“Excellent family hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Nikiana
Finland
“Excellent family hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed here the last week of June and couldn't have been more pleased with
our hotel choice. The hotel is beautiful, very clean and with excellent facilities. It is
more than anything a great family resort, but I think everyone who appreciates the peacefull
nature of the hotel would have a good time there. We would definitely recommend Porto Galini
and would stay there again without hesitation if we were to visit Lefkas in the future. Here is our more detailed review:

The excellent
- Kids club. I have to mention this first as it was the highlight of our trip to
our 3yo daughter. The kids club facilities and staff are fantastic, there is
so much to do inside and outside, and its very clean. We haven't needed kids club
facilities before on our trips, but this one set the bar very, very high for the ones
to follow. A special thanks especially to Hara, for making our stay so wonderfull.
- Housekeeping. Our suite was kept very clean as was the rest of the resort. There was
a sofa bed made up for our daughter in the living room but when they noticed that she had slept with us in the bedroom (huge bed), they had made the bed following day so that there was no gap in middle anymore as the the bed is actually two single beds pushed together. Points to them for noticing and taking care of this issue even without asking.
- Rooms/Suites. We had booked a standard double room, but received a suite. Can't complain
about that! ;) The suite was very nice and had everything you could need. There were
two outside sitting areas as there was a veranda at the front and also a huge balcony
with access from the bedroom and living room. It was very convenient that the balconies
have clothes horses so you can hang your wet swimsuits and towels neatly to dry. Good
air-conditioning and tv had both Greek and English tv channels. Reasonably priced minibar.
Towels were probably the thickest and fluffiest we've ever had in a hotel.
- Pools. Good variety of pools as there are two deeper, bigger pools and 3 kids pools of which
one even has a shade over it. Life guard service at the main pool. There was always
sun loungers available, no matter what time you went. Many times we had the pool all to ourselves. There is no reserving sun loungers with a towel here, which is an annoying problem in many other places. The beach was busier, but we always found a vacant sun lounger there as well. The sea water is crystal clear but there is not really anything to see for snorkelers. A smiling pool bar waiter visited the pool and beach area frequently.
- Breakfast. A great variety of food at the breakfast. There were so many things on offer that
if someone complains that the breakfast was repetitive, they can only blame themselves for eating the same thing every time. Coffee and tea were served at your table and they always came by later to check if you'd like more.
- Location. The hotel and location are very peacefull, but you can easily reach Nidri and Lefkada if you want more options. The local bus stops in front of the hotel. Going to Lefkada, the bus stop is the green hut left from the hotel gate after the parking spaces. Going to Nidri, the bus stop is at the phone booth other side of the road. Bus fare is 1,6e per person and there was no extra charge for a pushchair which are placed in the buses luggage compartment. There is a conductor in the buses who collects payments.

The good
- Hotel Mini Market. The hotel has a small Mini Market, which is very reasonably priced so there is no need to go to Nidri for basics such as water, soft drinks and snacks. For a small shop, there is also a surprisingly good and also reasonably priced selection of beach/pool toys, water shoes, UV protection clothing etc. And of course you can find sunscreens and bath products as well as some souvenirs there.
- Food. The hotel restaurants are all good, we tried them all. They are also not that expensive,
allthough you will get better value for your money if you go to Nidri. (And you don't even have to go to Nidri, as other reviewers have said, because there is a tavern called Keramidaki about 900m-1km from the hotel towards Nidri. Both the food and the view are excellent there.)

