“Not great if you value sleep.” 2 of 5 stars

The County Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152 High Street, Dalkeith EH22 1AY, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Dalkeith
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Not great if you value sleep.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel is great for a trip into Edinburgh. Situated around 10 miles out of the centre, if offers an affordable stay with excellent transport links.

The room was spacious but the bedding was stained albeit probably clean. The bathroom was also not particularly clean with hair remaining from (presumably) the previous occupant.

I can live with all that. However, after a 5 hour drive, my main priority was sleep. Unfortunately, there is a bar attached to the hotel building. Not a nice bar either. The sort of place where you would expect to find the town's unwashed gathering. And gather they did.

From around 10pm to 3am (yes, 3am!) I was kept awake by drunks who seemed quite happy shouting, bawling and basically being disruptive. Only after 3am did I manage to fall asleep. It was so bad that I decided to drive back to Yorkshire following a day of work in Edinburgh. Another night I could not handle.

Quite how the hotel can allow this to happen is beyond me. They have alot of things right...polite staff, good location, competitive pricing etc...but if you can't get to sleep...what's the point?

You've been warned!

Room Tip: Stay aware from the front!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed at the County Hotel for 2 nights this week. I found that the staff were very welcoming and friendly. The hotel has a nice bar area and soft seating away from the main bar is comfortable.
My room was on the 3rd floor, it was clean & tidy and nicely decorated and spacious. The bed was very comfortable and nice white towels in the en-suite. At breakfast I was given the choice of a cooked breakfast, there is no breakfast menu, the cooked breakfast does come plated. However, I asked the friendly waitress what the breakfast consisted of and she told me, I then choose what I would like for breakfast.
I had an evening meal on the second night and I found that the meal was very nice and reasonable, again helpful waitress.
The hotel does not have a car park, but this is not a problem as there is plenty of parking in the road, which is ‘off road’ parking as well.
Overall, I cannot fault the service provided by the staff and the hotel and I would certainly return to the hotel again. The hotel is also very good for visiting Edinburgh if you do not want to stay in the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Richmond, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

A basic hotel, but very clean and provided everything you would expect for a high street hotel in a small town. A big room with single beds in the room we stayed in, but perfectly acceptable for friends staying together for one night.

We stayed in the hotel the weekend of the Edinburgh marathon and nothing was too much trouble for the staff - they provided us with details/times/prices of buses into the city, an early cooked-to-order breakfast before the race and allowed a (very) late check out for showers etc before we set off on a long drive home. We will stay again next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Phnom Penh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Had dinner at this hotel in October last year - just once thankfully. One of those unpleasant experiences you don't easily forget. Elderly waitress was surly and seemed to take a dislike to me and my obviously mentally challenged sister before I had even opened my mouth.

Food was decent but slow in coming. When taking the order she asked if I would like a salad. I asked what salads they had and she replied "It's up to you" I asked if they a had a Caesar Salad. Her reply was (accompanied with a glare that said "God, why do I have to deal with idiots") by salad she meant lettuce and tomato. To me that's a garnish not a salad. My idea of salads in a restaurant would be something like Cole Slaw, Potato & Egg, Waldorf Salad and of course Caesar Salad etc. I wasn't being fussy and would have accepted any type of traditional salad (if they had it).

After our main meal I ordered dessert - which again seemed to take ages. After a while the waitress came to inform me that chef himself was going to bring the dessert to my table. For some strange reason she then made it really clear that it was such a great honor and privilege for me that he himself would actually grace our presence.

When the dessert arrived - the chef who was actually very pleasant and nice - put it on the table and said "Enjoy your dessert" before leaving for the kitchen. Unfortunately, I was not quick enough to bow down and kiss his feet (as per the subliminal message our waitress gave).

I do accept that people can have off-days so to speak and try to be understanding, especially after running a number of restaurants the last 12 years. I never raised my voice, was not disrespectful and kept a pleasant disposition throughout the whole meal (ordeal). I wasn't dressed like a slob and wore a suit a tie.

During dessert two other guests arrived (my sister and I at that point were the only guests). The waitress demure suddenly changed and was embarrassingly fawning all over them.

When I left I did leave a decent tip (in hindsight a bad idea). No good-bye/ thank you/ hope to see you again.

Well, good-bye, no thanks and you will never see me again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The pictures on the website do not match the actual room at all! We paid £72 and the room & toilet were extremely tiny with an awkward position - that meant hardly any room for bags or to move to the toilet. We did not sleep well at all as the bed was tiny for 2 people and one person could not turn without disturbing the other. It felt like an utter rip off. The staff were nice but it did not and will not compensate for the room. Definitely one of the worst places I have stayed in. I would not recommend this place at all to anyone!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I went for a meal at the County Hotel restaurant in January. There were 3 people in the restaurant including us. The service was fair but the food was not very appetising at all. To be honest after our meal we could have quite happily gone to the “chippy” on the way home! Food was at best average and portion size left a lot to be desired. To be honest, don’t think I would bother again which is sad as this used to be a lovely please to eat. It was alos poor value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wetherby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The County Hotel is located right inthe centre of Dalkeith. The room was very clean, with nice soft white towels in the bathroom. very quiet in my room [306] at the back. The restaurant was empty of customers, so I went a short walk in to town for dinner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to The County Hotel? Share your experiences!