“Would totally go back...No worries. Read my review and book here” 5 of 5 stars

Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Diani Beach Road, Diani Beach, Ukunda, Kenya   |
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Diani Beach
Neuchâtel, Neuchatel, Switzerland
“Would totally go back...No worries. Read my review and book here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Okay my story's sad but true. First off: Diani Reef Hotel is the place to stay if you're looking for a great place at a great value. Because of the so-called terrorism in Nairobi, I think all the High Alerts made tourism to Kenya tank and lots of people to cancel their vacations. It was really sad because the staff was so nice and working hard to make nice food and yet there were only like 20 guests in the entire resort. It did make it peaceful. They were giving ocean view standard rooms (when I booked a garden view) for no extra charge just because they were so empty.

The south coast is a safe area and people who complain that its a far drive from the Mombasa airport are just saying that because they don't really know Kenya or the area. Maybe they are a little apprehensive and when you dont know a place and the drive just keeps going and you don't know when the end point is, you might get nervous or something.

But no need to worry! First the little bit longer drive to south coast instead of up to Nyali or Mtwapa (which take about as long because of traffic) is SO worth it. Can we say STRIKINGLY BEAUTIFUL WHITE SAND Beach at Diani Reef??? Yes Weeee Can Can!

and the Mystic Spa at the hotel was wonderful. It was beautiful, clean, professional, and the people were nice and skilled and gave great massages and pedicures. Great little places to sit and lounge and relax...So calming. You can expect to spend about 5000-10000 KSH for the basic massages and facials with things like manicures and pedicures being less. My spa bill was about 1100, and my wife got a facial, and i got a back and neck massage, and we both got pedicures. (don't ask...my wife said she wanted my toes to look nice)

The back of the hotel has a nice pool with a Tiki bar. and a few more paces past the pool and you are on that White Sand!

I will make a note here about the beach. This hotel has a great beach that has good sand and clean water. Some don't. They have great sand but the water is so shallow that there is a ton of seaweed always washed up on the sand. I even saw some expensive resorts which had this problem. Voyager up in Nyali is a nice, fairly inexpensive all-inclusive (and worth going to) but its beach is like that too, as opposed to White Sands resort in Nyali which is better, but more expensive. Even more expensive than Diani Reef was with the specials it was running.

Several double beach lounges with umbrellas for couples like me and my wonderful wife.

Only get half-board (breakfast and dinner) You dont really need lunch cuz there is so much food at the other times and you should be relaxing at the beach or pool Not at a buffet. I ordered a Tuscan Pizza by the pool and it was surprisingly decent considering I usually am disappointed in Kenya if I try to order something like that.

I know some people on here complained about the linens. I think they are just snobs. Yes the first day I noted that the towels were normal mid-range hotel towels. Then the next day they were much more fluffy...obviously new. I think the hotel is trying to respond to this nitpicky snobby complaint. If you want 6-star go spend $400 a night at a bungalow or something. Geesuz - at this resort you should spend as little time in your room as possible anyway. AND THE ROOMS WERE BEAUTIFUL ANYWAY. You get rose petals on your bed and bath the first night. the furniture is nice and bright. It was great.

Believe me, I was getting concerned as the date arrived and I was reading a bad review here and there that was even given within a couple weeks of my planned sojourn. But its all good. I think some people just can't be pleased. Even someone complaining about having a ton of charges when they checked out.

...Hogwash

Every thing extra you order, you sign a receipt for and get a copy. Keep your copies and they give you time to compare when you're checking out if you want. I think some people just dont keep track of their spending and then want someone to gripe at. And then people complain about monkeys.. YOUR IN AFRICA! REMEMBER??? I saw a lot of monkeys (they were cute), and I appreciate the complainers mentioning to close your room when you leave...but really, you thought you should leave your room open in Africa anyway???? I even had the pleasure of seeing a Komodo Dragon run across the pool area, jump in the pool, climb out, and then run across the yard, and jump in a stream. No one working at the hotel had EVER seen such a thing. I can't promise you that you'll get such a sight, but what an amazing thing to have been there fore.

