“Great Deal!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vila Valverde - Design & Country

You added Vila Valverde - Design & Country to your Saves list
Vila Valverde - Design & Country
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Estrada da Praia da Luz, Luz 8600-209, Portugal   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Luz B&B and Inns
“Great Deal!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel in dreamlike and peaceful location
Very friendly staff
Something off the beaten track ( direction Sagres)and yet nearby to Lagos (aprox 2 kilometer )
Car recommendable
For relax - vacation very recommendable
Due to the hillside location some nice views of the sea in front of Praia da Luz.
Lovely inside and outside pools!

• Stayed September 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel really did live up to the expectations we had having read the other reviews on here. It was a fantastic boutique hotel just outside of Lagos and Luz.
Margit and Luis go the extra mile to make sure you have a great stay by offering personal recommendations for places to eat and beaches to go to. This knowledge of the local area really makes all the difference and we had some excellent meals out. Also they sorted out our car hire so didn't need to worry about booking this separately. You do really need a car to get around the local area.
The pool and lounge area are great and we were reluctant to leave the hotel for the beach as it was so relaxing.
A perfect secluded setting - we'll be encouraging our family and friends to visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have always used trip advisor to check in advance the places I visit but never got motivated to make any review until my last vacation in Algarve.
I stayed in Praia da Luz in the end of september, the weather was magnificent and part of the summer crowd was already gone.
At the vila valverde hotel we had a superb stay and we got pampered every single moment we were there. The staff was very attentive but never intrusive.
The region is a must do and visiting the Cape st.Vincent together with the grotto trip in Lagos were unforgetable moments.
We strongly recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I went here as a guest of my friends who were getting married. To reach the hotel it is necessary to walk up a steep hill with no assistance with bags. I noticed what looked like a golf buggie in a shed near the car park and I think there should be a service to help people with their luggage. On reaching the hotel the receptionist showed me to my room, this involved climbing stairs with still no help offered.

The room was spacious and and bright, I wanted to make a cup of tea but was surprised to find there is no tea making facilities or water. There is a espresso machine, with two espresso sized cups and the coffees cost 1.50€ each which I thought was bad for a 4 star hotel. There was no water except from the tap.

The shower / bath was nice but only the basis; shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and cream were available. I would have appreciated a shower cap and tooth paste. The bath products were not replaced the second day. The heavy toilet roll holder became unscrewed by itself while I was on the toilet and hit me on the foot leaving a bruise. The bed was actually two beds pushed together with a double sheet, which is not comfortable. My room opened onto a roof terrace which was very nice for relaxing with comfortable furniture but meant that I had to close the curtains when I was in the room to have privacy which negated the brightness of the room. The room was full of ants. They walked on me when I was in bed, and covered the bathroom sink. A sweet fell out of my bag and when I came back to my room there were 100's of ants surrounding the sweet.

The breakfast was very nice with a good selection of cold foods and juices. However if you want a hot drink or a cooked breakfast you have to pay and ask for it to be made especially for you.

What really shocked and upset me about this hotel was the rudeness of the staff. The owners and receptionist were extremely rude and had a snobby attitude. The first day I was there a different girl was at the reception and although she didn't help me with my bags she was pleasant. The other receptionist was very indifferent and rude. The first day the internet worked wifi in the reception although not in my room. The second day I told the receptionist I had no internet and she gave me a cable. This did not work so I went downstairs to check my email with my laptop. The wifi wasn't working. I told the receptionist and she said it was my problem. I showed her that neither the laptop or my phone could pick up internet and she said she would reset the modem. 10 mins later I told her it still wasn't waiting she said she had reset the modem and I had to wait in a very rude way.

A few minuets later my friend joined me and she complained about the wifi too. The receptionist told her it was fixed although it obviously wasn't. The receptionist was getting someone else a drink so we asked her to bring us two glasses of wine. "In a minuet" she barked. My other friend then joined us and he asked about the wifi. The receptionist told him coldly she had already reset the modem.

When we came back on the last night from a party there was no staff to be seen. I was drunk and I sleep walk so I am not sure what exactly happened next. I left my room for a reason I can't remember bringing my key with me. I used my key to open the door of my room but it wasn't my room! Luckily it was my friends room. They said I wasn't making sense and then I left but I forgot my key. I then went down to reception and my other friends heard me stumbling around and went to check. They said I was asleep on a couch. I had thrown up a little on the floor and the corner of the cushion. They cleaned up and left me to sleep. I woke up when the receptionist came in and she let me into my room.