The not so good
- It wouldn't hurt if the staff were more smilier and friendlier. None were rude or anything, but some were quite surly looking and many of them don't greet you at breakfast or when passing by around the hotel. I am not saying that the service is bad, because it really isn't, but they would have to improve on that department to be worth 5 stars.
- Bees. This is not actually the hotels fault but there are LOTS of bees (or wasps??) around. Seems to be a problem all over the island. For the first days of our trip I had really trouble getting used to them.
- Hills. I would not recommend the hotel to anyone even with the slightest mobility or other health issues. The steep climbs in the heat are tiring and you can't avoid them even though they have golf carts. We had a pushchair and it was not convenient to reach every part of the hotel with it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Bucharest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Placed in Nikiana, at only 5 minutes by car to Nidri, center of entertainment on the beautiful island of Lefkada, Hotel Porto Galini is one piece of classy accomodation. Four stars (sometimes you can add half of a star - and this explaines the higher price of the rooms) and some strong arguments:
1. Rooms - big, modern furniture, splendid sea views (wake up for a stunning sunrise!).
2. Pools - 3, for all kind of swimmers or non-swimmers.
3. Restaurants - 2 plus the pool bar. I had breakfast included (which is served in Asterias restaurant). Rich breakfast, with everything you'd need (still, no surprises - meaning it will repeat every single day). The other restaurant - Naftilos - is also ok. Prices are higher than you will find at tavernas.
4. The beach - like all beaches from the Eastern part of the island is not spectacular (go Western for Egremni and Porto Katsiki - the famous lefkadian beaches!). It's a pebble beach, with one sunbeds row, clear water but you'll need water shoes, as there are rocks at the shore. You have watersports activities, like canoe, waterski ecc.
5. Reception - very nice ladies there, smile is their success (hello, Denisa! :-) eager to help you with any problem.
The hotel is placed on a small hill so you'll have to climb a lot of stairs from the beach / pool to the main building (if you accomodate there, because there are a lot of buildings with different types of rooms) but this is not a problem if you are not cardiac. You'll have a tennis court, a kid's place and a beautiful spa and wellness center with indoor pool, sauna, jacuzzi, ecc.
The nearest taverna is at 2 minutes by car, in Nidri direction - Keramidaki restaurant, with splendid views over the sea. It can be reached by foot also, on a 10-15 mins walk. Entertainment at the hotel is not over limit but there are some organized themed nights.
The only negative point is the terrible internet wifi, but ladies from the reception promised that the problem is going to be solved soon.
Over all, I recommend this hotel for any type of holiday (family, lovers, honeymooners ecc) as a very good starting point of exploring this very beautiful island of Lefkada. It's not a cheap choice but you will not regret the money and you will relax in any way you'd like.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I got an opportunity to have one week holiday on a very short notice. I was hoping to find a resort where I could just relax and really do nothing. As I was having the holiday by myself and in mid May I thought a resort with gym and preferably also with spa would be optimal solution (if it would rain the whole week or something). That’s what I found in Porto Galini!

The resort is really pretty and well taken care of. It’s built like a small village on a small bay. If lots of stairs is a problem for you then you should think twice before choosing this resort. Staff helps you with the luggage as they have couple of golf carts in use. Wifi has good connectivity in the room and also by the pools.

I had a double room in the main building with great sea view balkony. Room was very clean and spacious and decorated with classic style. I was happily surprised that there are such comfortable beds on a Greek Island! Very rare (have tested tens of hotels in Greece). There was no fridge in the room except the minibar. But I was able to fit in some small bottles there. Bathroom was huge – it had both a shower cubicle and a bath tub. It was also nice detail that they provide Korres shampoo, conditioner, soap, shower gel and body lotion. And their towels are fluffy, again very rare in Greece! Hairdryer was unfortunately very lousy. I tried to use it once but it was practically useless. So I walked around the whole week with wet hair.

There is couple of pool areas to choose from and plenty of sun beds with umbrellas. They have separate pools for kids and as a nice detail one of the kids’ pool has a shade on top of it. Good thinking. Pool water is quite cold though. Private beach is quite narrow but there are sun beds too. It’s a bit difficult to go swimming in the sea as it’s not a sandy beach but small stones. There is also some water sport equipment to lend/rent but I didn’t try them as the water was still so cold.

The gym is good for a hotel gym. Maybe not “a state of the art gym” as they mention on their web site :) but decent anyway. They provide you a training towel and sometimes also water (sometimes there was no water, no mugs, sometimes there was water but no mugs and once there was both water and mugs). So bring your own bottle.

I also had couple of treatments at the spa. Spa is also very clean and stylish. Treatments were ok, nothing special.

The breakfast buffet is amazing! It’s one of the best I’ve had in Southern Europe. There is plenty of variety starting from freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruits and berries, Greek yogurt, cheeses, cold cuts, omelette (both regular and egg white), grilled tomatoes, bacon, sausages, pancakes, sweet bakery products, dried fruits and nuts, homemade bread (especially the full corn is awesome)… And they serve you coffee, tea and bottled (filtered) water to your table.

But then the only real handicap is rest of food. I only once had dinner at Naftilos ala carte restaurant and wasn’t satisfied. It was early season so they had the same menu for lunch time and dinner. I ordered some appetizer (which in general are very good in this restaurant) and seafood pasta for main course. I do not know why they decided to bring both of the dishes to me at the same time. So there I sat with two gigantic plates in front of me. The seafood pasta was a real disappointment. Tomato based pasta sauce didn’t taste fresh at all (was seriously lacking some acidity) and I felt something was wrong with the shrimps. The heads were falling off when I moved around the pasta on the plate and some grey liquid was coming out of the heads. Usually there is some resilience when you’re peeling off fresh shrimps. I do not like to gamble with seafood – so I left them untouched.

