“beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Galini Sea Apartments

You added Galini Sea Apartments to your Saves list
Galini Sea Apartments
2.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Corfu-Lefkimmi National Road, Benitses 49084, Greece   |
gosport in the uk
“beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

we stayed here in 2000 it was our first family holiday abroad and we were on a very tight budget but these apartments were wonderfull and the views were breathtaking i would love to go back again as they offer a great value for monry

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Galini apartments and was very pleased with the location - right on the beach - and cleanliness of apt. Cleaned daily and unobtrusively... When I was around cleaner waited until much later to clean up. Owner was helpful abd friendly- offered to drive me to pharmacy when stung by a wasp!
Benitses lovely if you want a quiet holiday, not much to do if you want more active holiday. Definitely recommend hiring a car to see more of the island.
Only downside with apt is busy main road with not much in the way of pavements- alot of care needed, especially if you have children. Otherwise, definitely recommend Galini on Sea.

• Stayed August 2012
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Galini on Sea Apartments, Benitses Corfu

Price: booked through lasminute.com as a package with flights from Gatwick. Whole package was 315 GBP and I estimate 135 GBP were for 3 nights accomodation here.

Room: it said 2 star but I was impressed. The room was very large and had a separate small kitchen and decent sized bathroom. The room had a balcony that backed on to the beach.

Location: Benitses is about 15 minutes from the Airport and has a port and beaches you can swim at. However, it is not as lively as other parts and the beaches are better elsewhere.

Benitses does have all you need as a base or a quiet stay but I preferred to drive elsewhere during the days. There are some cruise options from the Port in Benitses which would be convenient but they weren't all that frequent and the one I wanted to go on wasn't running until later in the week.

There wasn't much tourist information in Benitses but you could seek it out.

There were plenty of food options and small bars and you can hire cars, scooters or quadbikes easily and relatively cheaply here in June which is still technically the offseason I believe. I hired a quadbike for 15 Euro a day and paid the extra 10 for more insurance so my excess was only 150. It was one of the best investments I ever made. I had a ball on that quadbike and got to zip around most of the north of the island in my 2 day stay.

Taxi to/from Airport should be 25-30 Euro. I paid 30 at night and 25 during the day. It is about 15 mins by taxi. Agree the fee up front as there is no meter.

Facilities: Free wifi worked well. The room was cleaned daily and was clean in general. There is a fridge but it doesn't keep things overly cold. I couldn't get the air con to work which would be a disaster in the warmer months. It was bearable during my stay. The notes said that all doors needed to be shut and I tried everything but to no avail. maybe I was just doing it wrong. The owner was in Athens and the cleaning lady could not speak english and wasn't around much to ask about it.
There is no pool, but it backs out on to a beach. I did have a swim in the pool just up the road for 2 Euro one afternoon.

Bed: I had two single beds pushed together. The mattresses were quite old and firm but it was ok.

Staff: Only met the cleaner who hung around until 11pm when my flight came in. Not very much english but showed me the basics and there was some notes on a paper left there regarding air con, keys and wifi.

Conclusion: This was cheap and did the job for me. if you are staying in Benitses, I recommend it. But as a solo traveller of 33 years of age, I would stay in another area which had nicer beaches and a bit more liveliness.

Highlight of the trip: hiring a quadbike from Corfu Plus rental company for two days and cruising around the island on it. Visiting Golden Fox in Lakones atop the mountain was amazing. The views up there were the best I've seen and on par with those I saw in the Swiss Alps. This is a great island. Get out and see it!

Corfu Plus rental company

Was looking for an automatic car to rent for the day. No places in Benitses had one free so I decided to try a quadbike. After only riding a scooter once before, the quadbike looked interesting.

It was only 15 Euro for the day and I took the extra insurance of 10 Euro per day to ensure my excess was only 150 Euro in the event of any accident.

The British lady was very helpful and friendly and gave advice on the spots to visit and how to get there. She called Spiro to come down and give me some personal tuition on the bike before they set me loose.

Spiro ran me through the basics and we drove up and down the street first to ensure i was ok. then I was set free!

