“Middle of the road ....” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Stellina
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Skiathos Town, Skiathos Town 37002, Greece   |
Ranked #9 of 13 hotels in Skiathos Town
London
“Middle of the road ....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Spent a week at the Stellina in September. This was our second visit to this hotel and were disappointed with the room we were allocated. Situated at the side of the hotel our balcony got no sun at all during the day, and the bathroom was tiny. It was so small the door could not open properly as it hit the base of the extremely basic shower on entry. Hot water was hit or miss. When we asked if we could change, we were told no despite the hotel being half empty.

The grounds of Stellina are beautiful and the pool a great size. Unfortunately, due to 5 days of rain (which we missed) the water quality of the pool was poor and extremely cloudy causing many complaints from travellers. My guess is that because we were at the end of the season, the hotel couldnt be bothered rectifying the problem.

Breakfast was as basic as it was last time, but at least we knew what to expect. I take my hat off to Carla, who runs the poolside breakfast room as much of the time she was doing this single-handedly. A few little changes such as the introduction of croissants, pastries etc could make the breakfast experience so much more enjoyable.

Location was good being close to the airport and town centre. Would I stay there again ???? A tough one ...

Room Tip: Ask when booking for a room in the "new" block. You never know ... it might just work !

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

just returned from the stellina hotel nice hotel but the staff had a couldn't be bothered attitude.The hotel is very basic and not as near to the town as we thought.The pool was very dirty so we couldn't use it for a few days. finally the head rep for thomas cook came and the pool did improve a little. The pool bar closes at 3.45 in the afternoon and we could only purchase beer and soft drinks because they just had empty bottles displayed and when asked staff said they didn't have any spirits but after 3.45 if you didn't have your own then you went thirsty the super market was a 10 minuet walk. breakfast is bread , jam, ham, cheese first morning we were there we had to wait on somone going to the shops for shopping all that was available was bread and jam not even any butter. could be smashing if they got their act together

Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The hotel, as often found in Greece was very basic. Our room had a TV but only received Greek Channels so for us was worthless. There was one wardrobe in the room but no drawers so most of the clothes had to stay in the suitcase. The aircon was extra but was not particularly efficient. The breakfast was very basic.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Bolton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We spent a week in Skiathos returning on the 26th of September and here are my observations of the accomodation:-
The Stellina is a world of colour and black and white rolled into one hotel. You arrive and are placed in the black and white zone. If you are fortunate and space permits, you can step into colour for an extra hundred euros per week. Let me explain.
On arrival we were given room 115, accommodation that exists in the original/old part of the hotel. On stepping into this room I realised the sensation of a return to "bygone days" in Greece I experienced in my first visit some 25 years ago. Those of you that have visited Greece in those days will know the scene, cramped space, not enough drawers and cupboards to store your clothes for a week, and in our case thankfully not for a fortnight, one rubbish bin in room, sadly placed in the toilet no explanation needed, lack of regular hot water, lovely cold morning showers, various labelled coat hangers, I'd need say no more.
I was informed by a regular visitor, yes there are some that keep feeding the monster, that the bathrooms had an upgrade a couple of years ago. If this is the case, and a new wall shower unit was present, nothing had been done to arrest, by use of a curtain, the Greek obsession of water all over everywhere more so as the unit had the marvellous spa facility that you get in high class hotels these days. I think you've got the picture.
I was not fortunate to witness the colour side of the hotel, which is a new building, and apparently the owner's pet project I was reliably informed. However my same informant told me the shower unit was an enclosed pod, thus eliminating the water from the bathroom floor, an attraction of Greece of course that is well passed it's sell by date in hotels I've visited in the last fifteen years. Sadly the lack of rubbish bin, except for the usual drain assister in the bathroom, prevails, but more importantly the lack of smoke alarms in both worlds, a safety matter that is not singular in the Stellina.
On to the main daily social area, the pool. Plenty of sun beds, although I believe some had been removed just prior to our arrival to alleviate the shoulder to shoulder feel for the eager sun worshippers. As you would expect, there is no life guard present in this size of complex, after all the overall impression given is one of penny or should I say in this case cent saving! What is disturbing is the lack of lifebelts around the pool, however further investigation revealed a couple of life jackets not readily available in the area of the toilets and nicely hidden from view. Perhaps the spectacle of a drowning man trying to put a life jacket on in situ appeals to the owner/management's sense of humour?
The usual notice board that contains no diving, no glass around the pool, etc. is clear for all to see, then picture the irony of drinks served in glass bottles with a glass for you to self serve at your sun bed? Perhaps again another cent pinching exercise?
The pool itself had a lovely cloudy look to it, with algae visible on the sides of the walls at the shallow end. The bottom of the pool at the deep end could not be seen on our arrival, however after consistent pestering by the TC rep this could be just about seen after four or five days. During the time I was around the pool I could nether see any any movement in the water or hear the sound of a pump suggesting the working of a filter system, although I am no expert on these matters. Perhaps a saving on electric was a big temptation?
The pool bar, an extension of the area where breakfast is taken, was open serving drinks, food, a limited supply of ice cream(strawberry or vanilla) served presumably by the blob, at surprisingly reasonable prices. The big downfall was that the bar shut at 4pm everyday, thus curtailing any après sun drinks! Of course you could obtain a drink from the reception and bring it back to the pool but much easier to call to your room and get a "tinny" out of the fridge.
Fortunately the staff were pleasant and helpful and kept the place tidy despite the fact in obvious areas it would appear they have been denied, more than likely on a cost basis, the tools to do the job, and on this basis I have rated the hotel on their efforts alone.
Some people on my stay likened the Stellina to Fawlty Towers, but the amusement of Basil and Manuel going through their routines would be lost here I'm afraid.
So to conclude, I would ask myself would I stay here again, given my observations and the general fact that the customer is not "King", the answer would be only if necessary. Given the various accommodations locally I've seen whilst I've stayed in the Stellina it wouldn't need to happen!

