“Basic clean & functional” 4 of 5 stars

Red Tower
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nikiana, Lefkada Island, Nikiana 31100, Greece   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Nikiana
Andover
“Basic clean & functional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Just come back from 2 weeks at The Red Tower Hotel. Had a wonderful relaxed time and met lots of new friends with whom we shared many a good laugh! The hotel itself is fairly remote and
up in the hills. There is a free shuttle twice a day which takes about 10 minutes to the
small town of Nidri. One of the main things that saddened me when we arrived was that no one helped with our suit cases. I am 72 and by no means incapable, but I had to struggle with our heavy suit case up and down several flights of stairs while staff just looked on !

Our rep Suzanne turned out to be a real super star! She dealt with a few
niggles quite admirably! The food tended to be of the basic Greek type but the main niggle
was the food was never really hot. It was all prepared in the kitchen at the back of the pool
bar and had to carried up a flight of stairs to the restaurant. Suzanne managed to get us
some fried eggs on a few mornings to the delight of many, but the cold food issue was never
really dealt with. My partner Val, had a fall just before we arrived, we didn't know it then
but she had broken a bone in her foot. Suzanne procured some crutches for her for a small
fee, (after she negotiated the ridiculous high fee asked!). However, I think the last person
to have used them was Noah, after he tripped over a ferret on board the Ark!
They were quite truthfully useless, no fault of Suzanne's. She turned out to be the best rep
we have ever encountered and she got our money back! Val soldiered on without the crutches
and truly never let her fall spoil our holiday. All in all we had a good time. Our room was
what you would expect for this type of holiday but we got the stunning views we asked for.
The maids never really excelled themselves, arriving late in the afternoon to sparsely clean
the room and would insist on throwing Val's shoes way to the back of the sofa so I had to
crawl on the floor to retrieve them!
The bar staff deserve a mention, Manos Yanna & Nikos proved to have great senses of humour
and took all the stick we threw at them and gave good in return!
Would we go back? No. The food issue really needs to get sorted. I'm used to walking out
from where we are staying, with my camera. You can't really wander off anywhere without
getting a bus. A little too remote. This spoiled it for me.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Greek first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Just returned from a weeks stay at Red Tower Lefkas. After reading last years reviews we didnt know what to expect but can only say we neednt have worried. It was great. Hotel location was fantastic, rooms clean & big, great views, great staff and great guests (havnt laughed so much!!) Susie the rep was great and always asking us if everything was ok she went out of her way to help.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 16 and had 2 balconies with fab sea views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my 6 year old have just come back and we had a fantastic holiday. What a lovely friendly place. The staff Manos, Nickos and Yanni were all friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble.
The views from the hotel were stunning. We had a sea view from our balcony and the same from the pool/bar area. The pool was lovely and clean and there was a children's pool too.
The rooms were clean and spacious with a kitchen area and a fridge, which was a bonus!
The beds were very firm (which wasn't to my taste but that's just personal preference)
The rep Suzie is excellent. Very friendly and helpful. We were the first holiday makers of the season, and she immediately sorted out the few small teething problems.
The food was fine. Breakfast was a bit hit and miss but lunch and dinner were lovely. Lots of home made Greek food and delicious salads. There was something for everyone and myself and my daughter had no problem filling our bellies!!
The bar served free drinks from 10.30-10.30 which was fine as we just made sure we had a couple in front of us at 10.30. Most people were in bed before 11.30/12 anyway..it isn't a party kind of place.
We went into town on the shuttlebus. Its only ten minutes away and the shuttle gods back and forth 3 or 4 times a day. The town has loads of shops and eating places.
Its worth noting that there is no shop on site. Anything you forget, you'll have to go into town to buy.
Its also worth noting that there are an awful lot of steps at the hotel, so it really isn't appropriate for anyone with mobility problems.
If you want a quiet, relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings though, give Red Tower a visit. I certainly intend to return!

• Stayed May 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Had a quick week away with my husband. Didn't expect too much because of the earlier reviews but all I can say is we were pleasurably surprised.

The food is plentiful, buffet style. Beautifully cooked meats and wonderful salads. Only thing we could have wanted was some more fish dishes.

Maria organised a scooter for us which we used for 2 days to look round the island. It is a wonderful place with mountains and beaches. We have been to lots of Greek Islands and Lefkas is right up there for scenery and friendly people. We shall certainly return one day.

The rooms have been painted and retiled in the winter and the rep Suzie sorted out some dodgy tiles near the dining area. The staff couldn't have been nicer.

Drinks were good and pool area brilliant with the wonderful view. Only criticism is the pool bar playing music round the decking areas all day which was unnecessary/ unwanted as there was mostly older guests staying.

Thankyou to Maria and her staff for a wonderful holiday. Thoroughly recommend this hotel but please note there are a lot of steps to and from rooms if you are infirm.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a Sea View it is well worth it.
Tonbridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We've just returned from a week's holiday at the Red Tower with Thomson Holidays. Suzi the rep is great and despite being newly posted to Lefkada is already knowledgeable about the island and its charms.