What an amazing day. I rate it as one of my best days travelling and I've been to 23 countries in the past 15 years.

The bike was easy to drive and control and it went fast enough to get me around. It was also small so made it easy to park and get around cars in small streets.

I can't recommend the quadbikes and this place enough. If in Benitses, check them out. They are just down the road from Galini Sea Apartments.

Corfu

I only had 2 days in Corfu. I was based in Benitses and got to see most of the island from Paleokastritsa up to Sidari and then back down to Benitses via the coastal route.

I didn't get to Kavos or Ag Gordios which I hear are very lively though.

I intended to check out the beaches on day 1 and then get a cruise on day 2. I hired a quadbike and drove to Paleokastritsa which had some beautiful beaches. The highlight was driving up the hill to Lakones and checking out the view back down from the Golden Fox restaurant which had a pool and the most amazing views I've ever seen. You cannot go to Corfu and not visit here.

I then decided to ditch the cruise idea and spend day two visiting some other beaches. I left early and drove to Sidari and all around the north cost and back down the east coast to Benitses. It wasn't as good as day one, but there are some great beaches and spots up there too.

Sidari Bay was nice but I kept driving. Cape Roda and Aharvi were also very nice. Kassiopi had some nice scenery and the water was multi coloured with a pebble base. I decided to keep driving until lunch and a swim at Kalami, which was also very nice.

My tips for Corfu as a 33 year old solo traveller on a 2 day visit in June 2012 before the peak season madness of July/August. Bear in mind I only saw the north half of the island and did not do any cruises which I hear are also brilliant.

1. Stay somewhere with the beaches and nightlife that you desire nearby. I stayed in Benitses because of costs and proximity to Airport and what I thought would be easy access to day trips. I would stay somewhere different next time. Do some research on where you want to stay.
Next time, I would stay somewhere with nicer beaches and maybe some better nightlife. A hotel with a nice pool is also an added benefit but you can find nearby ones you can visit or pay a small fee to use. I paid 2 Euro at one pool. Its a nice option at the end of the day if the beach isn't convenient.

If you want a party hostel, I believe Pink Palace at Ag Gordis is the place to go or down in Kavos. There seemed to be a bit going on around Aharavi too.

2. Visit in the European summer. June seemed perfect to me. It was cheaper, the weather is still 30-32 degrees celcius and sunny each day and the crowds are not as big as the later months. Any hotter than 32 and it would be pretty unbearable.

3. Hire a quadbike or car and drive around the island beach hopping. The quadbike was awesome for a solo traveller. The roads are fine, the traffic isn't too hectic and I didn't have a problem at any time. There aren't a heap of signs so take a map and keep an eye out for the signs to the direction you are heading. The only area that confused me was passing through Korfu town.
They also rent scooters but I think the quadbike is a better option. It handles better, seems safer and there are some roads up north with pot holes that would be difficult to handle on a scooter. Driving on the right was something different for me as an Australian, but I found it very easy. You just need to be careful as with all driving.

4. Visit Paleokastritsa and then Lakones and drive to the top to have a swim and some food at Golden Fox or one of the restaurants up there which overlook the best views you can imagine. It is heaven up there.

5. Use sunscreen. I have been to some parts of Europe where no matter how hot it is, I don't get burnt. Corfu is not one of those places. It burns you quickly. Take some sunscreen with you because they charge a lot for it over there.

6. Spend 5-7 days here. 2 wasn't enough but was all i could fit in this time around. There is plenty to see and do in between lazing on the beach or by the pool.

7. Sample the local cuisine. It is great and the servings are huge so if your meal comes with a small salad, don't buy a side salad as you won't need it. Grilled octopus was a highlight, along with souvlaki in its traditional form!

Other advice I was given before I got there but didn't have a chance to use are:

Try and hitch a sail boat ride to Sivota.
Try and visit Blue Lagoon and some other islands like Ios and Mykonos during your stay in Greece.

Conclusion: I love this place. I rate it up there with Hawaii in terms of a sun lovers holiday. In fact this probably has more consistent weather and beaches to explore.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Galini Sea Apartments? Share your experiences!