“Guesthouse at Eskbank” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Dalkeith B&B and Inns
Saltcoats, United Kingdom
“Guesthouse at Eskbank”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have stayed there on more than one occassion and it is ALWAYS worth the effort.....well actually it is no effort :)

Hosts are friendly and knowledgable; breakfast is excellent and plentiful, Staff re all lovely people and do a great job cleaning and preparing the rooms on a daily basis.

Ease of public transport into Edinburgh is a boon whilst access to other attractions is easy; e.g. Rosslyn Chapel, Melrose Abbey, Abbotsford........ I can go on - suggest you try these places for yourself.

I will be back - a real haven.

Room Tip: All are clean and more than adequate - no preference for me :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Findlay, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Ewen MacRae, the proprietor, was very welcoming. He has a beautiful Bed and Breakfast with comfortable rooms and a lovely garden. We enjoyed meeting his dogs who were very well behaved and friendly. The B&B is located close to bus stops that make it easy to get to Edinburgh. We would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ewan M, Owner at Rathan House - the Guesthouse at Eskbank, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
How amazing that we both knew the late Marion Bartch of Finlay and I could tell of our amazing experience in Finlay one Christmas. Small world , isnt it.

Very many thanks for your kind words, as Napoleon said ...they act "pour encourager les autres."
Scotland in a heat wave is a good place to be and we are glad you enjoyed your time here.

Ewan, Irene + Willow and Hoolie
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay than what we had at Rathan house the last couple of nights. Spacious room, comfortable bed, great food and interesting conversation around a family style breakfast table.

Ewan, out host was incredibly helpful in providing good useful tips and advice on things to do in the area, good restaurants (and a variety thereof!) etc.

If we hadn't been running around at full speed (seemingly) from dawn to dusk, the back garden would have been a lovely place to relax with a cocktail before dinner.

Of particular note for me as a food lover was the amazing variety of interesting breakfast offerings. As much as I love the traditional big Scottish breakfast, Ewan's table beats it , by far!

We're not often in this part of the world but we know where we'd stay if we came back any time soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ewan M, Owner at Rathan House - the Guesthouse at Eskbank, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Irene and I are lost for words. Imagine if someone came to your house and said such nice things.
We keep soldiering on and if everybody was as appreciative we would feel as if we should be giving our service away free. I should say that Margena deserves a lot of thanks for her hard work and dilligence in room preparation.

incidentally, as a golf nut, you will remember the trophy man as one of the other guests. He asked us to guard and look after the "Open Golf Field driving competition " trophy. This additional competition is no longer held at the Open Golf , ( concern about how far modern golfers are able to hit the ball) ......but its an amazing and historic trophy. { silver tankard which can hold 10 pints) I was "allowed to hold it for a photograph" in the dining room.....thus the new photograph on this tripadvisor page.

Anyhow, we do hope to see you once again in Scotland at Rathan House
Winter Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Ideal place to stay with comfortable accomodation and authentic Scottish breakfast. Our rooms were comfortable and clean and our breakfasts of herring, mackeral, and salmon, were different and delicious. Our host Ewan was a wealth of information for what to do and see around Edinburgh. My wife Bev and I could not have made a better choice for our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ewan M, Owner at Rathan House - the Guesthouse at Eskbank, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
It is quite difficult to respond when such nice things are said. What is worth saying is that this business is much about keeping the energy and enthusiasm up. If everybody was as nice, we would end up feeling compelled to offer our acommodation free. I wonder what the bank would say?

Anyhow it was great having you at Rathan House.....aste ye back now that you have got the
Scottish bug.

Irene, Ewan and the doggies
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Ewan and Irene made us feel like old friends! This house is so warm and welcoming...a reflection of the hosts! Breakfast is leisurely and a joy- try the salmon, you won't regret it. Our room was spotlessly cleaned every day. Ewan gave us numerous tips for touring and dining through out the area. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our host Ewan made this a memorable stay for us - it was a real travel experience and when we left we knew much more about Scottish history through Ewan and his family's eyes. The B&B was spotless and neat and the truly Scottish breakfast - a real treat. We loved the two beautiful family dogs who added this homely and unique - and very clean - place to stay. We will definitely go back. Thanks Ewan.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ewan M, Owner at Rathan House - the Guesthouse at Eskbank, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time To post a review. It is uplifting when nice things are said,

Strictly speaking the breakfasts are "Highland" not Scottish. Our authentic Highland menu is built around a menu from the mid 1800's which fell out of my grandmother's bureau after she passed away. My great great grandmother was trying to impress grandees from the south as my antecedent tried to gain a seat in parliament. Breakies worked because he succeeded. The old fashioned cooked breakfast ingredients are what I remember as a boy on highland holidays.

With the emphasis on fruit added by Irene, our guests can finish our low fat breakfast with 5 of the good things modern nutrition experts tell us we should have each day.

Anyway hope you thought they were scrummy1.

Haste ye back.

Ewan

PS You omitted the fact that I am 25% Ozzie !
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed over for one night at Eskbank House and I will certainly be back. I was made to feel so welcome and Ewan really couldn't do enough to make sure I was settled and happy.

The breakfast set me up for a busy day at work. Ewan managed to persuade me to try the herring in oatmeal for my breakfast and it was lovely. He even put flowers, which tasted like mangetout, on my plate! I also had a fruit salad, watermelon and an Aberdeen rowie slathered in jam and butter (amazing). Ewan even cut fresh mint from his garden and mixed it into my orange juice. He was very attentive and I actually felt really cared for.

My room had doors which opened out to the massive garden and I was more than welcome to use the table and chairs to sit out and read the papers which Ewan had kindly provided me with.

I highly recommend staying here for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: ask for the room with doors leading to the garden
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ewan M, Owner at Rathan House - the Guesthouse at Eskbank, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Many many thanks for your kind remarks. Of course the hosting job is made easy when the guest is predisposed to be interested in the different components of the locale and wants to discuss
them, when a guest is interested in old Scots breakfast fare, and seems to be enjoying his or herself. As far as Irene and I were concerned you were a great guest. ....and I love the word "slather"! Haste ye back.
Ewan and Irene

Been to Rathan House - the Guesthouse at Eskbank? Share your experiences!