“Could be perfect...but not yet” 3 of 5 stars

Le Bourg 7
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Rue du Bourg 7, Lutry 1095, Switzerland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lutry
Prague
“Could be perfect...but not yet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I have spent couple of nights in Le Bourg 7 recently. Arrived there late, hotel was locked, fortunately taxi driver found a door bell. The person on the other side told me that all details including room code number were sent to me by email - unfortunately only few hours before my arrival when I was in the plane already. Lady tried to excuse herself by saying they did not have my mobile number to call me, which was not true, it was sent to them two times. Small things, but unpleasant.
Hotel is really nice, in a old part of the village, just few steps from the lake. Apparently it is newly reconstructed, but I was told that the couple running it does not have a lot of experience. Room was nicely furbished with good bed and nice bathroom. On the other hand - there was only one window facing to the narrow lane, so there was almost no daylight. Church bells were heard, but only to contribute to the atmosphere of the beautiful historical city center.
Breakfast was a surprise. Normally I enjoy hotel breakfast a lot as usually at home I do not really have time to prepare anything complicated apart from weekends. Well - there was a croissant, chocolate roll, two minibaguettes and butter and jam. And coffee. And some more stuff in a buffet I do not really eat - cereals. No cheese (in Switzerland!), no ham, eggs, nothing. It was a bad start of the day. Than I asked for a wall socket reduction as my laptop has a different plug. Unfortunately, hotel did not have any.
Next day I reserved for a breakfast only few minutes - that's what you need for a cup of coffee and one croissant, right? Surprise again - lady in the breakfast room told me that I can order some additional stuff. Damn, too late.
You need to know that hotel does not have a restaurant and it closes around 6pm, so food you have to get somewhere else. On the other hand - there is a free Wi-fi, which in Switzerland, one of the richest countries in the world, is not so usual.
To summarize - I loved the location, I liked my room (despite lack of daylight). But there were small things making it unpleasant. My feeling is that a lot of that is about communication with the guests and staff training. But the breakfast should be improved immediately.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
lebourg7, Manager at Le Bourg 7, responded to this review, February 19, 2014

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we have taken note of your comments about the breakfast.
We do have larger rooms all with 4-6 windows, unfortunately, all of our smaller double rooms only have 1-3 windows, please let us show you a different room on your next visit.

Kind Regards

ana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The hotel said they would wait until 9pm. We found the hotel in the dark at 7 pm and the staff was leaving. If we had arrived 2 minutes later, we would have not been able to get in. they said they sent us an email but we did not have wifi so could not get the message.
The breakfast included is in a beautiful room but is bread and coffee. no fresh fruit. If you want real food you must pay.
The room is modern and lovely but very very very small.
the location of the hotel is just lovely. Much better than staying in Lausanne
The staff were helpful with finding trains and telling us about the area and were very friendly
I would stay here again but just make sure that the meeting time was guaranteed

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
lebourg7, Manager at Le Bourg 7, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
thank you for your comments and the lovely comments about the hotel and staff.
We are sorry we where not here to welcome you personally.
there is no problem for late arrival or if you didnt receive our welcoming mail as there is a reception button on the outside of the hotel to get the code for your room for all late arrivals or in the case we are not here. We never leave our clients unatended to and we are sorry if we didnt explain this to you at your arrival.
Breakfast is composed of bread and paitries, juice,jam, butter, fresh fruit salad, muesly, yogurhts and cereals. For all cooked items such as ommeletes and panckakes there is a supplement.
We hope we can welcome you again in Lutry and maybe enjoy a glass of wine and tapas in our bar. Glass of wine is on us for the misunderstood arrival!!!
kind Regards

