“Not your typical guesthouse...” 3 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Brydene Guest House
23 Ruby Street, Saltburn-by-the-Sea TS12 1EF, England   |
:London
“Not your typical guesthouse...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Ok, so first of all, I can understand where the other reviewers are coming from, and if we were gauging this from a typical punter's perspective, the ratings are fair. To understand where I'm coming from I guess you'll have to understand what my expectations and experience was vs what you'd normally expect.

My trip to Saltburn was a surfing one, as I'd heard from the Guardian that it was a great spot to learn (which it is, and can recommend Flow Surf School if you're looking for lessons). The train was delayed by 3 hours so instead of my expected 10:30pm arrival, I was going to be well into midnight by the time the taxi dropped me off. I rang the owner, Mary, and she said it was absolutely fine. She even mentioned she had kept some dinner waiting for me since I was arriving late. Now that's sweet.

The Brydene is very close to the station. If you're training directly into Saltburn, it's a short jolly round a couple of blocks and sits atop the hill, only a trot down to the beach. It is a typical terraced house on arrival, with Brydene above the door. Fairly nondescript.

But upon knocking and being greeted by Sean, Mary's lodger and a nice bloke to boot, I immediately thought I had ventured into a timewarp. Distinctly 70ish wallpaper, furry carpet, 2 even more furry Pekingnese dogs and literally hundreds of trinkets. Everywhere.

Both hosts graciously heated dinner for me, Sean offered me a beer and said I could smoke in certain parts of the house, and we stayed up and chatted for half an hour. He then gave me the key and took me up to the single room, also colourfully mismatched, including the bed linen. A small sink and mirror, a very decent shower inside the room, side dresser and a few coat hangars. One could say it definitely needed a spruce up, but on the other hand the bed was comfy & clean.

Over the next couple of days I got to know Sean and Mary, and at every turn they were very gracious and kind. For an extra £6 I even got a hearty Sunday roast and breakfast was good (but greasy). There was no checkout time when I was there so got to stay a few hours extra on Monday (Bank holiday) before heading home.

So why the discrepancy between reviews? Well, the guesthouse in the name pretty much sums it up. This is definitely Mary's house, and with that comes a few quirks you wouldn't expect in a professionally run business. Her house has odds and sods pilled up in every corner, the house (her mother's) is a throwback from many decades ago, smoking's allowed in certain parts, and Mary's hobby of collecting junk and stripping it is evidenced in a few places. But as such, she's not looking for star ratings, and to be honest I don't think she's too bothered about reviews and such. The website, which admittedly does need an update, is not something that fusses her - she's just happy pottering along, taking care of her guests and dogs, and enjoying the Saltburn air. Which I can relate with.

The Brydene is not a place where you'd have a family holiday, or romantic getaway. It's much more suited to solo travellers, workmen, students, etc or people who can handle quirks such as the above and don't need (or expect) the usual B&B type fare. You could agree that the 1 stars the other reviewers have given are fair if you have standard expectations. The reason I'm giving 3 stars is not because of the furnishings, the crisp sheets, the wonderful amenities, etc but because Sean and Mary made my stay welcoming and enjoyable. And for me, that made it all the more worthwhile.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

3 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

DO NOT ON ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GO HERE..
Booked this for an over night stay as at a family wedding. The website has false images ( which i'm going to take further ) ,.
On Arrival on a terraced street of houses, when the landlady came to the door, she was scruffy. As we walked in behind her the walls in the hall were orange with tabbaco stains and stunk of grease. i was so taken aback i was stuck for words. and thats not like me!!. the room was flithy about a months worth of dust over her arrange of ornaments, dont think its seen a lick of soap and wa ter in months... We followed her up the stairs to a room with a double bed, and a single bed, nothing matched headboards where propped up with cuhions, she asked me not to turn off the switch by the bathroom,. omg it was an electric toilet!!! it was in a cupboard with a shower which was no bigger than my size 10 body !!... well i just turned round and walked out.. left the keys on her door step and walked away ........ PLEASE DO NOT GO INTO THIS PLACE ...IT IS FILTHY.. THE PHOTO'S ARE NOT WHAT THE PLACE LOOKS LIKE......... i didnt even get photo's i was so taken aback... i will be contacting who ever decides on what places can be b&b's..........

Room Tip: Never ever ever go there........
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My family and i booked the above guest house in Saltburn, for one night based on the great website and supposed reviews from other guests. It offered a friendly welcome, comfortable beds, fully furnished rooms with on suit facilities and a trained chef!
We were met by a man who was not at all welcoming, we were asked to follow him and were met by darkness and a smell which they had tried to mask with fresh air spray, he showed us to our rooms which was a complete miss match of furniture, paper was hanging from the walls and it felt dirty. The wardrobe in one bedroom was held together with blue tac! There was a toilet missing from one room and the showers would not work in two rooms. One room looked out onto a back yard which was full of junk and in the tv/dining room there was yet more rubbish covered over. Breakfast was a joke, two of our party were asked to sit at the coffee table to eat a cooked breakfast, the cereals were out of date and the breakfast itself was swimming in grease. Two of our party were ill the next day. I have never stayed anywhere like it and wouldn't want to again.

Room Tip: Always check websites out thoroughly before making a booking.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Brydene Guest House? Share your experiences!