“The pub by the canal” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“The pub by the canal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We just popped into the Inn on our way back from a day at Southport and managed to get a seat in the bar, we had an absolutely lovely meal served by pleasant staff, the iamb chops were to die for, the drinks very refreshing, we would definitely return but would book in advance so a not to be disappointed

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Birmingham
“Pleasant Local Country Pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The first thing that I noticed was a good selection of draught beers, I only tried 2 but both excellent ( would recommend the Cock-a-Hoop). We called in for lunch whilst sightseeing in the area and picked the location off TripAdvisor. Service was slow, but we were very kindly warned before ordering, this was not an issue for us. The young staff were very pleasant and a credit to the pub. The food was well presented, fresh, hot and tasty although the chips had a "different" texture to usual (a bit between chips and boiled potatoes ! ). We required one gluten free meal, this was not an issue. Deserts reasonably priced and again well presented and delicious.
All in all, a cosy local country pub with good beer, pleasant staff and food at reasonable prices which will not disappoint most customers. Would definitely return and recommend.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“25% discount off food on a Monday!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Ive been wanting to visit the rising sun for the good part of a year. Seeing as I was in the area and Congleton isn't my neck of the woods I jumped at the chance.

And I wasn't disappointed. What a fantastic little pub this is. Lovely looking building with a nice outdoor seating area. Inside is a classic English pub which has been very well kept. First impressions I was really pleased with. We were shown to our table and handed a menu by the very attentive waiter who couldn't of been more helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for him. Lovely guy.

The menu is superb. Absolutely fantastic choices, I could of picked at least 90% of the dishes and been more than pleased with any of them. I decided on the pork 3 ways, which consisted of pork cheek, belly and fillet with a herb crusted centre. Which come accompanied with perfectly cooked chips. A pepper and brandy sauce. Apple and cider puree and veg, and my partner had the chicken Kiev with potatoes and veg.

The pork 3 ways was presented absolutely beautifully. By far the best presentation of any meal I've ever had. The pork cheeks were to die for. Unbelievably tender and so tasty. Every mouthful was so pleasing. The best pork I have ever ate hands down. The belly was a touch fatty for my liking. But pork belly is a fatty cut of meat. It was nice tasting but the texture wasn't for me personally. The fillet was a drier cut of pork which was very nice. 3 different textures of pork to eat at the same time really made a nice meal and not one I've had before. The pepper and brandy sauce was one of my top 3 sauces I've ever tasted. Burst of heat from the peppercorns was one of the main things I enjoyed about it. So flavoursome and rich tasting.

My partners Kiev she described as perfection. The breadcrumbs, the chicken and garlic sauce centre were cooked superbly. The veg and potatoes were very good also. The portions sizes did seem a bit small. But for the quality of food and the prices we couldn't possibly complain. And with 25 percent off the food total on a Monday our only regret is not having a starter. We will without a doubt be returning here very soon, maybe even the end of the week to try the Sunday menu which was a surprisingly reasonable £6.95 if I remember correctly. If you want exceptional home cooked food for an excellent price I suggest you visit the rising sun.

“A wonderful Country English pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

First visited in July 14 with family. A fantastic country pub with good choice for children, and fresh too..not your typical fried up rubbish that you find in a chain pub. Wonderfully fresh and well presented food, at reasonable prices. Don't come here if you're in a rush, the atmosphere is laid back and relaxed. Service was faultless. We will be returning!

Visited July 2014
“Great food, service and beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I discovered it originally when walking the canal last year. Since then we have been several times. We have tried many of the meals, all have been great. I gave in to my sweet tooth and had a pudding. A triple choc sundae I think..I just loved the solid milk choc cap..it reminded me of cracking open an easter egg .
The young girl who waited on our table was lovely. Thankyou we will visit again soon.