“4 star at best” 3 of 5 stars

Suite Indulgence
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Cavelossim
“4 star at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Having checked out of the Leela Goa on Monday Afternoon (16/9) , I write this review in a contrary tone to what I wrote on the day we arrived. I wrote a harsh review the night of our arrival which I felt was too strong , having deleted it I now write this more comprehensive and fair review.
The rooms are super, recently refurbished and very well kitted out- 5 stars for sure. We stayed in a lagoon view suite ( room 113) which was large / perfect-ideal for our family of 4 ( young children Aged 5 & 7). Two separate rooms and two bathrooms made our room stay very comfortable.
The property is large, a bit worn out in places like the pool and villa exterior - it is impressive but certainly not immaculate. The change rooms by the pool, the salon, the fitness center ( especially the equipment -cheap poor quality Precor and old cybex ) need to be refurbished just like the rooms, the restaurant and parts of the lobby have been last year.

Food Quality : not the most refined and certainly not of the standard expected in a luxury 5 star property. The buffets menus were probably aligned to the taste of the largest population of guests inhabiting the hotel for the duration of our stay and not the exotic indulgences one would look forward to when expecting to be spoilt. The food was often deep fried ( the cheapest form of cooking) , the quality of seafood was poor and what was evident was that this was an " economical" offering at best. The Goan chef was outstanding when we made a special request for local fare - which is what we did every meal .
There was no healthy menu for the waistline conscious- a necessity in my opinion.

Hospitality and Service standard : just like the hotel :pockets of excellence ; Gyandeep, Sameer, Chef Barucha , Percy and the Director of rooms : Abhishek Sharma
I had to mention their names as they made our stay special . Sameer and Gyandeep in particular were exceptional- thank you gentlemen.
A Hotel is only as good as its people and the service standard it exudes. This property lacks sophistication, its lacks warmth , its lacks personalised sensitised care and is full of mediocrity in its service offering. It wasn't a case effortless excellence nor outstanding service. The first impressions were very poor - especially the front desk on our arrival. A hotel must put its best foot forward as first impressions are everything. A vast majority of the team that work here are " shabby" and relaxed both in appearance and service - I heard a couple people comment of the service being " indifferent "- an appropriate word I think !
Overall , it's a nice place, great rooms, some great people , a nice white stretch of beach and if it all comes together ( I hope for their sake they do) it can be in the league of the Taj and maybe even eventually the Oberoi : the finest examples of India Hospitality!

Room Tip: Check the Air conditioning in your room- ours was very poor . constant power cuts leave you sweating...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Shridhar_Nair, General Manager at The Leela Goa, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your stay at The Leela Goa.

Your kind comments regarding our staff and services as well as your constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Leela Goa.

Shridhar Nair

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

If you get a good deal on a package of stay and half board it is worth it otherwise it can be extremely expensive . We have enjoyed our stay here very much. A beautiful swimming pool where you can walk through out .Spectacular gardens with beautiful flowers and lakes.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated and have already been shared with our entire team.

Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

It was my first business trip to Goa, If staying for a couple of nights or a conference then fine but I found the buffet was definitely not up to a 5 Star "International" Standard.
I haven't found any Goan special food in breakfast,

The Hotel is connected to a very clean beach.Is located in south Goa .This place is too far from north Goa. If any one is interested in visiting north goa beaches which are popular and crowded then might be is not the best place for them, If wana enjoy private beach kind of thing then it is the perfect destination. Water sports are available on beach,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your stay at The Leela Goa to attend a company event last year.

Your kind feedback is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Just finishing a 3 night stay at the Leela in goa! And here is my verdict...

The pluses..

Rooms- swank

Room service- excellent

The staff- be it the buggy driver or the guys at the bar, restaurant, front desk... Very courteous and super helpful..

Property overall- grand!!!

The minus!

The hotel to the least behaved penny wise pound foolish...

I Had taken a full board option for 3 nights.. Which included breakfast lunch and dinner buffets at the restaurant...

Given that I had a 3 month old daughter with me, I made a request to the hotel that in case my daughter was in a cranky state/crying... If I could please have some of the buffet items delivered to the room...