The hotel is very quirky - as an earlier reviewer said, it's like Port Meiron with twists and turns and set out like a village rather than a soulless hotel block. Maria and her staff are hardworking and extremely helpful - if you have any problems or questions, just ask.

I'm afraid I couldn't give 5 stars because the beds were too firm for our liking.

Its location provides panoramic views out over the sea and the islands beyond, but the downside is that the hill road up is extremely steep. Here's a tip: turning left out of the gates takes you down the hill in a much more sedate fashion; and if you do decide to walk into or back from Nidri, it's worth saving yourself a heart attack by going the extra few yards to return by this gentler walk up.

The very good news is that the hotel provides a shuttle bus (actually a people carrier) down to Nidri, and I'd recommend taking advantage of it. It's 7 Euros for a cab back if you want to come back after the shuttle stops running, but one of the restaurants we ate in gave us a lift back for free - thanks, Christos from Pefko/the Pinewoods.

We ate out twice for dinner and once for lunch (I'll write full restaurant reviews in the appropriate section in a day or two) and enjoyed a delicious chocolate ice cream from the chocolate cake shop/ice cream shop/takeaway coffee place on the main street just opposite Avis car hire, called Chocolat. Unimaginative name, perhaps, but the smell when you walk in as it's all made onsite...

Meals at Red Tower are straightforward local dishes. Imagine that Maria and her staff are feeding their families: and they're sharing that with the guests. There's always choices, but just like in the family, not everyone is happy with all the choices. (I'd like to reassure the previous reviewer that I'm confident that a vegetarian could have had a full tum at the end of their stay.)

The Pool Bar has a variety of drinks and is all-inclusive until 10.30pm and after that you pay. We paid for drinks a couple of times and didn't think that 2 Euros for a glass of wine and 3 Euros for a large (megalo) beer was expensive. Bar staff Manos, Yanni, and Nicos - who also do meal service clearing plates - are friendly, courteous and polite.

What a shame I couldn't say the same about all of the guests.

Suffolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here last summer with my family. Staff were friendly enough. Amazing views across the sea to the mainland and this is what had really sold it to us and on this part it didn't disappoint. Loved Lefkas - if you are looking for unspoilt real Greece so will you. We had a car - a necessity here unless you are happy to stay in the hotel as there is nothing much within an easy walking distance. We toured the island, hopped the short ferry to Meganissi - which was so peaceful, and drove up the mainland as far as Parga (nice town but much busier than anything on Lefkas).
The Red Tower hotel was to be honest a disappointment. My husband and I had a tower room which was over two floors - stunning views to wake up to and no complaints with our room as we are accustomed to basic Greek rooms. The whole hotel however, is no good for anyone with mobility issues as there are many steps and not at all well lit - I am surprised they do not have health and safety incidents as lots of uneven flag stones.
My daughter and mother had a room at the back of the hotel on the top floor - due to the many steps and the distance from us, we asked for them to be moved, which they were, however this room had a real stench of paint, they were inbetween service storage and it was quite dark and depressing (like an oversize shed!) plus on the first night in this room they both discovered a huge spider (as camping enthusiasts I do mean huge!) was sharing the room with them which gave them a sleepless night! They were then offered another room towards the front of the hotel, however on moving their belongings a Czech family also appeared to be in this room which led to a day wasted full of confusion and poor communication, suffice to stay they had to return to the spider invested room although the staff made attempts to remove the wildlife!
Food was nothing special and no good at all for vegetarians (despite having emailed the hotel before booking to check it would be!). Desserts were often made of the leftover cake offered at tea time mixed into some sort of angel delight style mousse dessert - we ended up eating out a lot which defeated the all inclusive concept. I would describe it as very basic food with very little choice and we are not fussy eaters! At Breakfast the "juice" is like coloured water!
Our other concern was the cleanliness of the pool - for several days it was extremely cloudy - there is a dolphin painted at the bottom of the pool however we could not see this until the second half of the week. We did see them pouring what I presume was chemicals into the pool but I have never seen a pool look like this before!
Drinks on the all inclusive were quite restricted though we had expected this with the rating and price paid.
Entertainment = low key which suited us - there was a Greek night with dancers.
To be honest we are normally self catering people and like small and friendly hotels so often stay in 2 and 3 star accomodation, but thought we would give the all inclusive a chance this time. Don't get me wrong we had a lovely week in Lefkas and I would not hesitate in recommending it as a destination however I had expected more of the accommodation and feel they have some issues they need to address.
As a travel agent myself for a major company I have tried to give a fair and honest review here for you to make your own mind up.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Tower room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Whitby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Went here for my wife's 30th. What a big mistake! Do not be taken in by the professional photos. I paid extra for a sea view room and could just see it if I stood on my tip toes and I'm over 6foot! The breakfast consisted of cocktail sausages, boiled eggs and toast. Lunch and evening meals was very repetitive and never covered up. If you did eat, you then a fight with the wasps. We got the courtesy bus every evening into Nidri and ate in some very nice restaurants, spending money I didn't budget for due to being all inclusive.
Overall the setting and views from the hotel are stunning but that's it. Don't waste your money, go elsewhere.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Tower? Share your experiences!