them. You can also take dogs in.My only criticism was that I really fancied some onion rings and asked if I could have them as a side order but this was not able to be done, even though my friends had them with their sausages. We are all planning to go back there in March, and if you look on their web site they do offers on rooms. A wonderful afternoon at the Talbot.

Room Tip: I didnt stay over
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear laura s

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your leisurely day with us. I am sorry about the onion rings this should not have been an issue and I have mentioned it to Chef.

I do hope to welcome you back to the Talbot soon.

Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Dined here last night to cellebrate our wedding anniversary. It is our second visit to this fabulous restuarant which is overseen by tv chef James Martin. Each course was excellent in quality. Portion sizes are not large, but we prefer quality to quantity. We both chose ham hock as our starter, and then I chose lamb shank as my main...all are accompanied with exceptional little flavour enhancers in the shape of coulis or sauces etc., The lamb just melted in my mouth - it was delicious. We then went on to have a selection of cheeses with home made biscuits, and coffee with sweets. There is an excellent wine menu. The service was faultless - attentive and friendly. A fabulous evening.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight as we live locally.
Dear YorkshireVeronica

I am very pleased you chose to dine with us to celebrate your anniversary, and even more pleased that you felt it was such a good experience.

I hope that you have another occasion coming up soon to celebrate as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Birkenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Talbot and after a slight hiccup whilst checking in, the General Manager, Robert, took personal care of the issue and solved it quickly and efficiently. We were treated like royalty and a special thanks to Robert and Dominic for going above and beyond to make sure we had a great suite.
The evening meal was fantastic as was breakfast in the morning.
I would fully recommend this hotel and would revisit again myself.

Dear Rob O

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of your stay with us. I am very sorry that there was a mix up with the booking but pleased we were able to rectify the issue and ensure that you enjoyed your time with us.

We hope to see you again soon.

North Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed at the Talbot for two nights in August, never stayed before it was renovated so didn't have anything to compare with. Found it was done in a very chic style. The reception & bar staff were very helpful. We ate in the restaurant on the first night and really enjoyed the food, the portions were just right. Looking forward to visiting again very soon. Well done Talbot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear globeexplorers

I am so pleased you found the style of the hotel to your liking. We have worked hard cretaing what is now the Talbot so it is always appreciated when people like it.

I hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 night weekend stay at the Talbot in December and cannot fault this hotel! We stayed in a feature room, four poster bed, freestanding bath, spacious shower etc overlooking the river. The room was spotless, very spacious and the bed huge! Robes & slippers and usual toiletries provided. Complimentary tea & coffee was brought to the room any time by ringing reception.
We ate in the restaurant on the first evening. Wow! The service was excellent, and the food cooked to perfection with excellent presentation. Extensive wine menu. My husband had pre ordered a small birthday cake to be made and presented after the main course. Nothing was too much trouble.

Breakfast was delicious with a good freshly cooked to order choice and also buffet selection.
The bar staff were very friendly and also continued the theme of excellent service.

The drawing room with cosy sofas and roaring fire just added to the whole experience of relaxation and luxury.

Malton is a small market town with independent shops and a few high street names and a nice selection of coffee shops & cafes. Train station close to hotel with York only a short train ride away.

We booked on a "Secret Escapes" deal and upgraded to the feature room for a small charge by ringing the hotel directly.

10 out of 10! We will return!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Debalar

Thank you so much for your very kind review. It is great when people are kind enough to take time out to give us good feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Robert

Been to The Talbot Hotel Malton? Share your experiences!