“Staff and management couldn't be more helpful” 5 of 5 stars

Arion Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kokkari 83100, Greece   |
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Kokkari
Johannesburg
“Staff and management couldn't be more helpful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Although my trip was to attend a conference, I found that this hotel was definitely one to return to with my family.

My check in was handled efficiently and with great friendliness, and on arrival in my room in one of the bungalows I found it to be spacious and really nice. The colours and decor were so "Aegean" that it was impossible not to feel the energy and vibrancy.

Since I had arrived late, I would have loved a quick swim before dinner, but the pool was closed, so I went straight to the buffet. Beautifully presented and really delicious, I sat inside the dining room where it was cooler. The other guests were mostly rather stiff Germans, which meant the atmosphere was a bit too formal, but the staff really did try to brighten things up a bit.

After a great night's sleep, breakfast was really nice, although I didn't really have time to wait for all the preparation of various eggs and others, but I did appreciate that the waiter brought me a whole pot of coffee to myself, and remembered from the night before that I preferred sweeteners to sugar.

Off to my conference where I spent the day in stifling heat, but once again, my welcome back to the hotel that evening was really friendly. They informed me that dinner was a Greek Evening with a bouzouki band and dancers, and although I was determined to get back to the room early to finish my work, it was not to be. (This was on a Friday night.)

The food, again, was authentic and absolutely delicious, with many stations preparing fresh dishes on demand. (The hotel's owner/GM was constantly visible, and I think it makes all the difference.) Pudding was also glorious, but in particular there were some small fried doughnuts called "loukoumades" which are irresistible.

The musicians and dancers had everybody up and dancing passionately, and it was a great evening. I left earlier than everyone else, assuming that I would hear the sounds of the party well into the night, but once I got to my room, number 702, I couldn't hear a thing.

I was so sorry to be on business, and I will certainly return with my family. The hotel is on a hill, with mostly good views of Kokkari, and is a 15 minute walk to beaches and restaurants. Other reviewers have described the private pathway that shortens the trip, but taxis and small buses are also happy to come up to the top. The pool is lovely, but get there early if there are lots of Germans because they put their towels on the best chairs well before breakfast, and sometimes disappear for the whole day!

Room Tip: The quiet rooms seem to be near the bungalows not in the main hotel, but also probably don't hav...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
montreal, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

the Arion hotel is not only beautiful, up in the mountains with a gorgeous view, but the staff is great as well!
i was traveling with a big group (30 people), i had contacted the hotel a few months before and arranged with them to help organize my group of family and friends. Stelios, the hotel manager was so helpful and really made this part of travel easy for me to organize, trust me when i say not everyone is a s accomodating as he was.
they took care of all of my guests, knew them by name by the end of the first day, organized shuttles when needed, helped with whatever i needed. really, i can't say enough about the service and the staff. the lady at front desk (sorry i can't remember her name) was the best!! always smilling always ready to help.. and some of my guests weren't easy to deal with!

As for the hotel itself, the rooms were perfect.. ok the look is slithgly outdated... but really it's not like you came all the way there to take pics inside the rooms! the shower water pressure is amazing and i'm really dificult with that stuff.
the views are stunning, the pool is very clean and refreshing, the area is surrounded by grass which is nice on feet, it looks much better then on the pics..and the pics look pretty good.
the food was good, to be honest i would only eat there in the mornings, not because there was anythying wrong with the food, but because we had family living there and spent most nights with them. so i can't really comment on the food, but my guests said they enjoyed it.

the hotel is close to the action, but not too close.. just right if you ask me! it's a short walk down to the beaches, (side note: if you go to lemonakia beach make sure to eat at "andrea's" probably the best fod i've had while in samos) you can alos walk down to Kokkari, some thought it was a long walk but it's really about 10-15 minutes.. plus it's by the water and it's a really nice walk..walking up is not so great but not so bad either.

the hotel is relaxing and quiet, but there is a kids pool and we had a few kids with us..they loved it as well.. and the staff was great with the kids, always friendly and playful with them.

my only negative was the beds... the beds were awful.. like really bad. some of my guests said their bed was fine, but the general consensus was beds are bad.. i could feel the springs... it was not great... but i mean with everything else being awesome, i was able to overlook it

next time i return to kokkari, i will be staying there for sure! i highly recomend it, it's beautiful, clean, relaxing, good food and great staff! really nothing wrong with anything

Room Tip: ask for a view of kokkari.. the other side is not as nice
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
brossard, qc. canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This clean, comfortable hotel is located on a hill within 15 - 20 minute walk to either the city center or the Lemonakia beach if using the little private path leading down to the main road. They also offer a free shuttle service for those who may not have the energy to walk. Taxis are easily available for those who may not want to limit themselves to the shuttle schedule.(4 - 5 euroes a trip).

