“Poor Hotel! Terrible Service!” 1 of 5 stars

The County Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152 High Street, Dalkeith EH22 1AY, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Dalkeith
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Poor Hotel! Terrible Service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

My stay at this hotel was very unpleasant. Wireless internet was so slow that could not get my work done. When I complained I was told by the front desk person that there is internet and there is nothing they could do about the speed. Further told me that I need to wait until the next day when manager came in. Perhaps they could have called the manager at home! TV only worked sporadically and would constantly cut out. Shower was pathetic and if a hot shower was desired, water reduced to a trickle. Bed was extremely uncomfortable and breakfast was poor. To top things off, housekeeping went into my occupied room when I was downstairs at breakfast and stripped my bed in preparation for the next guest. I was checking out that same day and it was clear my room was still occupied. Front desk was non apologetic about everything and offered no compensation. What a dump!!!!

Room Tip: I would never stay in this hotel again unless I was desperate
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
greenock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Stated here 2 nights (so far) will be hoping to book in for the remainder of my stay in the area. Very nice clean hotel. Not perfect but great for contractors etc. the room was spacious and fitted out with everything you need and more. Very good breakfast and staff and a nice wee bar. Perfectly located in the town centre but not on he main road.

• Stayed November 2013
Horsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

stayed here with my wife and two friends on 12th aug the rooms where clean the staff where friendly and the food good it is a great location for anyone visiting Edinburgh the only complaint we have is the bar closed to early

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TEESSIDE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night with National holidays. Rooms were a decent size but very old fashioned. Platform valance sheet had a filthy mark on it and duvets were heavy. Windows outside heeded w fgood clean too. Bathroom was clean however the shower curtain was crumpled and could have done with a good iron to make it more presentable. No rubber mat in the shower which I thought was dangeroùs. No toilet brush and a holder with slips of paper rather than a roll made it feel like a public convenience. Restaurant was dated the staff were pleasant but service was slow when dinner was served the staff seemed to just go to any table eith the food leaving some tables half served, by the time the other half were served on the table their partners/friends had finished. Breakfast was nice but would have preferred to choose what I wanted on it, rather than the full breakfast brought to me. Fresh fruit would have been nice too. Tea in teapots rather than pre made a flask was not good, like my title says 1 night is fine as a stop over but no longer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel is great for a trip into Edinburgh. Situated around 10 miles out of the centre, if offers an affordable stay with excellent transport links.

The room was spacious but the bedding was stained albeit probably clean. The bathroom was also not particularly clean with hair remaining from (presumably) the previous occupant.

I can live with all that. However, after a 5 hour drive, my main priority was sleep. Unfortunately, there is a bar attached to the hotel building. Not a nice bar either. The sort of place where you would expect to find the town's unwashed gathering. And gather they did.

From around 10pm to 3am (yes, 3am!) I was kept awake by drunks who seemed quite happy shouting, bawling and basically being disruptive. Only after 3am did I manage to fall asleep. It was so bad that I decided to drive back to Yorkshire following a day of work in Edinburgh. Another night I could not handle.

Quite how the hotel can allow this to happen is beyond me. They have alot of things right...polite staff, good location, competitive pricing etc...but if you can't get to sleep...what's the point?

You've been warned!

Room Tip: Stay aware from the front!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed at the County Hotel for 2 nights this week. I found that the staff were very welcoming and friendly. The hotel has a nice bar area and soft seating away from the main bar is comfortable.
My room was on the 3rd floor, it was clean & tidy and nicely decorated and spacious. The bed was very comfortable and nice white towels in the en-suite. At breakfast I was given the choice of a cooked breakfast, there is no breakfast menu, the cooked breakfast does come plated. However, I asked the friendly waitress what the breakfast consisted of and she told me, I then choose what I would like for breakfast.
I had an evening meal on the second night and I found that the meal was very nice and reasonable, again helpful waitress.
The hotel does not have a car park, but this is not a problem as there is plenty of parking in the road, which is ‘off road’ parking as well.
Overall, I cannot fault the service provided by the staff and the hotel and I would certainly return to the hotel again. The hotel is also very good for visiting Edinburgh if you do not want to stay in the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Richmond, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

A basic hotel, but very clean and provided everything you would expect for a high street hotel in a small town. A big room with single beds in the room we stayed in, but perfectly acceptable for friends staying together for one night.

We stayed in the hotel the weekend of the Edinburgh marathon and nothing was too much trouble for the staff - they provided us with details/times/prices of buses into the city, an early cooked-to-order breakfast before the race and allowed a (very) late check out for showers etc before we set off on a long drive home. We will stay again next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The County Hotel? Share your experiences!