“A disabled room on the 1 st floor and no lift!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Bulls Head

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Congleton
The Bulls Head
You added The Bulls Head to your Saves list
Mill Street, Congleton CW12 1AB, England   |
Ranked #12 of 12 Congleton B&B and Inns
Aylsham, United Kingdom
“A disabled room on the 1 st floor and no lift!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had intended staying here when we were visiting family and looked to book through Late Rooms, by chance I decided to contact the hotel directly and ask about the disabled room facilities as my husband had a stroke just 10 weeks ago and uses a wheelchair to get around. I was told they had had room with disabled facilities but it was on the 1 st floor so you need to be able to climb a flight of stairs as they had no lift, as my husband has very limited mobility this is out of the question, we have a stair lift at home. Needless to say we did nt book but if we had done through late rooms there' was nothing to tell us about where the room was situated. The lady I spoke was very pleasant but as I said to her a disabled facility room on the 1 st floor with no lift really isn't what it says it is and is extremely misleading

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I think my partner and I stayed in the same room as Trishanneb the review below this one. And it seems as though the owners do not read Trip Advisor as we found exactly the same things when we arrived. The mirror on the wardrobe door was broken at the bottom, the ceiling tiles in the bathroom were damp and discoloured. And because we had to have the windows open we could hear people outside the pub (but we had expected this so it wasn't really a problem). I personally found the bed quite uncomfortable but my partner liked it. The service was good, and the staff friendly. The breakfast seemed a little undercooked for my liking but we didn't look at the menu first so we didn't try any alternatives.

It's good value for a place so close to Alton Towers and the drive back was beautiful. Leek city centre is only twenty minutes away and has everything you need.

In Congleton, the best place to eat in my opinion would be the Maskery next door but one. The staff were fantastic and even put the cooker back on after they had stopped serving food.

Room Tip: Try not to get 104 as this is the one we stayed in.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Marlborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I changed one of the nights we needed to stay up north to visit my Father in Law and as the Travel lodge we had booked didn't have the other night free, we needed a room to stay for 2 nights at short notice. So found the Bull's Head on Late rooms for the same price as the Travel lodge.

Considering we were paying the same as the Travel Lodge I was disappointed to find a rather strange smelling pub, its decor stuck in the 70s/80s and in dire need of TLC! Our room had a broken mirror on the wardrobe door, the suspended ceiling tiles were stained and one of the side lamps didn't work. Some of the channels on the TV had no sound or couldn't be found and the noise outside from people's loud voices was a pain especially as it was hot and we had to have the windows open.

Still, in its favour, the bedding was clean, towels nicely presented, the room was cleaned and bed made super quick the next morning whilst we were having breakfast. The staff were very friendly and breakfast was huge for the price of £5 each!

I wouldn't stay again because of the tired and rather damp smelling building, for the same price the Travel lodge would have at least been modern. However I wouldn't say never if it was necessary to find something at very short notice and this is due to the friendliness of the staff, but it would have to be an absolutely necessary stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Talbot, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

had a good stay here welcome was great break fast tremendous i would recommend
this hotel to any one the parking was easy right on site the personnel from the bar staff to the owner were very helpful and pleasant cant falt them at all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I came here to watch a my boyfriends band, with a couple of close friends. The landlord was the most awful, uneducated, totally obnoxious, small minded, anti gay, vampiric person one would ever have the displeasure of meeting. The wine was awful, the venue was filthy. An experience never to be repeated!!! Dreadful

• Stayed May 2013
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Was recommended to us by a friend whose wedding we were attending. Booking in was shambolic, over the bar, no privacy. The "landlord" tried to make us feel welcome and was helpful in booking a taxi to the event. We were told about the music going on into the early hours, which was fine, and as residents we could drink pretty much as long as we liked if we wanted to. On entering our room, the lights didn't work so the man who booked us in came into the room and showed us where the main lights were, which took forever to throw some light out as they were all energy saving bulbs. There was a bedside lamp with a broken shade, which the cleaner clearly knew about as it had been gingerly placed on the top of the frame. There was also a lamp by the mirror which didn't work. The window had been left open so the room was freezing. We managed to get it shut only to find the radiator in the room didn't work. Neither did the radiator in the bathroom. I went straight to the bar to ask the man who booked us in to come back up and have another look. He couldn't get it working either. We had to resort to opening the door to the corridor to try to get some heat in there while we were getting ready. We returned after the wedding about midnight and at some time after 2 my daughter went to the bar for a drink. She was refused and told to "f**k off". I went to the bar and asked to speak to the manager, and low and behold, the same aggressive man returned. We explained to the real landlord and his wife what we had been told when we booked in and there seemed to be confusion over who this other "landlord" was. As neither had been around they wouldn't have known we were residents but really, is this our problem? We again told them about the room being freezing and to their credit a heater was put in our room by the time we got back there. All in all this is probably one of the worst places I've ever stayed at. The corridors and rooms were dingy and rundown, the abuse by the landlord unforgiveable. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Whitstable, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed one night, Dirty, stank of smoke, ceiling tiles filthy and falling down, broken glass on wardrobe no sound on tv, side lights didn't work. Sub standard room. Music literally shaking you in your bed, absolutely terrible accomodation.

Room Tip: go to travel lodge or premier inn. You won't get taxi or trains on a sunday either
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Bulls Head? Share your experiences!