“Memorable Wedding Anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Malton
yorkshire
“Memorable Wedding Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here on Sunday 14th October to celebrate our 40th Wedding anniversary and were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived, through afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast we experienced friendly staff, good service and wonderful food. We were upgraded to a Norton room which was very large and had a lovely bathroom – everything you needed was provided. When we ordered tea it was there in an instant and it was so nice to have a lovely large tea pot which actually poured without dripping. At dinner I would recommend paying extra for the cheese course which can be shared – 4 delicious cheeses, each with their own accompaniment – nice change from the usual celery and grapes.
I can’t wait to return again soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Dunblane, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just back from a 4 night short break at The Talbot. Could not find a single negative comment about our stay. From the moment we drove up the large driveway, staff were there to attend to our every need. We stayed in the Rockingham Feature Suite which had a four poster bed and views of the garden (garden currently under development so really only grass and some trees to look at but nice and quiet). The room was breath taking. Plenty of space, nice little touches like delicious home-made cookies waiting, luxurious toiletries, white bath robes and slippers, fresh flowers - nothing was spared. Beautiful bathroom with roll top cast iron bath and seperate infinity shower which was amazing after a hard day out walking the Yorkshire Moors. First night we went to the restaurant for dinner. Again this was faultless. The food delicious and the staff/ service was exceptional. Each morning we had breakfast and again the staff/service were second to none and the breakfast choice was fab. Hubbie said the best cooked breakfast he has had. I much preferred their spiced apricots and early grey tea prunes with home made pastries and Yorkshire preserves. Great bar area for night-time with a large selection of drinks available for those of you that drink with an added touch of rosemary / herb infused olives and gorgeous smoked almonds snacks. All staff were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable regarding any questions/queries about hotel/food etc but in particular wanted to say Kelly (evening waitress) Steve (evening barman) and Alison (breakfast waitress) made our stay extra special - they were all brilliant. Did not want to leave and hope to be able to go back real soon.

wimborne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for three nights upon recommendation. The hotel is beautifully appointed, exceptionally well decorated and the rooms are a delight. We had room 24, a suite, and it was beautiful with lovely views. We apprectiated all the little touches such as lights coming on when you approached your door, the extractor fan turning on and off automatically when you went into the bathroom, the fresh orchids in the room etc.
We were impressed by all the reception rooms, they were perfectly decorated and in keeping with the age of the hotel. The art work was very interesting and it was lovely to read the book in the room which detailed the history of the hotel and the pictures.
The service was a bit hit and miss, initially I would have said five star, but on the second morning standards at breakfast seemed to have slipped quite a bit, was it because the Manager was not around?
The reception staff were excellent, and the staff who delivered tea and coffee at regular intervals were very courteous. However I did have to point out that the hotel had undercharged me £147.50!!! How many other customers would be as honest?
My sole reservation about the hotel, and it is an opinion we have expressed to the hotel, is that the very limited menu, which does not vary, apart from the odd special, until James decides to do a new menu, does the hotel no favours.
We stayed for three nights, there are 5 starters, 6 mains and 4 sweets plus cheese, which sounds fine, but only one starter and one main is suitable for vegetarians!!
I don't like salmon or fois gras (on a point of principle) so although my choice was more varied than a vegetarian, my choice was limited to 3 starters and 5 mains over three nights. I ended up having the scallop starter twice, but much as I enjoy them I do not want to eat them everynight.
I would imagine that most people, like me, want to sample the variety of James's food, and I do not think that being so restrictive enhances this hotel's standing in the food world. We go to hotels for the food experience as much as for the quality of the accommodation, and are more than happy to pay for the privelege but I found this restricted menu annoying, despite the quality of the food itself being excellent.
James has written numerous books, and employes a superb chef, so if I can produce a different menu each night, then I would have thought he could too. I don't expect every dish to change every evening but I do expect some changes each night to add to the thrill of perusing the menu and drooling over the possibilities. It's all part of the pleasure of eating out.
I do hope that James will take these comments on board, otherwise folk would be well advised to limit their stay to one or two nights at most, I certainly would not want to look at the same menu for a week especially if I was a veggie and had to eat Butternut squash risotto every evening!
It's interesting when looking at previous trip advisor reviews that most people seem to simply dine at the hotel or stay one night, maybe we were the exception wanting to stay for longer, but if I was an hotelier I would certainly be looking to encourage more guests to stay longer and eat in the hotel, from a cost point of view there are significant savings to an hotel to have people stay for longer periods, and considerable profits to be made if residents are encouraged to eat in house, would you like me to act as consultant???
Despite these reservations, I loved my stay at the Talbot, and if this problem with the menu is addressed I would certainly consider staying whenever I am in Yorkshire, as a Yorkshire lass I love going back "home", usually to visit family or for trips down memory lane.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at The Talbot hotel for a weekend in late September for a friend's wedding in the area and chose it because it looked like a quality hotel in the right location. We only booked a Ryedale Room which is the most reasonable on offer but were pleasantly surprised as our room was large and well appointed with a modern shower room and Penhaligon twiddlies. The bed was very comfortable and we could open a window in the room as fresh air is very important to me anywhere we stay! Tea for two was delivered on arrival very promptly after a call to order it. The whole hotel had a calm and relaxing atmosphere.

