Apologies for the late posting of this review.
A belated birthday treat courtesy of the wife turned out to be one of the best nights we have had for a long time.
We arrived around 3pm on a Thursday afternoon and as soon as we arrived we knew that news of the refurb was not merely publicity hype. Very efficient check in, a swift tour of the hotel and up to our first floor room. The room itself was a delight, at the rear of the property and overlooking the river, it was more of a suite then a room. Large sitting area, massive bed with exceptional linen (Isabella), good quality curtains and soft furnishings plus fresh flowers certainly made this a room you would want to spend a lot of time in. We also had a tremendous bathroom with roll top bath and a large separate shower the taps,towels, robes, toiletries and fittings were all very good quality. I believe there was a small supplement for the room but i was well worth it so please dont hesitate to book one if avalable.
The main reason for the visit was to sample the food so after a drink in the bar we were shown inrto the restaurant. Not a big dining room but thats not a bad thing, plenty of equine paintings on the walls remind you that Malton was and still is a major part of the sport of Kings.
Without going into detail the meal was fantastic, plenty of emphasis on local produce, scallops on black pudding for starters, tremendous pink lamb cooked on hay, panacotta for pudding. My wifes food was fantastic too but I was not allowed to taste any so cannot say a great deal. After a nightcap and a chat with fellow diners we had a great nights sleep not hearing any noise from other guests or staff whatsoever.
Breakfast the next morning was faultless, really good juice, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, plenty of toast and good coffee.
Very pleasantly surprised by the value for money, the champagne by the glass and drinks in the bar are very reasonably priced. The staff were passionate and despite the newness of the team they coped very well indeed.
Less than one hour from home, this will become a firm favourite for us and no doubt many others, Mr Martin and Co Take a bow !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Talbot Hotel has recently been fully restored. Classic British design now meets traditional values of comfort and unobtrusive service for an elegant hotel with 26 bedrooms, landscaped gardens and a great restaurant. We are in the heart of the North Yorkshire market town of Malton, 20 minutes from the city of York. Visitors here are spoilt for choice. In fully restoring the Talbot Hotel, we have created 26 individual bedrooms – each one capturing the elegant spirit of a property that is more than 300 years old, whilst meeting your expectations for complete comfort and convenience. You'll find sumptuous beds, the finest linen, modern bathrooms and luxury toiletries, set to Vivien Greenock's imaginative interior designs. With Malton-born chef James Martin now in charge of the kitchen, the Talbot Hotel tops the list of must-visit places for local and visiting gastronomes. James, who is well-known for his cookery shows on BBC and Channel 4, makes the most of the area's renowned butchers, fishmongers, game dealers, farmers and cheesemakers to produce menus of classic but simple food of the highest quality. "North Yorkshire is in my blood," he says. "And I've been thrilled to see my home town of Malton build a reputation as a foodie destination based on the abundance of growers and producers in the area." "Guests can look forward to finding all my favourite Yorkshire produce on the menu from Wakefield rhubarb to Whitby crab." The menu at the Talbot changes regularly to take advantage of the seasons. Dishes are produced with flair by a team of highly trained chefs and served in a professional yet understated manner. 50-cover restaurant Drawing room with open fires Bar and informal dining Wentworth room for private functions for up to 65 people Morning coffee and light bites in the bar and lounge Afternoon cream teas, cakes, sandwiches and drinks in the Drawing Room Traditional Sunday roast in the restaurant Hand-pulled cask bitter and wide selection of wines by the glass in the bar Wines from around the world including select vintages from the renowned 'Chateau Talbot.' ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, LateRooms and Odigeo so you can book your The Talbot Hotel Malton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Talbot Malton Nr York
- The Talbot Malton Nr York
- The Talbot Hotel Malton Yorkshire