The sad part for me was my wife was pregnant and got really sick after we were there (unrelated to Kenya. She's Kenyan. It was just the pregnancy) only 1 day of our 4-day trip.

But luckily, right across the streat is Diani Beach Hospital, the nicest most western hospital I have seen in Kenya. I could walk there in 10 minutes from the lobby. And I had to, because me and my wife spent the entire rest of our trip in the hospital room. I only got a massage and 1 hr by the beach and 2 hrs by the pool the first day, on our whole trip. But I'm glad my wife had good care. The hotel was great. They made me Masala Chai in a thermos to take to her and I even was able to come back and bring her back some food and fruit from the buffets.

I so would go back to Diani Reef, and probably will next time we are in Kenya.

Diani Reef Resort has some great things going for it. Its beautiful, cozy, close to the beach, the beach is gorgeous, and it's actually at the north end of the South Coast so it's one of the closest resorts from Mombasa Airport, anyway.

Also, one day I was standing in the lobby and a guy had walked over from the Leopard Resort down the road. He was complaining that it was a lot more expensive but he wished he had come back to Diani Reef Resort. He said the staff wasn't as nice at Leopard, and it cost a lot more. Next time he was coming back to Diani Reef like he had before.

And one last comment about bad reviewers...concerning the Beach Boys trying to sell rides and safaris and such. They are on ANY beach in the 3rd world. And there weren't too many anyway. And remember, they are people too. If you knew how little money they probably make you'd probably treat them nicer. Just sincerley tell them you appreciate the offer but you are here to relax and be alone with your family and wish them a nice day. Be sincere. They aren't evil. They are wonderful Kenyans! who are just trying to make a living and they dont get to stay at some amazing resort.

The resort also had some water sports avaialable. I wanted to do some of that, but wasn't able to since my wife got sick. So it leaves something for next time. I wish I could tell you a nearby safari package to buy that you'll be happy with, but didn't have a chance to try any yet. Stay tuned. Maybe next year!

So that's all. Dont hesitate. Don't worry. Just book it. June through mid November rates are lower and the weather is a bit less scorching hot and humid like December starts too get. You can always get unlucky with rain, but that can happen with any vacation.

Our four days were perfect weather and we spent three of them in a hospital room. Then after we left, there was 3-4 days of cloudier and sometimes rainy weather, surely bumming out tourist that had just arrived.

But that isnt the resorts fault or Kenya's fault. It just is.

Roll the dice on some dates and def book your vacation at this hotel. Be nice and ask for them to give you a clean nice room with good linens because you were a little afraid of a couple reviews and I am sure they will be accommodating. Tell them it was my review that won you over, and I'm sure they'll try even harder to make your stay nice.

Enjoy your trip to Kenya and stop worrying.

For Mtwapa and Nyali resorts, they always close the brideges from Mombasa and protect the tourists, and there is rarely any problems anyway, and the South Coast is fine.

Also visit (make reservations) at Ali Barbours Cave Restaurant on South Coast if you have some time. I went last year and it was wonderful and romantic and great food and atmosphere. Its literally 5 Km down the road!

Room Tip: If your booking site allows you to put in a special request, do the following there, but then ask in...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
DRBRS, General Manager at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Williamkpro,

It is great to know that your stay with us and the experience was that of a great place at great value and my team and I really appreciate your feedback which will go along way in encouraging us to serve our guests better. Your comments on Nice Staff & Food, Strikingly Beautiful White Sandy Beach, Wonderful Spa and Beautiful Rooms are well appreciated. We also hope your wife is now well and awaiting the arrival of the baby and pass our greetings to her.

We will be happy to have you back with us and make Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa your home away from home during your next visit and thank you for your willingness to be our ambassador.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Had a great stay in this resort, although you could noticed that things still had to pick up (some bars were still closed etc.) the service and the food were excellent. The staff is really friendly and helpful and always in for a small chat (especially Fredrick has great stories to tell).

