“Definately Going Back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Cavelossim
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Definately Going Back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Just got back from a 2 week stay at the Dona Sylvia, nice hotel, great service, friendly staff, nice grounds, but must say the food was not to my liking, I know we were in India ( I like Indian food as much as the next person) but not curry for breakfast (even the smell put me off in the morning), eggs were readily available and the toast was ok, the food in the evening in my opinion was awful, in fact me and my girlfriend only ate there the once even though we went A/I, we tended to eat at the beach shacks win wins was our preferred choice, Ganesh (Arthur Daley) & Ganesh were brilliant they could not do enough for you, anything you wanted Arthur got for us, even sorting out a mobile phone for my G/F so she could phone home most days, ate & drank there every day (our most expensive bill was approx. 1200 Rupees, 120 Rupees for a litre bottle of Bud & food was good as well.
we ate out nearly every evening either Mikes Place or Goan Village & prices are very cheap, 2 or 3 drinks each and a main meal you pay no more the 1000 Rupees.
We had a trip to the elephants & spice plantation, do not go on the Thomson trip as it is a lot cheaper to it yourself (save about £20) Taxi with Elvis he was brilliant, he even came out his way to find us in the evenings to see if we were ok.
Was planning a trip to Mauritius next year but put that to bed & are going back to Goa, not in the Dona Sylvia, but in apartments overlooking the Goan Village (approx. £400 for 2 weeks) Edwin the owner also owns WIN WIN beach shack is one hell of a guy and can't do anymore to make you feel at home.
I would recommend Goa to anyone thinking about visiting one hell of a country

Can't wait to go back next year and see my 2 good mates Ganesh (Arthur) & little Ganesh

Room Tip: We had a Boutique room (18) very clean & comfortable, 5 min walk to beach & 5 min walk to ma...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ResortDonaSylvia, Manager at Dona Sylvia Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2014

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

Thank you for your review and helpful feedback. We believe that feedback of any kind always serves as a helpful tool for improvement and our management team will surely strive to make the necessary improvements. Also we are glad that you had a good time staying with us and we did make your stay a pleasant one.

Looking forward to enrich your holiday experience on your future stay with us.

Resort Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Polish first
Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

It was our official Meet at Goa. first time most of the member visited Goa. Its is located far away from the city but the location and the resort is excellent.

It was just excellent from all point. The resort is with all felicities swimming pool, gaming zone, bar, restro, and beach. Its is like a modern village.

Room Tip: any room you can choose
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ResortDonaSylvia, Manager at Dona Sylvia Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2013

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

Many thanks for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. We genuinely appreciate you taking the time out to recommend our hotel and its services.

Hoping to have you stay with us at Dona Sylvia on your future visit to Goa.