Lincoln, NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We enjoyed the staff of this hotel, and our room was spacious and the bathroom was excellent! The only negative would be the church across the street, if you are a light sleeper you might not be able to sleep through the church bells. The room was very modern and clean. The staff at Le Bourg 7 were the nicest people we met in Lutry, the rest of the town seemed to be annoyed by tourists.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
lebourg7, Manager at Le Bourg 7, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
thank you for your lovely comments. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope to see you again very soon.
kind Regards from Lutry
St. Albert, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Le Bourg 7, located a block from Lake Geneva in the village of Lutry (just to the east of Lausanne) is a comfortable and charming boutique hotel that provides a convenient base for exploring the north shore of Lake Geneva. The train station is a five-minute walk, a bus stop is located a block away at the intersection of Route de Lavaux and Route de la Conversion, and the Lake Geneva CGN passenger ferries dock five minutes away at the harbor. In addition, Lutry itself is a charming Swiss village featuring a surprising number of excellent restaurants, recreation activities, and sightseeing.

The hotel may be directly accessed by automobile EXCEPT on Sunday, when several pop-up posts block traffic and turn the center of the village in to a car-free zone. Best vehicular access is to turn south on Rue le Bourg from Route de Lavaux, one-half block east of the Route de Lavaux /Route de la Conversion intersection. The hotel is located almost directly adjacent to the Temple de Lutry; in fact, if you get turned around the bell tower (which I will certainly mention later) is a convenient landmark. Public parking is available in the lot just off Rue des Terreaux directly south of the Route de Lavaux /Route de la Conversion intersection for a nominal fee – CHF 13 per day if I remember correctly. The nice thing about the lot is that the ticket machines are “smart” – feeding it francs accumulates the parking time, and it automatically skips the “free parking” times, which I think are between 10:00 PM and 7:00 AM. So you basically feed it money until your estimated departure time is displayed, print the ticket, and walk away – you don’t even have to place the ticket on the dash, because presumably the person monitoring the lot can poll departure times directly from the machine and review the lot to ensure the vehicles in the lot have properly paid. If you want to be able to use your car then this may not be an attractive feature because you’re never guaranteed the lot won’t be full when you return; however, you may choose to simply leave your car in the lot and use public transit, which is what we did. If you do happen to arrive on a Sunday, I recommend locating and checking in to the hotel before attempting to drag your luggage from the lot to the hotel – staff will show you the “short” way through a couple of arched passageways that is much more straightforward then trying to negotiate through the streets.

As mentioned, Le Bourg 7 is a smaller boutique hotel. A common area serves as a reception area with a couple of couches, a small dining area containing four or five tables, and a bar. The first thing I noticed upon walking in is the remarkable decorating, extending from the furniture through the lighting and chosen accents. It turned out that the hotel is also a “living showroom” featuring designer furniture, lighting, and bath fixtures. Like what you see? Comfy bed? Cushy couch? Love the shower-head? Confer with the staff and a catalogue will be produced and presto, an identical item will be ordered from the factory and shipped to you. I don’t really know how often this happens, but I do know that it has happened.

Check-in was swift and smooth, and we were assigned a room in the main building (the building directly adjacent to the north also contains rooms). Those traveling with more than one suitcase per person will likely need to make two trips in the elevator, which is small. A huge feature, and one that cemented our decision to use public transit, was the issuing of free transit passes that allowed passage on all forms of public transportation including bus, metro, and train within the zones specified on the pass – essentially including everything between Lutry and Lausanne.

Our junior suite was on the second level over the main entrance. It actually reminded me of a very small bachelor’s apartment. The entry room contained a couch, table, television and a small kitchenette, and the bedroom contained a king-sized bed, end tables, and a wall-mounted television. A window in each room opened to provide good air-flow. The very nicely appointed three-piece bath was located off the entry room near the door – although the room we were in did not have a tub, the shower with the Hansgroehe rain-shower head was wonderful. For those spending several days, the kitchenette contained all the essentials for light meal preparation, and a small market is located on Grand-Rue a half-block from the hotel. Furniture in the room was modern and comfortable, and although I did not see any other room I was led to believe that a different design motif is used in each.