Problem with all of the restaurants at the resort is also wine. They don’t serve any wines by classes which is very odd in a four star hotel in a wine making country. Also a word of warning the smallest portion of wine (187ml bottle) is not drinkable. So if you would like to have some white wine go for the 0,375ml bottle. You can take the rest with you to your room.

So I most often had lunch at Naftilos or the pool bar and had dinners outside the resort. In Naftilos you can have a great lunch if you just stick to vegetarian starters like grilled vegetables, baked feta and tzatsiki. Although I asked if I could have half-size tzatsiki (not even for half price) but they were very stubborn not to serve me a smaller portion. I found that quite odd that they rather throw away half of the portion than serve it on a smaller plate… I also must mention that the Greek pizza I tried once was the worst ever with stone hard, half centimeter thick bottom.

When you ask from the reception they will tell you that there are no restaurants or shops in a walking distance. But there is. If you walk 9 minutes towards Nidri you’ll end up in a cozy taverna Keramidaki. They serve basic tasty Greek food and have awesome sea view terrace. Bus to Nidri costs 1,60 eur and takes 5 minutes and to Lefkada it took 20-25 min and cost the same 1,60 eur. By taxi to/from Nidri costs 8 eur and to/from Lefkada 15 eur (15 min).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

This was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in! It was so luxurious and a bargain for the price. It definitely should be a 5* instead of a 4*. We had a brilliant view from our room and the staff were so friendly. The place was clean and welcoming. Outside was immense: there were 3 pools and a private beach! It was amazing, total paradise. Breakfast was included and that was really nice. I will 100% be staying again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Constanta, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

In mid-September 2013 I stayed at Hotel Porto Galini in Lefkada.
I choose to book and pay for a “superior room” because in the descriptions mentioned on the hotel WEB page and also on bookings.com website a superior room has veranda or balcony. I also ask my travel agent to ask for a sea view room, which in my opinion was a very easy task to accomplish taking into account the position and the architecture of the hotel.
When I received the voucher from my travel agency for the room type was mentioned: “double superior side sea view”. I was not worried about the “side” sea view remark because from the pictures with the Porto Galini hotel general views was clear that also from such rooms it will be plenty of sea to view.
On the evening of September 10, 2013, we arrived at Porto Galini Hotel. We made the check-in and we were directed to our rooms. Once arrived on the rooms veranda, and saw that our room is at ground level, we realized that we received a room with “WALL VIEW” instead of sea view.
During my experience over the years as a tourist, I stayed in lots of seaside hotels and I had different rooms and different types of views from the room window or balcony: full sea view, side sea view, park view, pool view, mountain view, etc.
Now it was for the 1st time that I had a room with FULL WALL VIEW (see attached pictures).
I do not really know how many wall view rooms Porto Galini hotel has, but in our block there were at least another five superior rooms with the same wall view panorama.
Of course that I went back to the reception and discussed also with the general manager of the hotel, but for the next four days (from a total of seven paid nights) we had to stay in that room, looking at the ugly wall from across the alley.
As I correctly anticipated the hotel has no side sea view rooms, only front view rooms to the sea or to the walls.
I wrote this review because no one until now mentioned on any tourist website this aspect related to Posto Galini hotel accommodations.

Room Tip: Call the hotel 2-3 days before your arrival and make them to ensure you that you will receive the ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London Mills, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

This hotel is probably one of the nicest hotels in Lefkada, It has its own beach and an amazing view. i would recommend you to reserve one of the rooms that are the part of the new building as they correspond to 4 star hotel's standards. In general the hotel is so nice that it could be easily considered a 5 star resort. Rent a car, if you don't want to be stuck in the hotel and explore the island. it is quite big and there are many wonderful places worth visiting too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The hotel is very nice with helpful and friendly staff, also with a really nice pool bar and two pools so there are available sun beds most of the time. There is also a very nice little private beach with free water sports for the guests which was also a great addition to everything else. The beach area is rather small and finding a sunned there might not be the easiest task all of the time. The rooms are spacious and extremely clean. A special mention should be made to the great playground which also offers supervision for children over four, if you choose. We are a family with a small child and we had a great vacation at Porto Galini. Highly recomended!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Porto Galini Seaside Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!