Warm regards,

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Travelled to Goa (India) for the first time on the 11th November. The flight with Thompson and the Dreamliner was a pleasant change from the normal long haul aircraft, I have to say that even though we generally fly in Premium class whenever we fly, this premium cabin is by far the most comfortable that I have been on so at last someone is finally taking notice of the passenger comfort.
The Dona Sylvia is a very nice, clean and well looked after resort. The rooms albeit that you have to be careful which you select (not that Thompson give you a choice.) I read a lot on Tripadvisor about the shared balconies and thought I would try to get more info about the rooms. To do this I had to e-mail the hotel manager Atool. To his credit he replied extremely quickly and I decided to upgrade to a suite (an extra £35 a night.) The downside being it did not have a balcony!! What it did have was a lot more room to relax with a seperate sitting room and dressing area. That said if I had been given a room with a large unshared balcony I would have been just as comfortable, as I feel they are very similar in style and it would have saved me the extra cash.The weather throughout the 2 weeks was exceptional and but for the difficulty in securing a sun bed for the entire holiday (make sure you look after one of the pool boys) it would have been faultless. The pool itself is very wecoming at one end where it starts at 3 feet and does not get deeper than 4feet 6inches until you pass under the footbridge,so even people who do not swim very well can cool off without being worried.That pretty much covers the good bits. Now for the not so good ! Whilst I do not go out of my way to eat Indian food, I do not have any aversion to trying unusual looking or sounding dishes. However, the meals at breakfast, lunch and dinner are the most unappetising and unpleasant I have ever tasted and whats more mainly cold!! At breakfast you can to be fair, get Eggs cooked at the servery, fried, scrambled or omlettes which are OK but you may have to que for 10 minutes to get them. Sausages are either what they call chicken sausages or beef sausages ( frankfurter style ) again cold! The bain marie style serving pods do not keep the food at an acceptable temperature! I was told that if you ask they will cook you poached eggs on toast freshly from the kitchens which I tried and found it to be excellent the first time I asked but after that the whole hotel seemed to be asking for this and low and behold they too became hard and cold when served and the toast soggy due to the eggs being left to drain off the water whilst waiting to be brought to you. The lunch and dinner was much more of the same in terms of choice and quality (very poor). You do get vouchers to go to what they call a-la-carte restaurants "once" a week which are much better quality at no extra cost, but if you want a lobster or prawn dish, then you will need to pay about £10 more.Be warned! Twice a week they have the Dinner down on the lawns near the beach or on What the call Haystack which looks Ok but again even worse for food temperature. If you can get to know what night this happens, I would advise you arrange your visit to one of the a-la-cartes to avoid it.
Whilst we were there most of the guests decided to use the local restaurants as we did in the
evenings.Most of the local establishments have very good meals and are also very cheap (3 course meal for 4 including drinks around £24 or less!!) If I had the choice of B&B at the Dona Sylvia I would consider returning, or if the food quality could be guaranteed I would definitely return.
Whatever my personal feelings about this hotel, we met a lot of people who are regular visitors who return sometimes twice a year during there visa validation. If you get the holiday at the right price, i.e. a big discount, it is a very good holiday choice for winter.
Before I finish I want to mention the service of some of the staff was excellent and particular mention must go to Rahul in the bar and Clinson on reception who were both outstanding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with unshared balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ResortDonaSylvia, Manager at Dona Sylvia Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2014

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

Thank you for your invaluable feedback and Do accept my sincere apologies as you could not enjoy our buffet meals.We have looked into our processes here and have taken necessary steps to improve the meal experience.I am sure that you would be pleasantly surprised on your subsequent visits and stays at Dona Sylvia .

Also we are glad to note that you did enjoy some of the services on offer. Once again, your feedback has proved to be invaluable for our assessment.

We do hope to have you stay with us in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Once again we had an enjoyable 2 week holiday in the Donna Sylvia,the staff can not do enough for you ,very clean,just a lovely place to be,and so relaxing..we flew with Thompson on the Dreamliner,so quiet ,and comfy seats,made the long trip bearable but it's worth it when you arrive at such a welcoming hotel,it won't be our last visit,
Karen our Thomson rep is so helpful and a lovely person,best rep we've ever had,altogether a great holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed with our friends in rooms 141 and 142 Excellent ..corner plot.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

We thank you for posting such warm and welcoming reviews about our staff , services and the hotel in general.

We would be more than glad to serve you on your future trip to Dona Sylvia.

Anand, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This should be the first preference. It's unbelievably superb. The best staff I have ever meet and best food. Overall I will give it 5 star. I loved the way they trited us. Apart from this I have been to ramada and majorda. I really say that it's at par with this resorts.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review. We are truly humbled to hear such comments about our services and well deserving team.

We would be glad to have you back in Dona Sylvia in the near future.

somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

THE Flight:
Went on the Thomson Dreamliner for the first time economy class. Must say I was very impressed the seats are so much more comfortable and plenty of leg room/space. Touch screen T.V and plenty of movies etc.. for you to enjoy on your flight. The only downfall that I think Thomson/first choice have are they do not offer complimentary snacks and drinks throughout a long haul journey. All in all a good journey out and back.

