“lovely position” 3 of 5 stars

Description: http://www.luz-info.com/bars.htm#Galley
manchester
“lovely position”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Overlooking the promenade in Praia da Luz in a lovely position with views over the beach,this place is quite spacious with both indoor and outside seating.
We ordered a salad and a chicken Piripiri, but unfortunately, although it was not busy in November, we waited ages for our food, with other people seemingly served quickly.
The manager came and apologised for the delay, but didn't explain why. We came to the conclusion it was because they'd run out of chicken and had to go top a local farm to get one (it was really that long a wait !) . We wished we'd ordered the lunchtime offer which was £14.50 for 3 courses, which was enjoyed by the people at the next table.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

50% Recommend
“Delicious steaks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

definitely eat here if you like steak - this place served us the best steak in luz & the staff were so friendly throughout our stay.

Visited October 2013
Newcastle UK
“False pretences”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We walked past the restaurant on several nights and finally succumbed to the tempting offer of swordfish and 2 other courses for 14.50 euros. We were very sad to be told that the offer is for lunchtimes only. It doesn't say so outside, so we felt we had been conned. We decided to stay and to be fair, the swordfish were very nice. However we would have eaten elsewhere if the misleading sign hadn't caught us out.

Madrid, Spain
“Super cool terrace overlooking the sea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Drop by at the happy hour for very reasonable drinks, and grab a table at the upstairs terrace, where you'll be spoiled by the sea view and breeze.

Visited October 2013
UK
“Simply Awful - Worst Dining Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have experienced multiple instances of bad customer service in my time, but nothing can compare to the atrocious way myself and my girlfriend were treated at The Galley.

It was our second evening on our holiday to Luz, and after scouting the handful of beachside restaurants, we decided upon The Galley, as it looked to have an array of different food on offer, as well as a sea view.

It looked promising, but from the moment we stepped inside, things went downhill very rapidly. As we waited to be seated, a member of staff pointed out a free table in the middle of the room. He did not take us to the table, and he did not give us any menus or ask if we would like a drink.

After 5 minutes, someone eventually took our drinks order, however it took about ten minutes at least before we received them. We had also sat with the menus for just under 20 minutes waiting for someone to take our order.

Losing my patience by this point, I managed to grab the attention of a waiter who indicated someone would be over in one minute- to which I indicated that if this was not the case, then we would be leaving.

Needless to say, an English waitress came straight over and took our order.

During the time waiting for our food, I noticed that the waiting staff would always return to the bar at the back of the restaurant after dealing with one table- never paying any attention to anyone else as they passed through.

As someone who has worked in the industry, I can safely say that this is no way to efficiently manage a restaurant. Staff must always be looking to be as helpful to customers as possible, and this was simply not the case. It actually came across as if they were trying to be as least helpful as possible, especially as one waitress directed another to serve a customer, whilst she continued to wipe a table and then return to the bar.

Another observation I made was that the staff seemed to pay more attention to bigger tables. As a young couple we felt that we were being taken less seriously, and that somehow we would not complain about the service.

There is not much to be said about the food, we both opted for Piri Piri Chicken as it is a Portuguese speciality. There was nothing special about it whatsoever, simply average.

Upon paying, we both agreed that we would not leave a tip- something that I am normally funny about as I usually like to show my appreciation for being taken care of. However on this occasion, I did not feel like parting with my cash at all.

My suggestion to tourists would be to avoid The Galley, and go somewhere with better customer service, such as a McDonalds.

• Visited September 2013