We enjoyed their breakfast that offered both hot and cold dishes and wonderful cakes and fresh fruit. I loved eating out on the terrace with the beautiful view of Kokkari. Suppers consisted of good basic meals composed of quality products. My favorite the festive Greek night. Folkloric dancers and musicians entertain their guests while a traditional Greek meal is served around the pool. The light snacks served at the pool bar are also good.

Some of our friends had problems with their air conditioning. Since we were on the top floor we had air and were able to sleep well with the door open.

The pool is very clean and the pool area is quiet and relaxing. The grounds around the hotel are well maintained.

The hospitality and service at this hotel, both in the dining room and at the reception is amazing. We really enjoyed our week at this hotel and highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Nicosia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Excellent service, clean, friendly staff, magnificent location with excellent view (sunrise was beautiful).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Tehran, Iran
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for a week in July. We enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere of the hotel a lot. The rooms were very clean, the breakfast was nice, the view over Kokkari village was awesome and the staff were very friendly. (Jamil and Hassan in the restaurant and Christos at the bar!) The most interesting thing in the hotel was its"Greek Night" party! We enjoyed the night with the other guests of the hotel eating delicious food, listening to live music and learning Greek dance! We'll definitely go back to Arion hotel again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

As I have mobility problems we were given a room with no stairs, there are ramps around most of the complex. the hotel is up a fairly steep hill but with the courtesy bus driven by 'Bruce' , Australian Greek, getting to the local beeches is easy.

The hotel is half board, the breakfasts were brilliant, anything hot was cooked fresh ie; eggs, bacon, omlettes, pancakes, and the continental choice was very good.

At the evening meal there was always plenty of choice and again there was always something being offered and cooked while you wait. Also a weekly bbq during June, July and August with entertainment.

The beds were changed every other day whilst we were there and towels daily. With a 10 euro deposit towels for the swimming pool were supplied. Plenty of sun beds around the pool.

For most of our holiday we were the only british couple there. Overall we had a very quiet relaxing holiday and would thoroughly recommend it. Our holiday rep Nina could not have been more helpful especially with getting us a room to suit my needs in particular with having a wheelchair.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sentosa Island, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

I booked into the Arion Hotel based on the reviews here and other recommendations. Unfortunately, I cannot endorse them and in fact had one of worst hotel experiences ever.
Yes, the hotel has a great (if somewhat isolated) position overlooking the quaint, touristy town of Kokkari. The daytime staff is generally friendly and helpful. It also has hordes of package tourists from Northern Europe, all of whom will likely be paying much less than you if you are an independent traveler. It is clear that this hotel relies on package tourism – the independent traveler is an after thought.

To my experience - My wife and I stayed twice in late July ‘10, once for one night on the way to Patmos, and the second time a week later for two nights. The first night we were in a basic and uninspired triple room (asked for double) and suffered incredibly because the aircon did not work (it must have been 30 degrees in the room)… It also didn’t help that the mattresses were no more than 15cm thick and sagging, with the metal springs pushing into our backs. The room bore visible signs of a previous break-in (i.e., a bent metal main door frame where a crow bar had obviously been used). The second visit we were given a quad room (two twin beds – same 15cm mattresses, and an ugly white bunk bed) which reminded me of scout camp as it felt very institutional. The first night was ok but on the second we again suffered because there was no air conditioning. At 180 euros per night, in a so-called four star hotel, this is simply unacceptable (two nights out of three without aircon in two different rooms – clearly the infrastructure of the hotel is failing). When I asked the night management to do something, I was told that “this was not their problem, it was mine, as the maintenance staff only worked days, why don’t I just leave all the doors open?” To add insult to injury, I discovered that while we had booked and paid 180 euros per night for two, including breakfast, via the hotel’s website, the maximum legal rate for the room, according the room-posted high season rates, including breakfast, was only 160 euros.

One other point. During our last day, we went to Turkey, leaving early in the morning and returned in the evening to find out that the maids had left our room unlocked…Thank god, nothing was taken. Of course, I could have been protected if I’d paid 1.5 euro per day to use the room safe... Has anyone on this site ever paid to use a room safe in a four star hotel?

In short, we paid four star Athen's prices for a two star product and had a miserable experience. My advice to fellow travelers is to avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Arion Hotel? Share your experiences!