Would most definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

On a more critical note, you can sometimes spot things (sunbeds) that could do with some TLC.

Room Tip: Choose the sea facing rooms (although the view is partial or slightly obstructed by the trees), the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kjell_Hass,

It is great to know that your stay with us and the experience was that of a great stay in a great Resort and my team and I really appreciate your feedback which will go along way in encouraging us to serve our guests better. Your comments on the Friendly and helpful staff in particular Frederick, Excellent food and service are well appreciated. We also have taken note of your comment that the Sunbeds require some TLC and the same has been taken into consideration and work is in progress.

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

I loved everything, the friendliness of the staff, personalised service, excellent food and having gone with my baby I got everything I needed in one place. The different restaurants serving different cuisine is a wonderful idea as it gives guests different dining options.The Jacuzzi at the spa area was not all that inviting,the room should be done in search a way, when you enter the Jaccuzi you feel peaceful.
All in all the overall stay was fantastic.
Will most definitely go
back.

• Stayed November 2013
DRBRS, General Manager at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Rthiongo,

It is great to know that your stay with us and the experience was an awesome one and my team and I really appreciate your feedback which will go along way in encouraging us to serve our guests better. Your comments on the Friendliness of staff, personalized service, Excellent food including your baby's requirement & Great range of resturants are well appreciated. We also have taken note of your comment that the Jacuzzi in the spa is not all that inviting and the same has been taken into consideration.

We will be happy to have you back with us and make Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa your home away from home during your next visit.

Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was my second time to Diani and I had a totally relaxing stay. The service is impeccable and the attention to detail is outstanding. The food was great as always although the entertainment was a bit low,perhaps due to the low season. Altogether my family and I had a great time.

Room Tip: I stayed in the corner suites and found them to be home....lovely
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Anne W,

It is great to know that your second stay with us was a totally relaxing one making our resort as your most favourite one and my team and I really appreciate your feedback which will go along way in encouraging us to serve our guests better. Your comments on the Impeccable service, Outstanding attention to details, Great food offering as always are well appreciated. However we have also noted your comment on entertainment being a bit low and the same has been put into consideration.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

A great resort. Just don't leave your outside door open or the monkeys will visit! We heard that the spa was not good value for money. Otherwise it was a very enjoyable time. The meal on the beach was great.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Fitzfm,

It is great to know that your stay with us was a great experience and my team and I really appreciate your feedback which will go along way in encouraging us to serve our guests better. Your comments on Great Resort, You had enjoyable time & Great meal on the beach are well appreciated. We have also noted your comment you heard that our spa is not good value for money which will be put into consideration though we would have wished you tried the same but may be next time.

Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Been there, couple of years back..but the memories are still fresh because of the excellent customer service provided by the hotel staff. They have a great range of the restaurants and the coffee shop serves excellent buffet from around the world. Another great aspect of the hotel is their spa..one of the best spa visited. The recreation facilities provided for adults and kids makes it an ideal place to visit with family.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach and specially the once at the first floor. Also the first floor rooms with a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
DRBRS, General Manager at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Sheebamallhotra,

It is great to know that your stay with us was a memmorable one while you found our hotel beautiful and my team and I really appreciate your feedback which will go along way in encouraging us to serve our guests better. Your comments on the Excellent customer service, Great range of resturants, Excellent buffet offering & Best Spa are well appreciated.

Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed here for 2 days. The Hotel and rooms were fantastic. The Resort has a beautiful Swimming pool and is Green. Enjoyed the beach .
Food was good but expensive.
Service was very good especially the customer support person.

Room Tip: Try the Beach facing rooms, has a good view. Also try the rooms on the higher floors so that you can...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear CyrilGubbi,

It is great to know that your stay with us was good and you found our Resort to be GOOD and my team and I really appreciate your feedback which will go along way in encouraging us to serve our guests better. Your comments on Fantastic Hotel / Rooms, Good beach to be enjoyed, Good food & Very Good service are well appreciated. We have also noted your comment on food being expensive which will be put into consideration.

General Manager.

Been to Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!