When I went to check out I told the receptionist that the toilet role holder had fallen off the wall, it was heavy and bruised my foot and the internet was still not working and that I had accidently went into the wrong room because my key worked in the door, she ignored me as if I had been talking to myself. The bill took a long time because apparently it was difficult that my friends paid my room and I wanted to pay the 10€ bill for coffee and drinks. The owner came to me and asked me what had happened the night before. I told her I had been sleepwalking and managed to go into the wrong room and had slept on the couch in reception because I left my key in the wrong room when I left. She and the receptionist took my key and went to check and left me waiting. I got no explanation why my key worked in another door. When they came back the owner in a very rude way said in bad English, "What happened to my cushion?" I honestly did not know, and explained to her what had happened that night and that I am a sleep walker and had very faint memories. She said that the cushion was wet and that the cover was rumpled from me sleeping there. She said she had been waiting all morning for me to go and explain to her (I explained to the receptionist when she arrived who was very indifferent about it) and she seen me having breakfast with my friends and I didn't go to her. She said she wanted "one sorry". I apologised and was very embarrassed. I then struggled with my bags down the hill. Later my friend said I had been sick but she had cleaned up and there was no evidence except one damp cushion corner.

I enjoyed the pool and was the only one in it at the time. That is the best point of the hotel.

They really need to improve their attitudes. The customer comes first. Even if they said that they were sorry about the internet not working I would have excepted that but the receptionist was so rude. It was like "how dare you come and ask me a question". Other than the sleepwalking incident we were very quite guests. There was many things I wanted to ask at the desk but was very intimidated by the staff.

My friends had other complaints mainly about the staff and we agreed it put a dampener on the holiday. Other wise Portugal was lovely. My friends wedding in the Algarve was beautiful and our other accommodation was wonderful. I would go back but never to this hotel!

Room Tip: Be careful because my key worked for other rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We booked five nights for ourselves and treated five guests to a short stay in this luxurious hotel. Upon arrival, we immediately faced the first problem: nobody was there to help us with the luggage. We dragged the heavy luggage up the steep path and stairs. The lady at the reception showed us around. Again, we had to handle the luggage ourselves, that means: down the stairs to check out the indoor swimming pool, take the lift and two more flights of stairs before we reached our room. The receptionist watched us struggle and did not offer any help at all.

While we are at it: the reception was never staffed when we arrived or left. You need to ring the bell and hope that someone hears it. It happened twice to us that we rang the bell and moved towards the area around the indoor pool to find someone, without any success. The reception is not staffed at all at night. You would at least expect a security guard. This had the following consequences: one night some of our guests found a distressed hotel guest who could not enter his room because the key didn’t work and he had to sleep on the couch. Another night, around 2.30 am, one of our guests left the room sleepwalking and got terribly sick in the lobby. She forgot to take the key with her. Nobody was at hand to help our poor friend. We tried to clean up everything as best as we could. Needless to say, she had no other choice than sleeping on the couch in the lobby. That’s 158 Eur wasted simply because nobody was at the reception to hand out a spare key. The next morning, she told us that she was approached by the owner who demanded an excuse. We did so on her behalf.

The overall feedback from our guests was that the staff were simply rude and not attentive. The internet did not work for any of us, neither in the rooms nor in the lobby. When asking the receptionist, she said it would be in order but nothing happened. Talking about friendliness… Upon arrival, my husband was approached by the owner (the man) on certain road rules when entering the gate. He was immediately addressed in German. You cannot assume that every hotel guest speaks German.

There is a huge problem with ants. We had ants in our bed, on the floor and in the bath tub. We would wake up to find ants crawling over our bodies. I can’t believe that we spent five nights in that bed! The bed is made up of two single beds and the gap between is simply annoying. We also noticed that half of drinks in the mini bar were already expired. If they provide any tea making facilities as you would expect even from low-cost hotels, nor does the hotel offer free water, they should make sure that the soft drinks sold at a staggering 2 Eur are not out of date. You also have to pay for the coffee at 1,50 Eur per capsule. We found this ridiculous.

On a positive note, the breakfast was outstanding. The facilities were inviting. We found our beds made up nicely upon arrival and after the wedding which was a lovely surprise. Sadly, that’s where it stops. In a nutshell, this hotel is overrated and certainly overpriced for what you get in return. Overall, we were lacking friendly hospitality and a good service. We will not return, nor would we recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This was once again an absolutely wonderful experience - staff went above and beyond to take care of us. Great rooms, dinner a la carte was delicious, excellent location faraway from the bustle, great value. I went with a friend in 2009 and both of us have returned. Made a faraway place feel like home. As this is a small hotel (only 17 rooms) you get the feeling of sharing a huge mansion with other guests. Should we return to the Algarve this is definitelly the place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hotel is perfect if you want peace and quiet and a fabulously designed hotel (I don't think I have slept so well in a long time). However, if you're looking for a full service hotel with wifi, concierge, tour booking etc, then you might want to go to some of the larger hotels in the Algarve. Despite being small, staff were very helpful when asked for recommendations, and made bookings at restaurants for us. The pool is set right in the middle of the gardens, with umbrellas and comfortable sun loungers, and there are also towels for the pool. Be warned that the water is cold! There is a lovely decked terrace outside the rooms on the first floor, which is great for a drink in the evening or to sit if you want to look over the hills and the sea. Rooms are extremely spacious and comfortable, and there is an indoor pool and a sauna, and you can arrange massages. Definitely advisable to rent a car if you want a bit more freedom to drive around (its very close to both Luz and Lagos if you want a trip to the beach or to go out in the evenings).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Vila Valverde - Design & Country? Share your experiences!