“Good deal” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dalkeith
taunton
“Good deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed with a Groupon deal of evening meal and bed and breakfast for two. On the whole it was good value for the money we paid. Room was clean and comfortable. Food was very nice and the staff we encountered were friendly and polite.
Couple of problems - no hotel information in the room but we were supplied with a welcome pack on request. We had a glass of white and a glass of red wine with our meal but on check out we had been charged for two bottles instead of two glasses - check your bill!!'

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed here over Easter with my boyfriend as we were given a Groupon for an ‘overnight stay with a 3 course dinner and breakfast’ as a Christmas present. It was a lovely surprise and we were both very excited as we have never stayed in a castle and it seemed like a wonderful idea and something we would have never have thought of ourselves.

I would just like to say that my expectations weren’t that high prior to our visit as I experienced difficulty (and a fair amount of stress) when booking our stay in the first instance. I won’t go into this too much but subsequent to say that the only available time we could stay before the voucher expired was Easter Sunday- meaning we had to sacrifice a family meal and rush back for my boyfriend to start work on Easter Monday.
I wish I didn't have to rate this as 'Poor' as I really wanted to rate it higher- but In all honesty I can't say it can be scored as ‘Average’ based on our disappointing experience. Sadly, there were just too many let downs.
On our approach the castle looked stunning from the outside and as we drove up the woodland path into the grounds I felt excited. It said on the website that we could check in at 2pm but we arrived at 4pm as traffic was busy. Having been on a long drive in the warm weather we were eager to get to our room to relax. As we went into the main door we were slightly confused about where the reception was, but eventually found the receptionist- strangely behind a tiny desk under the stairs. He was welcoming and hospitable however he didn’t seem to know what paperwork was needed and didn’t acknowledge my print out which the email had told me to print and which contained my booking reference. After an awkward 5 minutes shuffling through papers he managed to confirm our reservation. We were told that we would be in a superior double room on the top floor- but that as they had hosted a wedding this weekend ( I would think they probably do most weekends?) our room wasn’t ready yet and housekeeping still had to make up the room. This is 2 hours after we should have been allowed to check in, so we were relieved that we hadn’t arrived any earlier! We were told to take our bags up to the room anyway so they would be out the way while we waited. We both felt we could have at least been offered a tea or coffee - but nevermind, it was a nice sunny afternoon so we decided to go and walk around the grounds. We were not shown to our room- and we had to try and find it ourselves. It wasn’t a good first impression to go into a dirty room with our bags- with an unmade bed, someone else crisp packets, used tissues and dirty bath water there to greet us.. it kind if took away from our first impression of the 'superior' room. What I will say is that on the plus side- once cleaned the room was fairly nice, with a four poster bed and a view of the grounds including the little stream and on the top floor which was good. The room was charismatic and comfortable but there was a large Jacuzzi bath in the corner of the bedroom (not in the bathroom)which I thought was strange to say the least and the carpet was mouldy and rotting badly around the bath.
The Wifi didn’t work (we were not given the passcode) and when I tried to call reception it just rang and rang. We didn’t know what time our dinner or breakfast would be served either and I had to go downstairs to ask as the phone just rang out. when I got there the reception desk was empty and they staff were all just chatting in the backroom. I felt very uncomfortable standing there until I was eventually noticed.
Dinner was awful. We were told to go down stairs into a dark, damp feeling basement room (the main dinning room was only used for functions I think) and were hastily ushered into a dingy alcove. The staff all seemed a bit stressed and we were treated very much like second class customers- no eye contact or smiles but that was probably because we were ‘Groupon guests’ I suppose. Other guests were asked if they needed anything and offered more drinks- but not us. The food was actually very good and tastey so that is a positive- compliments to the chef! We were not offered dessert menus, even though we asked the waitress for them and were actually entitled to a free dessert with our voucher' After trying to get the staff’s attention 3 times we just left as we felt really uncomfortable. Breakfast was even worse with us having to wait 20 minutes in a  queue to be seated. There were no condiments on any of the tables, the milk was off, toast was not available/offered until after we had finished our food. We had to rush what we did eat as the whole environment seemed very tense with the staff clearly very stressed- my boyfriend had to be at work anyway and because of the delay in seating we were running late.
When we checked out they tried to charge us for a pint of Tetley and a Dambuie charged to our room- which another guest had signed a receipt for. I said that it is not my signature- we are a young couple I dont think we'd be drinking that?! I just don't know how that can even happen in a 4 star accomodation?! We were not asked if we enjoyed our stay or given any feedback or commend card. I know we were there with a voucher but it was a Christmas gift so should have been a pleasurable experience and it was certainly not cheap. We would have liked to have felt valued as guests then maybe might have returned or recommebed the place.The way we were treated spoiled the whole ambience for us and made us feel uncomfortable. The staff were not rude or unfriendly and I'm sure they are doing their best- but they just seemed to lack that due care and attention which you would expect in a 4 star establishment. We were relieved to leave and I am confident to say we will never be returning to Melville castle. I would not recommend ‘Groupon’ either.  It seems this hotel is only really interested in pleasing wedding clientele but I would certainly not chose this as wedding venue myself- The place was tired, strange, and on the whole rather sad.

