This was our third visit to the Baobab and it did not disappoint. We booked a standard room with Thomson but e-mailed the Hotel reservations 2 weeks before saying we'd like a high floor preferably somewhere near where we were last time. Charles Betts in reservations took the trouble to allocate us the same room (660) so that was fantastic. We asked Reception on two occasions for a remote control for the TV and also extra pillows but after waiting a couple of days nothing happened. We then spoke to Andrew, the Thomson Rep, who had words with the Reception staff and within half an hour we had everything. Andrew is very likeable but also very efficient in looking after his customers.
We like the Baobab very much with its lovely surroundings and grounds and also because you have the choice of eating in 3 areas of the resort - Miradadi, Baobab or Kole Kole which seem like 3 different hotels. The food is of a high standard with plenty of choice but we tended to eat breakfast in Kole Kole as it was smaller and quieter and dinner in Miradadi for the same reason. We did eat in the main restaurant (Baobab) on our last night and 2 bushbabies appeared so we fed them banana. We never saw them at all on previous stays. We also liked the peace and quiet of the Kole Kole end of the sunbeds past the al la carte restaurant which has easy access to the beach. However the beach boys were a continual nuisance and much more aggressive this year than previous. One approached me selling necklaces and was very persistent so I told him that if I wanted to buy anything I would come and ask him. Please leave me alone. To which he replied "Well don't come down to the beach then". These beach sellers put a lot of people off staying at the Baobab. We spoke to the customer service lady (Rosie?) about it and she said she would take it up again with the hotel management.
However, we will be returning to Baobab in 2014 for 3 weeks for a special occasion and we will be staying in Kole Kole. We will also be doing a safari to the Masai Mara and booking through Julius Safaris (Julies Tact) (The Orange Hut in Ukunda) who we have used before for safari and day trips. He provides an excellent personal service and is cheaper than Thomson. See Trip Advisor Review December 2012.
There are lots of monkeys at Baobab who we find really fascinating and amusing and are part of the character of the hotel. There are the cheeky Vervets who try to steal food but are very amusing to watch. There is also a family of Colobos monkeys who are always too busy eating natural food in the grass to notice you and Baboons who frequently walk through with their families. A Monitor lizard lives in the pond near Baobab rooms and goes on walkabout sometimes. However, he is being removed as he has become unfriendly towards some tourists possibly because they were poking and prodding him so for his own welfare this is the best thing to do.
The staff at Baobab are very friendly and as we have stayed in the hotel 3 times now we know some of them and they recognise us. We talked with Raymond, Front Office Manager, who was extremely helpful in getting us our preferred room in Kole Kole on our next stay so we are extremely grateful to him for this.
In conclusion we will continue to stay at the Baobab when we go on holiday to Kenya as we are very happy there and it's better the devil you know than perhaps trying somewhere new and being disappointed and spoiling our holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the world famous Diani Beach. The resort comprises three luxurious properties – The Baobab, The Maridadi and Kole Kole, offering a unique selection of exquisite accommodation and facilities spread across the resort grounds. Guestrooms have been specifically designed to provide paramount comfort and luxury for all our clients. Guests may utilise leisure facilities across the resort including 3 swimming pools, dining areas and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com, Despegar.com and HotelsClick so you can book your The Baobab - Baobab Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Baobab - Baobab Beach Hotel Ukunda
- The Baobab - Baobab Beach Resort And Spa
- Baobab Beach Hotel Diani