The Hotel:
Transfer took approx. 45 minutes or so depending on who was driving the coaches I think. As when we arrived the journey took nearly an hour but the journey back to the airport took well under an hour and Karen the rep even said 'that's the fastest time I've ever got to the airport'.
Don't go to sleep on your transfer to the hotel as you will miss so much!!!!!
The hotel is stunning and kept very clean throughout, the gardens are absolutely immaculate. All the staff work very hard indeed. There is a spa which I can not comment on as never went, a pool which was cleaned every morning and night. The bar upstairs from the reception area Amelia was very nice, opens at 6pm till 11pm, there is a terrace where you can sit and smoke if you wish too, however the tables used to get filled up pretty quickly. There is another bar down by the pool which opens 11am till 6pm apparently you can not smoke there but I knew lots of people that did, I don't think they mind as long as you clean up and not put you butts on the floor. The rooms are pretty good plenty of wardrobe space, hairdryer, shower and plenty of tea and coffee. they give you two bottles of water each day, but you can fill up the bottles from water coolers which are dotted around the grounds. There is also a fridge in your room ours didn't work when we arrived but was hastily changed by housekeeping immediately when I mentioned it. The air con in the room is great if you do have a problem just tell them and they will sort it straight away.
There are several power cuts through out the day and night but they only last for several minutes so not a problem at all.
The drinks are fine had no problem with the house brands at all.

Hotel Food:
well what can I say, I have travelled to quite a few places in my time, but I can honestly say in my opinion the food was awful and I am by no means a fussy eater. I can only go on the evening meals mind as we never ate at the hotel for lunch, however the breakfast food was good as you can have fresh eggs cooked for you. Plenty of cereals and fresh fruit on offer. People have put there is plenty of variety for all but to me I didn't think so, it was also usually very cold. All in all I don't think the hotel food in the evenings was very good at all. I know I could of most probably asked them to cook me something else but when you are in a party of 4 or more you want to sit together and eat!!!
The a la Carte restaurants Mamma Mia and Kurries and Kebabs are much better to eat at we ate ther while we was at the hotel as you can visit one each week on your holiday the food was lovely, so much better than the hotel buffet on an evening a must in my opinion.
It's so cheap to eat out why not try it....

Entertainment:
The entertainment is not up to much at all, Karaoke one night a week. Then they have a few people singing throughout the other days, they all sing very well but I went to India to experience a bit of culture not to hear them sing our songs from back home....One night I asked if the singer could perform some Hindu or India songs, and some very rude people said aloud ' My god, if they want that why don't they go out and find some. Well we did on several occasions just wanted a bit of culture at the hotel for a change.

The Beach:
Very nice indeed goes on and on and on when you walk down to the beach there are a couple of beach shacks that sell some clothing and they do not hassle you at all very nice ladies in both shacks.
There are plenty of beach shacks to choose from to get your sun beds. We went to the left of the entrance to the last shack which is fab. The beach boys Deepak and Joel are absolutely great and very friendly as they are all. There was a new beach shack just up and running on our last day. The food at the shack that we visited every lunch time was brilliant. Four if us ate there every day and drinks and I don't think our bill ever come to more than £15.00. There are loos on the beach which are fine to use so no need to worry about running back to your room. They are right next to the shack you choose to eat at and they do have running showers outside to wash your hands.
There are plenty of beggars on the beach usually kids sent down by their mothers you can sometimes see the mothers standing at the back of the beach waiting for their kids to come back, they are so sweet. Also there are loads of stray dogs on the beach and in the towns don't worry they don't bother you at all. You may get the odd one that sleeps under your sunbed just to get a bit of shade.