To start with, the guys beat around the bush seeking approvals and reverted with sorry sir no exceptions, as the buffet food cant be sent out due to hygiene reasons. They said I could order food from the room service. So inspite of me having paid all the dues, I would still have to shell out additional monies for my food?

After another logical discussion with them about it, they came back with a proposal as an exception to the norm... My wife and I could order 700 Rupees worth food each for lunch and dinner respectively.. Mind you all inclusive...thats taxes included... So a total of 1400 rupees from the room service menu.

Now I laughed out loud... If you happen to see the room service menu... You would be rotfl as well...1400 rupees would at best fetch one person a half decent meal... So the other partner would actually go hungry... ;)))

To illustrate..the cheapest dish on the menu was approximately 500 + rupees inc taxes...

I don't know which joker made this calculation and even bothered to offer it to us...Needless to say, I did share my views once again to 2 guys (read restaurant managers) at the restaurant...

My baby girl infact is unwell and cranky tonite, so when I asked the guys what options i had, they agreed to send some stuff from the buffet! So whatever happened to their hygiene story now...?

Finally I have now been served tonight a bowl of daal.. 1 subzi.. A small bowl of rice and 6 chappatis... Eureka!!!!

I reckon just over 1400 rupees...

c'mon Leela do you have to be so penny wise and pound foolish?

5 stars make exceptions... You couldn't even accommodate...and that too on the basics of food... And that too for a genuine reason...

I will still recommend you guys for all the other reasons i mentioned..

But c'mon guys...

Get a life... :))))

Room Tip: No bum squirts in the loo.. Was a huge surprise...especially being an Indian resort..
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Shridhar_Nair, General Manager at The Leela Goa, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback whilst staying with us at The Leela Goa.

We are really sorry to note that there were certain services at our resort that did not meet your expectations and your feedback has been noted.

On a daily basis we receive numerous requests from our guests asking for the buffet items to be served in the room, with everybody giving genuine reasons. Please understand that being a resort set-up, it becomes impossible to handle all such requests without compromising on the service to other guests who dine at The Restaurant.

Your positive feedback is also greatly appreciated.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Recently I stayed in hotel The Leela Goa, Cavelossim for my holidays.
The hotel location is very good, the property is vast well done and neatly maintained. Service levels are also fine.

Overall a good experience to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side are quieter and interesting.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Shridhar_Nair, General Manager at The Leela Goa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Very happy to know that you had a pleasant stay and your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Had gone with a lot of expectations for the Leela property but was quite a disaapointment. The property is vast, well done and well maintained. Service levels were very poor specially at F&B level. The restaurant was spread out but the staff did not seem sufficient. Nobody took an extra effort to check on tables. The most ridiculous thing I experienced was that they have a policy not to place an extra bed in the base category room. This is the 1st Five star property who had this policy- that even for a room of 50sq mt and had enough space. Seems like they would prefer couples stay or families to forcefully take higher category rooms. They genuinely need to improve their service levels or this property will not be in demand very soon.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the Lobby area are better. Make sure to request for rooms on the ground level if old...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Shridhar_Nair, General Manager at The Leela Goa, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to note that there were certain services and facilities at our resort that did not meet your expectations and your comments have been noted for necessary improvements.

Your comments regarding our staff will also be taken up during our staff training exercises.

Thank you once again and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Leela Goa.

Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have stayed in almost all the 5 star properties in Goa, this is one of the best. The staff is very warm, courteous. The property is very well maintained - which is the common trait one can find in all LEELA Group hotels. All their properties even if it is old - its very very well maintained. Even when i go to Leela, Mumbai for example, its one of the oldest 5 star hotels in Mumbai still it is so well maintained.
Leela Goa is spread over acres of land surrounding the lush green maintained gardens, pool, spa, and facing the sea. I had amazing stay here and i will go back again.

I like the entrance of the Hotel - the moment you get down from the car - you see a NATRAJ statue welcoming you and they welcome you traditionally with Garlands. I just loved it.

Room Tip: I stayed at Executive Premier suite - which overlooks the lagoon - so when you sit in your balcony y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to know that you had a memorable stay and your kind comments regarding our staff and services is greatly appreciated.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Leela Goa.

Best regards,

Shridhar Nair

Been to The Leela Goa? Share your experiences!