Breakfast is served in the common room, and although the selection may not have been as varied as what might be found in a large hotel we didn’t go hungry, and the quality of the food was quite good. As mentioned, several excellent restaurants are located within a five-minute walk. I have to recommend the burger place I was guided to (thank you Tess!!), just steps from the hotel, called Le Non-Stop.

And now, the one bad thing. I know this has been mentioned in several previous reviews and I have to be honest here. I’m very sorry Ana…I know that having a church and bell tower might add to the charm of a Swiss village but the hotel is RIGHT next to it. It destroyed a good night’s rest. I’m not sure if it’s less noticeable in a room that doesn’t face the street, but it was a show-stopper for me, especially the evening call to mass in which the bells rang continuously for five minutes. Please note that my rating of the sleep quality has NOTHING to do with the beds and pillows, which were exquisitely comfortable. I was awake the majority of both nights we were there…and I can’t even begin to imagine what it would have been like had we needed to keep the windows open.

To summarize, this is a wonderful, beautiful property owned and operated by fantastic owners and staff. Everything about it is fabulous…until the bells start. If you can tolerate that, you will love this place. Would I stay here again? Absolutely, but I would make sure I reserved a room with the least exposure to the bell tower, and bring good earplugs.

Room Tip: If you cannot tolerate church bells ringing through the night make sure you ask for a room that mini...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
lebourg7, Owner at Le Bourg 7, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
thank you for taking your time to leave such a lovely, beautiful and detail feedback on our hotel.
We really enjoyed your company too. As for the church bells......., I am aware that if you are a light sleeper you might hear them during the night.
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

As a hotelier of top international luxury hotels in the world, I am spending my honeymoon in Switherland and this hotel almost ruined my Honeymoon!!! This is a hotel with only around 10 rooms and I booked rooms through Splendia.com (linked by tripadviser) around 2 months ago and paid full amount. They sent a email in the early morning in inform me hotel is overbooked and want to me move to another hotel!!! I have called a few times to the hotel after receive the email, Ms Ana Martin, who is the owner of the hotel, just picked up the phone and informed me this is the emergency number and she can't deal with the solution and ask me to call back again after reception opens which is rediculous !!! She even denied to admit she is the person in charge after I asked who I am speaking with!!! No recommdation for any bookings!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
lebourg7, Manager at Le Bourg 7, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Unfortunately first time for us!. We tried our best to make you happy and offered you tapas and wine int he evening for a free dinner as well as transport to the other hotel wich we carefully selected for you. Unfortunately human mistakes happen so i can only apologize for it, but its just sad you werent willing to accept an apologie and compensation in return. In front of a problem......there is only one way............ a solution, its the way we accept it that makes all the difference.
Los Angeles, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Where should I start? 100 meters from the hotel is a church which rings the bells every half an hour. This lasts though the night, so you cannot sleep. There is no air conditioning. The rooms are small but crowded with completely nonfunctional furniture which makes them even smaller. The bed is way to soft so if one person is heavier than the other, the entire bed would lean on heavier person's side. So, you cannot sleep while on VACATION!!! The breakfast is completely inconstant, one day you get certain food the other day is just coffee and bread. Definitively not worth your money. Avoid it, unless you want to ruin your vacation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
lebourg7, Manager at Le Bourg 7, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you didnt enjoy our hotel, you are the first over 7200 clients that have stayed with us that didnt enjoy the comfort of our british beds brand ( the one that makes the beds for the queen of England!).
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Hotel was very good, room beautifully appointed but small given the rating and cost and it's in CH!! Check in and reception staff very helpful and a good breakfast. Would like a seniors discount next time please. Located near the beautiful Lake Geneva

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
lebourg7, Manager at Le Bourg 7, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
thank you for your lovely comments, will pass on the good work message to the rest of our team.
It was nice to have you with us and we hope we have the chance to see you again in the near future
Kind Regards
Ana

Been to Le Bourg 7? Share your experiences!