Two tiny things which would have made our stay perfect would have been a smaller lighted mirror in the bathroom to apply make-up and as well as the amazing monsoon shower a hand held shower. However, these are very minor things and not massively important, just thought I would mention them.

Breakfast was delicious and served in the restaurant and an additional room with delightful views adjacent to the restaurant. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening. We did sit in the well-appointed downstairs rooms to read the papers and had some sandwiches in the bar at lunchtime on the day of the wedding we attended. All the staff we met were very pleasant and happy to chat which was nice.

We ate out on the Friday night at 'The New Malton' restaurant/pub which provided a great atmosphere and very reasonably priced food.

Malton is a lovely market town and well worth a stroll around - a couple of great interior shops.

Room Tip: Although we booked the standard Ryedale Room we had Room 5 which was large and had a big bay window...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mary59mary59
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Recently booked a table in what was supposed to be a five star eating experience. Initially greeted by an over friendly waitress. The chairs were dirty, with crumbs seeping through the edge. We were offered no specials, only knew they were available after we had ordered and over heard anohter waiter offering them. When the food arrived it was cold, sent it back which meant we didnt all eat together, when it was returned the plate was even hotter but the food only slightly warmer.
Waiting staff clearly dont expect complaints, her reaction was of horror and how dare we complain. Only good thing was getting a refund for one course, but then had to be told the reason the potato is cold is because they pipe it onto the plate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Talbot-Malton, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Mary59mary59

I was very sorry to hear of your poor experience of the Talbot. I would ask that should you wish to I would be very keen to discuss this with you.

I would also like to say that we have never advertised or considered trying to be a 5 Star property as you say in your review and I am sorry if that is what you were expecting but it is certainly not what the Talbot is trying to achieve.

If you would like to discuss this further if you would like to e-mail me the best contact number to get hold of you and I will call you.

Kind regards

Robert

rwormall@talbotmalton.co.uk
somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The hotel was very inviting, it is large with many room downstairs to relax in. Our bedroom was large and had a lovely soft bed. The bathroom was luxurious with all new, clean fitments.
The staff were extremely helpful and the bar man was good to chat to. The food was nice but I wouldnt say stunning. It was pouring with rain for the 2 days we were there, Whitby is worth a visit. shame we didnt get to see James.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Initially lured by the promise of James Martin's food influence, we actually enjoyed every aspect of this hotel. The staff were brilliant in every area, a cheery smile, a warm greeting and efficient service. Our room (a Feature Room) well worth the extra, was excellent, lovely bathroom, stunning views and super-king bed.

As we would have hoped the food was really great. A small but very varied menu and, that hard to find marriage, innovation without pretention.

Teeny niggle - there was a wine/ gourmet event evening on on the Saturday so we were put in a small room off the restaurant which was pleasant enough but a bit of a feeling of "second class citizen" particularly disappointing as we had booked many months ago for my birthday just for the restaurant experience. Great to have events but important not to let the"rest of us" feel left out.

Overall however, highly recommended and we will return.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Talbot Hotel Malton? Share your experiences!