Out and About:
When you go you must visit the local town shops are plentiful and they all sell basically the same thing they love to haggle so its a must and you will get a lot of bargains. The people are lovely and are not pushy at all. The further you go out the more of India you will see, which is what I went for keep an open mind and you will be fine. Sanitation is not great when you are out and about but hey your in India, take some tissues and hand wipes when your out and your be fine...
We went to the elephants and the spice plantation don't go via Thomson rep, why not go to the shack where you get your sunbed on the beach and ask them. The value is much better and you can do what you want you will be safe. We went with a guy from one of the beach shacks he drove us to the elephants and spice plantation and waited all day for us we also visited some temples and other towns/villages. This trip cost us £18.00 for the taxi guy for 4 of us all day, £7.00 each for the elephants including the ride and washing and £4.00 each for the spice plantation included lunch. Driving around Goa is an experience especially if your a passenger better than a white water raft!!!!

Other bits:
The rep Karen is lovely and will go out of her way to help you and very informative about the place. Don't understand how other people can say she is rude as she is definitely not at all.
Mosquitos are a problem out there well they was to me but if you go to the local super market called Watsons they sell a spray called Odomos believe me its great and I actually brought plenty to bring home with me for future holidays as I was impressed with the product. Doesn't smell as bad as that jungle formula we have and only 75p per bottle bargain !!!
Mikes Place just a short walk from the hotel is a great place to go food is brilliant and the atmosphere and staff are fab, they also hold beach party on a Thursday.
Goan village was another place we ate out at and that was also good food was also good but much prefer Mikes Place, a must if you visit.
A typical bill for our night out with starters and main course including 13 vodkas and 8 gins including the mixers come to £32.68, now you cant beat that can you back home...
None of us had deli belly while we was there but I put this down to not eating in the hotel at night, (but I may be wrong) as many people I meet had a deli belly, However you only have to pay £7.00 for the Dr to give you an injection and your troubles will be over.

All in all a great experience but I will not go back..

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

We thank you for your review and helpful feedback. We are glad that you had a wholesome experience staying with us.

Furthermore, we do apologize for the inconvenience and the shortcomings you experienced on your stay here. We believe that feedback of any kind always serves as a helpful tool for improvement and our management team will surely strive to make the necessary improvements.

We do hope to have you stay with us in the near future.

Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Just returned from a two week stay at Dona Sylvia and had the most enjoyable holiday. The staff were amazing, couldn't do enough for you, The grounds were stunning and beautifully kept. The rooms although slightly dated were clean, bed linen and towels changed daily. Joseph the Head Houseleepier was lovely, very hardworking and so friendly.
I particularly enjoyed the peaceful location, ensuring a good night's sleep in a comfy bed.

The food was very good, and there was a good choice of dishes. One of the waitors looked after us at breakfast time ensuring we had our poached eggs and delivered them to our table which was really nice.

We also ate in the a la carte Mama Mia restaurant one evening and had an excellent meal, the fish was excellent.

There was a problem with sunbeds round the pool area, particularly during our first week., not helped by some guests getting up at dawn to put towels on them ! We did actually prefer to walk down to the beach as for the price of a drink and a snack at one of the beach shacks you could have a sunbed all day. For around £2.00 this was very good value. Mike's beach shack was particularly good, and he even arranged for a jeep to drive you back to the hotel at the end of the day !

Couldn't praise Karen the Thomson's rep enough. She really works hard and is a mind of information. She also has a very infectious laugh and makes sure you have a great time.

We did the Jungle Book Trip which was a real experience, if you want to challenge yourself it really is recommended ! If you like elephants it really is a must, elephant rides and even a power shower - great fun !

Went on Mike's boat trip on the River Sal and had a great time, entertainment on board, a three course lunch, unlimited driniks, do;phins, fruit bats, fishing all for £9.00 what a bargain/

We will definitely return to Dona Sylvia . Keep up he good work !

Room Tip: Make sure you request a private balcony, we were alllocated a room which had a shared balcony, but o...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ResortDonaSylvia, Manager at Dona Sylvia Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2013

Greetings from Dona Sylvia !!

Many thanks for taking the time to share your pleasant experience on TripAdvisor. It was indeed a delight having you stay with us. We are truly humbled to hear such wonderful comments and compliments galore.

Thank you once more, your commendation is our greatest compliment and we look forward to enchant you on your next sojourn.

Resort Manager.

Been to Dona Sylvia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!