“Sassy saffy!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nobanno Lakeside Indian Restaurant

Nobanno Lakeside Indian Restaurant
Astbury Mere | Newcastle Road, Congleton CW12 4HL, England (Formerly Nobanno)
01260 299771
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Congleton, United Kingdom
“Sassy saffy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

WOW what a gorgeous meal we had here, we first visited in August 2013 for my birthday, I had somehow signed up to the anniversary special, which meant if we went around my birthday, we received a free bottle of bubbly and a small bday cake for free, which we did, they also played 'happy birthday' to me and the entire restaurant sang to me!
We went again last night, we ate saffroni chicken which was a large portion, it was Devine, keema pilau rice , not too spicy and cooked to a tee! My partner had chicken rogan josh which was also beautiful! We shared a naan bread as they are quite large. The location overlooking the lake is stunning in summer when it's light nights! The service is impeccable and all the staff are incredibly sociable and friendly! Well done NOBANO, don't change a thing x

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cheshire
“Sorry to say it, but bland....................”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Last time I reviewed Nobanno I said that it placed style over substance. Unfortunately, in my personal opinion (as i do know that some of my friends like this place) the quality of the food has suffered. In a word, bland food. I ordered the 'special' mixed starter. It tasted no better than you could buy off the shelf at Tesco, and the addition of non-authentic salad items like a pickled onion from a jar didn't rescue things. On to the main course, a good old Chicken Dupiaza. Well, it looked like a Felix Sensation, thankfully it didn't taste like it, but it was bulked out with onion, the chicken chunks were far too big, and worst of it it was tasteless. Well almost, but the chef must have forgotten the spices.
My son said his was the worst curry he had ever had, and the lady opposit me left hers.
Service is ok and friendly but do the staff really have to lean over you to collect plates on the other side of the table? So, two visits and neither were much good. So, this non-curry snob will be going back to Shaad, for my money it is streets ahead. Oh, and I think Nobanno is overpriced as well. Sorry.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We have just found the perfect indian restaurant. The setting is idilic although when you first arrive the building looks like a large scout hut, but go inside & it's transformed. The most important thing at a restaurant is the quality of the food & we both agreed Nobanno is without doubt the best, freshest & tastiest indian food we've every tasted. Next important thing is the staff, who were superb & didn't rush anything. To be honest Nobanno is slow paced but when you realise everything is cooked fresh from the start its more than worth waiting a little bit longer plus we don't like being rushed, so it's superb. Price is a consideration & for what you get it's more than worth it.
So to sum up Nobanno it's a complete Gem, well worth the visit & I can guarantee you will return. We will be visiting regularly now.

Visited August 2013
Congleton, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

First time I've been and was very impressed with the champagne and cake we got as we were there for a birthday celebration. All except one of us had the thali. All three currys were lovely and it was great to try something I wouldn't normally order. My only negative was the atmosphere, it was a little quiet and maybe looking a bit dated inside. The views however are lovely over the mere. I would return.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely deserve their tiffin award”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I are curry snobs! We have also moved house 5 times in the last decade and tried pretty much all of the local curry houses each time. We cook indian cuisine at home most weeks. The food at Nobanno is by far the freshest, most authentic and non-generic as possible. Our friends from India agree too.

Although it has it's own car park, you're better to park at Astbury mere's car park and walk the 1/2 mile stroll around the water's edge to Nobanno's to add to the experience. The view from inside the restaurant is incredible, better still, sit out on the terrace and enjoy the sunsets over the water.

We have been many times and you can always guarantee a relaxed evening. Service is usually attentive but leisurely paced. As the owner says "if you want fast food, go to [big name flashy brands in Congleton town centre]". It is common to sit back and spend two or three hours over your meal and you won't feel rushed. Sipping a beer and reading the menu in the afternoon sun is great, but when you're still there perusing the dessert menu in candle light after you really get a sense of occasion.

Their chefs cook every meal from scratch and it's worth the wait. Portion size is generous but not ridiculous and the food is so fresh and tasty and when ordering in a party, every plate looks different. No generic pastes or bases here.

Dietary requirements are most welcome and the chef can adapt most things to suit.
The big surprise every time is the bill... we often have several drinks, starters and mains and sit for a few hours, never have we paid more than £15 each.

This place is a hidden gem but do book in advance. 50% of the time we have to wait with a drink on the terrace to be seated anywhere because it is so busy. The other 50% of the time you can be the only group in there.

The place to compare all others to.

• Visited August 2013