“Gorgeous B&B with a lovely welcome” 4 of 5 stars

Ardtorna B&B
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Mill Farm, Barcaldine PA37 1SE, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Barcaldine B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Gorgeous B&B with a lovely welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here on valentines night. We had a really good stay at the Ardtorna. The couple who own the b&b couldnt have been nicer. They were really friendly throughout our stay. Our room was lovely with a great view over the loch. Everything was so clean and fresh. The bed was amazingly comfy! Only thing we found is that the room was rather warm during the night, we tried to turn the temp down but it didn't seem to work. It was lovely to have little extras like the complimentary baileys and whiskey outside your room :-) We had a really nice cooked breakfast in the morning with coffee/tea and fresh fruit juices before packing up to come home. The only other thing i would say is that it is about a 20min drive to Oban so if you did want to go out for a few drinks etc you have to pay for a taxi which i think is £36! I would defiantly come back here if we could afford another stay :-)

• Stayed February 2013
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us on Valentines night.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the many aspects of our place.

You however pointed out that you were too hot during the night in your bedroom.

Ardtorna is a newly built property that is extremely well insulated , and coupled with the large ceiling to floor windows that give so much solar gain it can become rather warm at times.

We do have Dyson fan heaters / coolers for each bedroom that serve this purpose when needed. This we detail in our guest information folders in each bedroom. I am sorry if you did not realise this ..

I do hope that we are able to welcome you both back to Ardtorna at some other future date...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Monmouthshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

You have to applaud people who try something different. Not many places offer free whiskey and Baileys and chocolates and nuts in the room are a nice touch. This new look establishment has a modern feel. The open plan owner's kitchen and public dining area does allow some noise to travel to the guest bedrooms and breakfast is taken communally. Set just above the busy coast road (with some noise) there is an elevated view across the end of the loch shore. No lounge area and so relxing is confined to bedrooms. Would probably suit couples rather than families. Breakfast was hearty with some individual touches here too. We've marked down for sleep comfort as it rained heavily one night and the rain water running down the drain pipes was very disturbing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your brief stay with us at Ardtorna.

I was delighted to read that you liked the modern style and design of our property.

You paid reference to the fact that there is no lounge area. As Ardtorna is suited to couples and not families with young children we have designed each bedroom with a sitting area to take advantage of the loch view which can be enjoyed through the ceiling to floor windows within the room.

You did mention to myself during your stay that you like to sleep with the bedroom window open, and this possibly contributed to you having a disturbed nights sleep.

I do hope to be able to welcome you both back to stay at some other future date.
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed here just before we had our first child. The building is amazing with fantastic views over the water. The room was very comfortable, clean and stylish. All the rooms are a wee bit different and the owners have put a lot of through into the decor. The furnishings are of a high standard. The breakfast was amazing. As I was pregnant I was having to drink decaffeinated tea and I was so grateful to the hosts for buying in tea bags especially. It's small touches like that which make all the difference. I'd love to go back but we need overnight babysitters first! If you are going you should know that the B&B is a wee bit out of Oban so a car is probably a necessity. The only other thing to consider is that if the B&B is full you will get some noise from the other visitors. I remember being woken up by a couple coming in late and chatting in the kitchen area. All the doors to the rooms open out onto the same corridor and noise does travel. I was also a wee bit worried that we had the TV on too loud but no one complained.

Room Tip: If possible try to stay at the far end of the corridor away from the kitchen area.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us.

i was delighted to read that you enjoyed many aspect of our place from the design and style to the gourmet breakfast.

You mentioned that you were concerned that the volume from your television may have disturbed the guests in the bedroom next to you.
We have had extra sound proofing fitted between each bedroom, so this most certainly would not have been an issue in the slightest.

I do apologise for you being disturbed one evening around the kitchen area. Sean and I waited up late for a couple coming back from The Isle of Eriska Hotel as we knew the gentleman was going to propose to his girlfriend over dinner.
Our fault entirely as we chatted for a considerable amount of time with them very close to your bedroom door.

I do hope to see you both back at Ardtorna when you manage to sort out a baby sitter.

Al the very best with the new addition to your family.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This was our 1st stay at Ardtorna & it certainly wont be our last. The rooms are absolutely stunning! All the fixture & fittings are of a very high standard. The complimentary whisky, baileys, nespresso, peanuts, chocolates & prosecco were very unexpected but very welcome. The use of Molton Brown toiletries continues the luxurious theme. The breakfast was out of this world & had we being staying longer I would have explored the menu more, another reason to return. Our hosts Karen & Sean were very welcoming & couldn't do enough. There was an issue with the hot water in the morning but Sean could not apologise enough & had a plumber there by 8am.... Not sure he could've done much more & it didn't take the shine off of our stay. Looking forward to our return visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review on your one night stay with us at Ardtorna.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed many of the aspects of our place, and that you were able to enjoy al the little extras that we like our guests to have during a stay with us.

Many thanks for being so understanding with the lack of hot water. As this was the first time we had encountered such an issue in 3 years we were rather confused, as we have plenty hot water for every bathroom several times over.
It turned out to be my fault entirely - i had pulled a wire away from the ground source pump while I was cleaning the laundry room out !

I do hope that we will manage to welcome you back to Ardtorna in the not too distant future .,,
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This B&B is in a beautiful location and the rooms were to a very high standard, with extremely comfortable beds. The views were great and the owners very friendly. The breakfast was to a high standard and the complimentary baileys, whiskey and nespressos really added to the stay. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at Ardtorna.

I am delighted to read that you found the bed to be rather comfortable. This is one of the many areas that we spent a considerable amount of time researching during the set up of our business.
It is the combination of the deluxe mattress and the fabulous topper that make them so pleasurable to sleep on .

I do hope that you will manage another trip up our way in the not too distant future ...
eoinbaby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Thank you so much for the fantastic night away . The room was decorated to a high standard . It was perfect. I am now trying to find the wooden vertical blinds for my own bedroom at home!!
Breakfast was superb, thanks to Fiona. We had the best night's sleep in ages due to the comfortable matress. The scenery from our bedroom window was 'picture postcard'.
We were welcomed with warm scones and jam, a bottle of prosecco was waiting for us in our room and the bed was scattered with rose petals.
Karen and Sean had thought of everything to make our stay perfect.
We will be back very soon!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review on your one night stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the warm scones that we serve straight from the oven - they seem to go down well with all !

May I say that it was a delight to meet you both, and to be able to chat to you during your brief stay.

Should you need any help with regards to the wooden blinds, please e mail me and I shall give you the details of where we purchased them from.
I would forward all the information in this review but guidelines do not allow me to advertise or promote a business !

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ardtorna soon ...
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Situated in a stunning location this B&B has the look and feel of a boutique hotel. The friendly owners ensure that guests are well looked after with complimentary treats during your stay. Breakfast is a delight with an extensive menu to choose from. The place to stay if you are heading to the Oban area.

• Stayed October 2012
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at Ardtorna.

I am delighted to read that you both enjoyed your stay, and that you liked the style of our place and that you were able to enjoy all the little extras that we like to offer our guests while staying with us.

Been to Ardtorna B&B? Share your experiences!