“Back on 22nd Jan2013:):)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Brisas Covarrubias

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Padre
Hotel Brisas Covarrubias
You added Hotel Brisas Covarrubias to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Covarrubias, Puerto Padre 77210, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Puerto Padre
haliburton
“Back on 22nd Jan2013:):)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The awesome staff and the beach make Cova are choice every winter,they do amazingly well with the resources they have at hand.Cova is like family to us,and we are looking forwards to are 2 or 3 weeks there this coming winter,This time we are going to try deep sea fishing;)Looking forwards to seeing all the staff again and waking up to the sound and sight of the beautiful ocean and beach..Give Cova a try,you may find yourself wanting to go back year after year as we do..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying here last month and the accommodations were nice. The pool is clean and inviting for both children & adults. The staff I spoke with are locals from Puerto Padre and were all very proud of the area. Kenia, the sub commercial director, is one of the best hospitality people I’ve experienced on the Island. The activity director and hotel manager were also very professional and accommodating. The rooms were well maintained for a hotel located on one of the nicest beaches on the Island.

The features of this resort make it a sure pick for families.

Room Tip: Only two suites but well worth the extra price
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
CovaManagement, Director of Sales at Hotel Brisas Covarrubias, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear guests,

We are glad and happy to know about your recent experience in our hotel and to know you enjoyed it so much. We know for sure there is still so much we need to improve and so much work still to do, but our staff and our clients help us go further.
Once again thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Kenia Rosa Vence Alvarez
Sales Director
Brampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I travelled with my 11 year old Son and enjoyed our time !
I have to first thank Lliana who was wonderful in handling any of our accomadation needs and truely works hard to make guests feel at home. Fernando our Sunwing Rep was amazing ! Very down to earth and joined us in activites and was amazing with all the guests & kids at the resort.
The resort itself is quaint , close to everything and clean. I had read reviews that it was dirty and that is not the case at all! The maids kept our rooms very clean everyday with towels etc...the only problem was that the rooms are a little worn down and need work, it did not bother us though. The other problem was water was shut off allot making it difficult at times and we found ourselves working arround their water schedule verses when we wanted to shower.
The food......the first 3 days were not very good but got better ! We had hot dogs, grilled ham and cheese was amazing ( BEST BREAD EVER) and fries just about everyday for snacks. There is allot of food and no reason to go hungry, my fav. was the a lacarte with delicious fish and shrimp !
The beach was beautiful and beach bar was great for checking out the ocean views, just breath taking!
I have to say the Staff is amazing and we tipped them very well and hope all that go there do the same, the Lady Chefs were soo sweet, always with a smile working the pasta station or grilling foods we also tipped them as they are the ones that work soo hard for the guests.
Local Cuban's stayed at the resort as well and we found some to be amazing down to earth people we shared some drinks with, while others were very rude when it came to be served at the restaurant and bars.They would bud right in front of you in lines like you did not exist, what bothered me about this was that some staff members saw this happen and did nothing about it, this was truely a dissapointment considering all the tipping we had done for them all week.
All in all , we had a nice week of true relaxation which is what we were looking for. If you are looking for 5 star this is not it ! We were looking for basic fun in the sun with a little adventure and got it! The adventure part is in 2 hour bus ride to airport was very scenic and a real eye opener of how Cuban's live
For anyone going, enjoy your time and memories you make there !!!

Room Tip: Tip > we took allot of essentials for gifting like nail polish,deoderant ,batteries and even clot...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
St.Ann's
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went to Club Covarubias with my family last winter, booked failrly last minute, so we got a fantastic deal.
Fairly long bus ride from the airport to the resort, however we were aware of this before, so no surprise.
The resort is very small, and does not have alot of amenities, however, It was one of the best vacations I have had.
The staff are wonderful, they try very hard to serve you to the best of their abilities, very friendly.
The rooms are a little tired, but I didn't spend much time there , so it's no big deal.
Food was pretty good, didn't go hungry. The pool side BBQ is great, and the beach side pretty good too. Different menu every evening.
The beach however, is AMAZING!!! So beautiful and makes all the little things not matter, the water is calm, and beautiful. There are a few little burrs, but again not a huge deal.
The pool bar is open 24 hours, which is nice. The shows were good!! I like the live music, multiple instrumental bands etc. Not so much of the silly shows at other resorts, I went to the show every night, which I NEVER do at other resorts.
I really like the friendly staff and environment. The resort is tired as I said before, but I will return for sure as the beach and the staff make up for what may be lacking.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Pros:
-beautiful beach, coral reef, lots of fish for snorkeling. Water is absolutely beautiful.
-beach hut for drinks, snacks and more shade than the palm shades at beach.
-very nice and accommodating staff. (Renee, Tony, Horatio and Elizabeth were splendid.)
-Cuban singers /guitarists did great job (give them good tips, they deserve it.)
-rooms cleaned well.
-Everything is quite close to everything within the resort, a good resort size.
-No problem getting beach beds or a private spot.
-lots of wildlife to see, crabs, hermit crabs, lizards, chameleons and lots of fish.
-Food is repetitive, but it is decent (better than any Varadero resort.) Fresh mango is great, lots of fruit juice, good breakfast options including an excellent omelet station and their ham and cheese and fries snacks at the bars are very good. I also liked their own ketchup and mustard. Sometimes there are flies buzzing around the food, but that's no problem. Omelette station was great. Their spanish coffee was delicious. Beer and drinks standard cheap alcohol at an all-inclusive.

