“Fantastic value” 4 of 5 stars

The Spa Hotel
Saltburn Bank, Saltburn-by-the-Sea TS12 1HH, England   |
“Fantastic value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at The Spa Hotel on the 26/1/13 with the boyf, the weather was very cold but the temperature in the hotel was perfect the staff were very friendly especially the 2 young lads that worked the bar and restaurant in the evening extremely friendly and had a great sense of humour (made me proper laugh out loud) I would definatley recommend this hotel for a weekend break :-))

• Stayed February 2012
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thanks for your review-it's much appreciated. We've had a great deal on over February and March and I'm glad you enjoyed it...Come again!

Cathy Kelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Belton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I had some business in Middlesborough and also have family near Saltburn so looked for a hotel that suited both requirements. I also lived for a period in Saltburn as a kid and looked forward to strolling around the town.
I must admit that when I work away, all my expenses are covered and I would normally have stayed in a larger chain hotel.

The location at the top of Saltburn Bank gives great views of the sea and cliffs but the main thing that impressed was the warm welcome from Ann(e) and her staff. The room was freshly decorated, warm and homely. The hotel is a treasure trove of curiosities: for example there is a pleasant little reading room, well stocked with a wide variety of books and wIth good free wifi access. Extensive decorating is ongoing, though this is not an intrusion.

The food is excellent: well cooked and homely, my brother and sis in law joined me one evening and commented on the quality of the food. I think they will be using the Spa now! Well done Chef!

In conclusion, though I am not personally paying, I consider the value is excellent, both for room and food. I am working a further six days in Cleveland in Jan and Feb and will be staying at the Spa again for this. A great alternative to a faceless 4 * chain hotel which would be my normal accommodation when on business.

Would I use the Spa if I were paying out of my own pocket? Most definitely!

I have stayed in hotels costing twice the price and more that do not compare in welcome, room and food etc.
The building and furnishings are a joy in themselves: another reviewer said 'shabby chic' not derogatory: just the opposite: charming. The right blend of old and new. I must stress that 'shabby' does not apply to the bedroom: just the opposite.

In conclusion: The Spa: the owners, staff and the building itself are full of personality.
I rarely write reviews on hotels that I use on business: a recommendation in itself that I felt moved to review the Spa.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your review and for taking the time to post it. It really helps us to read that we're heading in the right direction and gives all the staff a lift to know that their efforts are recognised!

Saltburn is a lovely place to visit and our mission is to bring this hotel back up to the standard that it should be, in such a pretty area.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future and thanks again.

Best wishes, Cathy Kelly
Redcar, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My elderly mother-in-law needed somewhere to stay over Christmas, so I booked her into the Spa Hotel for 3 nights. After reading negative reviews I was apprehensive, but there was no need to be. The manager invited me to call in beforehand to check the bedrooms. The hotel is being refurbished, and on the day my mother-in-law was offered a choice of 2 rooms. She chose a room which had not yet been redecorated, but it was still very good - large, warm, comfortable, with a decent bathroom and fantastic views. The staff were extremely considerate and helpful. We had lunch on Boxing Day in the conservatory - again, fantastic views! The menu was limited, but the food was good. The chips are wonderful! I'm tempted to book in myself next Christmas, and leave the house to the rest of the family!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your review-We're really happy that your mother in law enjoyed her stay.
Please do come again. This time next year all the rooms will be decorated!

Cathy and Jonathan Kelly
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed in a beautiful large family room (for 6) at The Spa Hotel on Christmas Day. The Christmas dinner was delicious & the service was absolutely spot on! All 4 kids loved it there ~ we were only 5 mins for the beach so went for a walk on the pier. Can't wait to get back there again in half term. What a lovely, friendly place!

Room Tip: The hotel is getting renovated room by room ~ but even the ones which haven't yet been finished...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. Our 1st Christmas here was a busy and good one and we're so glad that you enjoyed it too. Our family rooms are currently the rooms we're focusing on as Saltburn in the summer is a great place to be with kids. Our books and games room is decorated now and being filled with toys and fishing nets every week in preparation for the warmer weather!

We really appreciate our customers taking the time to review us. It gives us a good indicator of where we should be heading and the different areas that people really value when away from home.

Burton upon Trent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

When I left the north east back in the 1970s The Spa was a dance hall. It's perched atop Saltburn Bank with views across the bay to Huntcliff. As a hotel it works well and at £45 a night brilliantly. My room was large, clean and with a real bath. It was even possible to park directly outside and access via a french door. Staff are clearly local people with little training in hotel management and all the better for it. The only issue I would raise relate to the quality of finish of the building work leading to a shabby exterior and things like jamming doors. Would I stay again - certainly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review; we really appreciate it and is good to hear that we are heading in the right direction. Please visit us again as we will be working hard to keep improving.

Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We called in here for lunch during a day out to Saltburn. Initially I was hesitant as the hotel does look 'tired' from the outside. However I am really pleased that we gave it a try as I could not fault the food or the service. We ordered a hot beef baguette and chips, the chips were 'proper chips' and the nicest I have tasted for a long time. The beef was lovely with lashings of gravy but we were also provided with an extra gravy jug just in case we wanted more.

The young man who served us was fab! Very friendly and couldn't do enough to ensure we enjoyed our lunch.
I would definitely return to the Spa Hotel for food, I couldn't comment on the rooms as we didn't stay over but it does look like there is a big refurbishment program in place and the bar area was certainly clean, comfortable and welcoming!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is lovely to read your comments as our new Chef and his team have been in place for the last 2 months and the feedback we are getting is brilliant. As you said, the refurbishment programme is well under way and we totally agree that the outside looks tired and is high up on the priority list!

We hope you will visit us again in the future.
Best regards,
West Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just had two nights with my husband and grandaughter, and we really enjoyed our stay despite a few minor problems which were speedily resolved. The owners and staff here are all SO friendly and welcoming. I know there's a lot of updating still to be done in lots of the rooms, but it's very clean, and when you see what's been done already,I can see this place been a really top notch place to stay.We enjoyed our breakfast, and the chef made our grandaughter a pizza which was delicious,we didn't try a meal, but were told they were lovely.We shall return next year,and would like to thank the owners for all they did for us. We wish you all the luck in the world! Thank you. xx

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your review-we really enjoyed having you! We're decorating again next week and am sure that when you come back you will see the change...We're also adding toys to the kids toys/games box all the time and the fishing nets, buckets and spades will be ready for summers on the beach.

Please do come again, your feedback was really helpful and we're definitely acting on all the ideas!

Kindest regards,

Cathy Kelly

Been to The Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!