“Alhumdulillah, truly amazing!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 30 hotels in Diani Beach
London
“Alhumdulillah, truly amazing!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

A slighlty delayed review...

My husband and I travelled to Diani in December for our Honeymoon. First impression - Beautiful! Fantastic reception in the form of welcome dance and fresh flower petals thrown over you as you enter.

Staff were extremely helpful and friendly, they could not have done more!! The beach was cleaned every morning leaving the sand looking very clean and white. The sea was amazing, clear turquoise water. A bit of advice - we visited another hotel for lunch, we were not impressed, beach was kept badly with poor service. Diani definately is the best hotel in the area.

They have theme nights for dinner i.e. African theme nights. The food for breakfast, lunch and dinner was brilliant. There was a great variety of food to choose from everyday.

Spa treatment was great, it is a must.

We also went for 1 and a half day safari to Tsavo East, stayed at a Lodge - fabulous. One and a half day was more than enough, luckily we saw all the animals except a Cheetah!! Would recommend.

We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

563 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
Beverley, East Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

This was my first trip to Kenya and I cannot recommend this hotel enough. The staff were friendly and always smiling and the service was superb. The location of the hotel was idyllic, my room clean very comfortable and the buffet varied and superbly presented..

Unfortunately, on my 12th day I had an accident when bending to adjust a sunbed and ended up in Diani Beach Hospital for 9 days in excrutiating pain, it was then that I was to truly experience the kindness and care of both the staff at the hotel and The Diani Beach Hospital.

The hotel guest relations visited regularly to check on my progress, even when it was past the time I had booked with them, and all occasions with a bouquet of roses.

An English couple, Margaret and Peter were kindness personified and did all they could to help me; packing my suitcase settling my hotel bill and just generally showing great care and concern; even to the point that before they returned to England they spoke to a South African couple who stepped into their shoes to visit me (complete strangers to me but so kind).

The hotel security guard, Rashid, was so concerned that he visited every day to check on my progress; I have not experienced so much kindness during my travels or here in the UK and would not expect it.

On returning to the hotel, I was given a ground floor room at a brilliant rate, to wait out the time until an available flight to the UK, here too a bunch of red roses was delivered and the gardener came to my balcony one morning with some flowers he had picked for my balcony.

Mr Mata, the General Manager put the hotel car and driver at my disposal for the inevitable trip to the bank.

My stay stretched to one month and, as a result of this wonderful experience, I am looking at going to Kenya for 3 months later in the year with a view to staying longer, should circumstances permit.

I would also like to taker this opportunity to thank Dr Reikhi and Dr Gopal and their team at The Diani Beach Hospital, for the excellent standard of care I received whilst I was with them; I couldn't think of a better hospital to have recovered in.

Elaine Peirce

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
bangalore, india
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

This is a very lovely hotel.Right from the outset the hotel createsa very modern and yet warm classy enviornment. Very well ventilated property with lush green matured plants all around. Servive hospitality of the staff and the hotel team is impeccable. They went all out to make us feel at home with their warm gestures. We were travelling with young kids and they were missing Indian food. Which we got in every meal for breakfast and dinner in the hotel in combination with other international cuisines. Masal chai was v refreshing and well made. Evenings at the buffet dinner was always lively with live African music. Security at the hotel is worth mentioning as we could leave the kids in the room and go down to the bar after dinner without any fear. All in all it was just great staying there and felt at home with gd food, service, gd housekeeping .

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Nitra, Slovakia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

We spend in this hotel just 3 nights after some safari days in Masai Mara , Lake Nakuru and others...Despite of the fact that it was closure of session the staff was extremely client oriented, animations on the beach were on daily agenda ( waterpolo, beach volley, etc). Food was great as well an dthe location is just superb. We are coming back certainly...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
gandhinagar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

its nice place to visist, beaches are well clean, entrace is much attractive, food is also nice, very clean blue silent sea.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

Recently returned from a week at Diani Beach in Kenya staying in the Diani Reef Hotel.

Generally the hotel was pretty good. It has two pools one of which was a quiet pool which was a really good idea although it is by a seemingly unused/unfinished part of the hotel! The hotel has a great beach front with lots of loungers, palm trees and a beach bar. All the staff at the hotel are really helpful and friendly. We were half board and the food was pretty good and dinner was served in different places each night such as on the beach and in the garden. They set it up really well and it was a nice touch. My girlfriend had a spa treatment which she enjoyed and I used SX Scuba diving who had an office on the hotel beach and they were really good.

We had a few issues such as being shown to a room facing a wall when we had paid for a room with a sea view. We eventually got a really nice room with a great view of the sea but it took a lot of messing around. Any problem that needed sorting out ended up taking a long time often being told we would be called back to hear nothing. We were also a little put off by some of the entertainment particularly the key board man and his stunningly out of tune singer who appeared on several occasions, it would have been much nicer to listen to the sounds of the sea and wind in the palm trees. A major downside of the hotel was that everything was extremely expensive such as £5 for a glass of wine and £8 to use the internet for half an hour. You’re much better stocking up at the supermarket over the road.

We ventured out for a couple of meals to Galaxy Chinese restaurant and Leonardo’s Italian restaurant both of which I would recommend particularly Leonardo’s which was excellent food and value.

Diani is a beautiful beach and great for chilling out for a week I wouldn’t personally go for much longer. Walking on the beach in the day involves a certain amount of hassling from beach boys and stall holders and getting out after dark requires taxis as it is advised not to wander around after dark. If you want to see a bit more Kenyan culture I would go elsewhere if you want a very chilled package beach holiday on a beautiful beach and you’re not too worried about going crazy in the evenings I would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Arriving at the Diani Reef is impressive with a beautiful lobby and dancers to welcome you. Check in was efficient and we were given a room right next to the beach which, although on the small size, was kept immaculate during our stay.

The public areas - bars etc - are very nice and certainly of a 5 star standard. During our stay though they were deserted as the hotel seemed very quiet. There were not that many guests around although there were certainly plenty of hotel staff.

The grounds are nicely kept and the main pool is in a nice setting near the beach. However the second “quiet” pool was behind the Spa area surrounded by rooms that were being refurbished - some were even boarded up - so that pool was not being used by many (if any) guests.

We had read so many reviews about the quality of the food. However we were disappointed in that whilst the food was not poor it was not in any way “gourmet”. The main meals are taken in the Coral Rock Café and it had more of the feel of a cafe rather than a restaurant although the al fresco dining area high above the pool amongst the trees was a nice setting in which to eat at night. There was a fair choice of food with a heavy bias towards curries and all meals were self service for breakfast and dinner.

Lunch was served on decking above the beach at Fins - a stunning setting - and the food was either a la carte or table d’hote. The atmosphere was great there and, frankly, the food was better albeit a totally different menu to dinner.

The service was, generally, of a good standard. However there seemed to be many staff just doing nothing or taking advantage of the morning aerobics and afternoon volley ball in the pool (with the staff numbers clearly outnumbering the guests it made you question who these activities are actually for?). Some members of staff though were exceptional although we noticed half way through the holiday that the extra attentiveness was very noticeable, verging on the pestering, and an annoyance to us were the requests to sign the drinks bill whilst still eating.

We had a great stay at the Diani Reef. We had stayed at the “old” Diani Reef before it was refurbished and preferred that hotel due to the choice of restaurants. The new Diani Reef has huge potential which would be helped by changing the layout of the main restaurant and the food offered. The hotel is situated on a stunning beach and the weather during our stay was perfection. With what appeared to be an abundance of staff too this hotel could really up its game to become a true first class resort.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!