Cons:
-I cannot emphasize this enough, the worst thing about the resort was the mosquitos. June is the worst month apparently (didn't know that.) Some wonderful Quebecers told us to only use Watkins bug spray, from pro hiking stores ("Off!" and Muskol don't work at all!!) Good quality bug spray is a MUST! If you get the good stuff you'll be fine. Resort is near a swamp habitat, so mosquitos are extra bad. By the beach they aren't a problem though, and usually they stay away if the sun is out.
-Sometimes there are power outages, a nuisance at night if the air keeps turning on and off or you are watching tv. (they actually had some movie channels that played modern movies which we enjoyed while it rained.)
-Food is repetitive, but nobody should expect different coming to Cuba. They actually did really well for the food options available. I was impressed.
-small cups for drinks, so bring a big one of your own if you dont want to keep walking back to bar for more. It takes so much energy to walk in that heat!
-1.5 hour bus ride is quite bumpy, but doable.
-You get the occasional people who complain about everything and talk down to the Cuban staff. That really broke my heart. It was petty complaints too. Some people need a reality check. Enjoy your vacation and don't criticize everything. Also realize that it's a poor country, and we should realize how good we have it.

It was great resort to just relax at and swim / fish. Beautiful water, cool little discoteque in middle of bay with a bridge you can fish off (lots to catch and fun to do.)
Excursions are basically non-existant. Unless you want to see the local Cuban town, you really come here for the beach, water and good service.

Beds are hard, A/C works great and rooms well maintained. Bring peso tips as they really do go a long way for the staff.
Thanks for your hard work, we enjoyed our holiday.

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Travelled to Brisas Covarrubias from may 27th to june 3rd. Nice resort but not enough to make me go again.
The rating points are mostly for the beach and the staff. People working there were always so nice and polite with everyone, friendly, easy to talk with and that was great. They are the turning point of the resort !

Pros:
Great beach and gorgeous ocean!
Nice size of resort, not to big so always close to everything.
Rooms: large and very clean
Staff: just wonderful !!!

Con's:

Food....wooo....so little choice at the buffet and way to many dishes with the cumin spice.
Chicken and fish overcooked at the grill...
The only good meal was breakfast. And you can survive with the burgers, hot dog and ham&cheese sandwiches but....even if we are not picky with food we had a hard time eating something...so that's really too bad.
Second thing is that the resort is surrounded by nature. But not any kind of nature....mostly a swamp!! so mosquitos are present at all times. We knew there were some so we brought are mosquito stuff which didn't work there....

So..the swamp will always be there and mosquitos too....and that's mostly why we won't go back.

*** lots of Cubans on the resort coming on "vacation" for a day or 2. No problem with that, we're in Cuba! But when we saw them throwing plastic glasses, dishes and food around....we really didn't like that behavior. We try so much to always keep everything clean and seing them acting quite as if they don't care at all made me kind of mad.
And let's not mix things. I'm talking about cubans from outside the resort. People working on the resort are just wonderful !! They are the one who made this trip nice.

Thank you all for a pleasant vacation. Special thanks to Iliena you are wonderful, also Rene the TMR rep, Tony the great barman and Dixan the chef !

** by the way, take a massage it's worth it !

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Before my husband and I booked this vacation, we sincerely did not expect much. I'm glad we hadn't put our hopes up as we got for what we paid for. This is our 9th time in Cuba and although the last time we vacationed there, we told each other that we'd wait before going back. This time, we said it again...

This hotel should truly be rated a 3 star. The food was good but there wasn't a vast variety. Having been to Cuba so many times, we expected this and were happy with what was offered at the buffet.

Insatisfactions:
The room was very spacious but upon arrival, we had but one towel and there were many dead flies on the floor. We metioned this to Reception who were rather nonchalant about this... After the cleaning crew did their round the next day, we realized that only the bed was done. We were still missing towels and the deads flies were still on the floor BUT the tip we left them was taken... The next day, I sat by the pool to make sure not to miss the cleaning crew. As soon as they were done (honestly 5 min later...), I ran to the room. The dead flies were still lying on the floor, the bed was done and still missing towels... I ran back out to politely advise them of this. They acted all surprised on my reaction. Needless to say, I asked that she re-wash my floor, as she struggled to make me understand that it was done, and all the while she was re-washing it, she was being grumpy... Usually Cubans are great people and I do not want to generalize, but this put a damper on our wanting to go back to Cuba.

The pool didn't work all week. They kept telling us that it would be fixed but that did not happen. The waiters and waitresses needed to be called to get something to drink in the dining room; and many times, I would get up and serve myself. They would continue chatting by the bar area as if I wasn't even there... I found that rather rude and arrogant...

Lastly, the mosquitoes were awful. Had they given me an extra week free, it would have simply been NO just for this one reason. My body was covered in mosquito bites from head to toe.

Satisfactions:
The beach, the sea water, the chef, the cigars...

Room Tip: DO NOT PAY for VIP as you do not get much extra except a free langoustine dinner for 2 which costs...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Brisas Covarrubias? Share your experiences!