England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We have just come back from staying at the Stallina & on our 7th stay on Skiathos. The hotel is 5 minutes down the road from the airport & was not worth paying for the transfer. The room (113) was near reception & you could hear all conversations taking place. The cleaners woke us up at 7am every morning banging about. We don't know what they were cleaning but it certainly wasn't our room as this wasn't clean on arrival & was not touched the whole stay. There was no change of towels or bedding. The bathroom/toilet door wouldn't shut, balcony furniture was broken & bedside lights broken & hanging by the electric wire. There is a full size fridge but no kettle if you fancied a cuppa. The breakfast was ham, cheese, small pieces of bread, jam & cheap cereal but plenty of coffee (milk & tea was hit & miss). They continually ran out of food & when asked by another guest where the cereal was they were told it was raining & the boss hadn't bought any. We found the staff to be unfriendly. The pool bar closed at 4pm which served drinks & food so It is a short walk 10 minute walk into town for a food & drink. We didn't use the pool & nor was anybody else but it looked like it needed a good clean. It is a great shame really as this has the potential to be really nice.

Yarm, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were a bit worried about staying at this hotel after reading some of the reviews but decided that some people nit pick a bit and it wouldnt be that bad. We had a room on the ground floor next door to the lift so it was very noisy (room 101) and we could hear every conversation of the people in the reception area as voices seemed to echo throughout the whole floor.We didnt need air conditioning as we had a few days of rain so it was cool. Its actually a very nice hotel although very basic with a very large pool but the staff just don't seem to care & have no customer service skills whatsoever. The breakfast was very basic & to previous reviewers who complained about breakfast - count yourself lucky you got cereal as well!! We got cereal for the 1st day then none & when I asked for some the girl said the boss hadnt bought any!! Two or three days later, there was cereal but the girl was in a foul mood slamming everything down and she didnt speak to anyone either. I wondered if she'd been in trouble as you could hear people complaining every morning. There's no bar as such, but you could buy drinks around the pool through the day & from reception at night but don't expect a big selection. We took a travel kettle to make a cup of tea/coffee after we got back from the beach each day and there is a fridge in the rooms to put your own drinks in from the supermarket. One evening we asked to buy water from reception & she said that all of the water was in the pool bar area so we couldnt buy any as the pool bar was closed! She said I'd have to go to the supermarket as she wouldnt be bringing any up from the pool area until later that night. After 4 days we begged for some clean towels but were told there wasnt any due to the rain! On the 5th day we got some clean towels. We didnt book transfers as its literally a 5 minute walk from the airport (opposite the football ground). We loved Skiathos but wouldnt recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Request a high floor due to noise & insects on the ground floor
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

myself my daughter and her friend visited the stellina for the 1st time this year we booked it as a base not to far away from town takes approx 5 minutes to walk in however the road leading into town is quite busy so be careful..The hotel itself was quite basic rooms not the best i have stayed in however for the 2 stars its actually not that bad... The pool area is a very good size one of the largest we saw however it wasnt the cleanest pool, unfortuately we also hit a few days of rain which led to the cushions on the sun loungers to be removed as they were soaked through maybe they should be removed before the rain as we had to lie on wooden slats which was not comfortable at all..... breakfast was horendous bread ham cheese, jam coffee tea and juice every day maybe they could vary it slightly, on booking holiday we did realise it was continental the odd croissant wouldnt go a miss...
We had to go 3 days with dirty wet towels on asking the staff for clean dry towels we were simply told there was none...The bar does not stock a great deal of drinks so dont expect any cocktails lucky to get a beer..i certainly would not return to the stellina the oasis hotel just along the road is much more welcoming having entertainment on every night also has more facilities...

Room Tip: Pool view much nicer view all round also gets the sun on the balcony
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Stellina? Share your experiences!