• Stayed April 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed there on 22/4/2014. It was clean and the staff were pleasant and polite. We had an evening meal which was very nice, the breakfast was good perhaps could have been a little warmer but overall an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed at the hotel after booking with a voucher that included an evening meal. On first impressions the hotel looked very grand ( long, leafy driveway, impressive facade and a river in the grounds). When trying to check in we were told that our booking had been cancelled, after a little wait the receptionist apologised and handed us the keys to family room ( we had booked a classic double) on the 3rd floor. We were extremely disappointed by this room. It consisted of one double and 3 single beds ( one of which had been stripped of its bedding), the rug and carpet were heavily stained, the furniture was shabby and the room was stifeling as the room was in the eaves of the building with only 2 closed roof windows. After letting reception know that we weren't happy with the room we were moved to a ground floor double. This was an improvement on the fisrt room however it still wasn't of the standard that you would expect from a 4 star castle hotel. The decor was shabby, there was mould around the window frame and the room smelled extremely fusty. The actual cleanliness of the room was quite high (apart from the mould), bedding was of a high quality and the room was spacious and quiet. After settling in we had a walk around the grounds (small but beautiful) and had directions from the receptionist and wedding co-ordinator (bth of which we very friendly and helpful). Dinner was very tasty and the wine excellent (if a little expensive). Breakfast was lovely. Tip, if the hotel is busy, arrive for breakfast no later then 9 as guest were queuing when we left at 9:30am.
All in all we wouldn't choose to stay here again due to the standard of the rooms. The hotel could be amazing with a renovation but as it is it didn't meet our expectations.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed here on 3/4/14 after purchasing a 2 course dinner, bed and breakfast deal from wowcher. Based on the price we paid the hotel was good value for money. However the location of our room was not great a it was in the annex of the hotel and had rather low sloped ceilings, we could also hear the room next doors conversation. The size of the room I could not fault though. We had booked dinner before hand and were glad because we got to sit in one of the nicer booths, we opted to pay extra and have a 3 course dinner it went swimmingly bar the 20minute wait for sweets. We went to the bar after dinner and this is where we met the best member of staff, I really wish I could remember his name he was extremely pleasant and offered top ups before we had finished and actually remembered what we had ordered. Would book to stay here again if another wowcher or similar deal came up. Could be a fantastic venue though.

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We had two nights at Melville Castle Hotel and enjoyed our stay immensely. From the booking in to the booking out, the staff were always helpful, polite and friendly. The evening meal that we had on our first evening was excellent. The breakfast buffet was good and the staff kept on top of it so that everything was always available.
I would thoroughly recommend a stay at Melville Castle to recharge your batteries.

Room Tip: We had a superior room with the bed upstairs. We thought that the room was charming and the only wa...
Ballymena, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

On arriving at the castle it looked fabulous but after checking in and arrived in our room there were dirty mugs and spoons left from I presume previous guests and also a soap bag in the bathroom. Spoke to receptionist and she removed dirty mugs and came back with them washed, while she was in our room we mentioned the bathroom light / fan. You could not put the bathroom light on without the fan coming on and the noise from it was like an aeroplane and when the light was turned off the fan continued on. Maintenance was to fix the nosy fan while we were out that evening but to our surprise it wasn't repaired, it was a sleepless night when any of us went to the bathroom during the night you thought you were at the airport.
Next morning we dined for breakfast and after finishing breakfast waiting and asking for toast three times and still it didn't arrive we left the dinning room and mention at reception that we had no hot water in our room for showering that morning and she explained the boiler had broke down and that was the reason for no hot water.... Great!!!!!
Checked out and left feeling tired, not refreshed and not showered with no toast!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Melville Castle? Share your experiences!