“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel

You added The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel
5.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Diani Beach Road, Diani Beach, Ukunda 80401, Kenya   |
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Diani Beach
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This is one of the best places I have ever stayed, and I am an experienced traveler, both for business and pleasure. We had the pleasure to stay four nights in this wonderful property. The place is fantastic! It is small enough to almost feel like you are staying in someone's Villa (which is the case, sort of), and still big enough to give you complete privacy and tranquility. The house and the area around it is quite big, so it's easy to find you own part of the garden, a lounge sofa, an outside bed under a palm tree, or an area close to the big pool. It does not feel like a hotel, hard to describe. It’s like being invited to a private residence, but without all the hassle. The pool is fantastic, extremely clean and refreshing and flows around almost the whole house, even inside the house! And thankfully this place has no screaming children! The noises you hear are from birds or possibly monkeys.
We had full board, and the food is absolutely excellent. The a la carte menu allows you all kinds of choices and they also have a "today's" special which was excellent the times we tried it. The staff is something else! All the people we met were friendly up to the point where you got to feel like buddies, while still allowing you plenty of privacy on your own. They came around with free ice cream or fruits! Afternoon tea was included. Drink prices are very reasonable. All VERY VERY good.
I want to especially thank Mr Stefan, who greeted us when we arrived to enquire about vacancies. He did everything right! Mrs Zipporah (Zippo) made us feel like home every day, and I can't praise her enough. Alfa served us the suppers, always with a smile, while also telling us about life in Kenya. And Amos, the security guard in the gate, probably has the biggest and most handsome smile in the whole of Eastern Africa!
I cannot really think of any negative comments, not even suggestions for improvement. Sorry.
We give our absolute highest recommendations to the Maji, and hope to be back!

Room Tip: We had the deluxe sea-view room with a Jacuzzi, and it was wonderful! It has a separate entrance wit...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
travelfan1103, General Manager at The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Sunny greeting to Oslo! I am very pleased to hear you had a fantastic time at The Maji. Too bad I had to leave for Nairobi to attend the Wedding Expo but I knew you are in very good hands with Zipporah and the rest of the team. We are picking fresh coconuts from our Palm Trees at the moment which I am sure you would have also enjoyed very much between breakfast and lunch whilst swinging on the huge Beach Beds. We all hope to see you again and Zipporah feels like the new "internet superstar" since you uploaded her picture! She is very happy! All the best! St.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Arusha Region, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed at 2 other places in Diani, and cant recommend The Maji highly enough. Thank you so much to all at this beautiful beach spot for a magical 3 nights! The rooms were wonderful,homely and so comfortable, the loungers on the beach front idyllic. The food was so delicious, there is really no reason to leave and eat else where. The staff here are relaxed and friendly and the service discreet. We would have loved to have stayed longer! A very special thanks to Zipporch for your warmth and hospitality.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review and to share your opinion with other travellers. I am happy to learn that you had a great time at The Maji! Many regards from Zipporah and the rest of the team, we hope to see you soon again! St.
kampala, uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I cant rave about this place enough. We spent 5 nights and it was great. The staff make you feel like family. Every morning i came for breakfast and they welcomed us warmly. The gave us enough space but made sure we were okay.
There are limited rooms here i think about 12 which means they can give that extra touch. Meals are whenever you want. You pick the time and the table anywhere at the place. The seafood dishes are good and the meat are okay but you are on the beach so take advantage of the seafood
The rooms are 5 star. The beds are so comfortable and the aircon so powerful we sometimes needed to turn it off. Our bathroom had a bath and shower with homemade soaps, shampoos and body wash all of which smelt amazing.
Overall I cant complain about anything here. I would go again for sure.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review on tripadvisor! We really appreciate that you took the time and are happy that you had a great holiday at The Maji! We all hope to see you soon again. Sunny regards, St.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

It was a great place. Beautiful beach, nice beds, nice service & hospitality. A good place to run away. My only issue was the timing of the food. However the food was good but not on good timing. kindly work on that. However, beautiful place.. Will visit you soon again.

Room Tip: Get the room with a view by the ocean balcony. Room 13.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
travelfan1103, General Manager at The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time for a review. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay. In reference to the timing of the food we are giving our guests the freedom to chose their own timing for any meal served as we do not want to dictate any hours for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We certainly will consider any preference as well as set meal times if this is desired. We are looking forward to welcome you back at The Maji very soon! Sunny regards, St.
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

After month of hard work on new projects I was literally exhausted, looking for a place to hide away.
Life and profession gifted me some very exclusive destination like Aman or Four Season Resorts, so I demanded something ambitious and unique. My online research brought me to a small Boutique Style Hotel, called –The Maji- at one of Africa’s most beautiful beaches, Diani in the south-east of Kenia.
Arriving in the middle of the night, there was a welcoming manager on duty, offered me a drink and guided me to a spacious room, not over decorated, but well equipped with all the necessities you need for a pleasant stay. A room with a view, facing a tropic garden leading to the white sandy beach and the Indian Ocean.
On the first instant The Maji reminds on an Italian Villa, but build of lime stone with dark wooden roofs. On the second, the influence of African Art and style becomes obvious. A place wanted to be explored, with lots of very individual spots inviting you for a closer look. The choice of material and color is skilled, the whole concept a genius fusion of Africa’s best, Italy’s grandezza and the fancy way of Spanish design. The pool, reminding of Gaudi’s mosaic objects, is circling almost the whole building, well tempered and 100% clean.
What strikes most, are the very attentive people working at that venue, always ready to read your wishes straight from your eyes. And, opposite to some Asian destinations, you can believe it is honest hospitality. Of course not everything is perfect, but as we know too much perfectionism becomes boring by the time. Everybody is paying his contribution to a warm and feeling at home place with a smile on his face, giving you the feeling to be part of the family. So if you need a soul detox from your stressful daily business, there is no place you rather want to be.
The menu offers loads of varieties starting with the European Cuisine, scratching the spicy Indian pots and ending with typical Swahili food. What is very pleasant and unusual at the same time; if you have booked a half-board package, you can choose from the complete list, except the lobster of course. The portions are generous and absolutely tasty.
So in total, a magic place, hard to say goodbye to, and definitively a place, worth to visit a second time and more often. If my person is concerned, I certainly will do.

Room Tip: Room No 13 with big terrace facing the tropical garden and the ocean
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
travelfan1103, General Manager at The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Michael, thank you very much for your review. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our hotel and the hospitality we are providing. I am sure that you will be even more impressed during your next stay as we are constantly working on refinement and improvement of the already existing structures and systems. The beauty of a small hotel is that new ideas and creativity can be honored and implemented within a short period of time. Many sunny regards, St.
All over Europe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed here over a 3 day long weekend and decided to try a new place on the coast. The Maji is a very unique property with what can best be described as a 'swimming pool moat' that surrounds the building, lovely chairs and day beds overlooking the beach, and nicely appointed rooms with air conditioning, generously sized beds, mini-bar, free wifi and the all the touches that one would expect with a hotel titling itself as 'boutique.' On the visual impression, certainly a high rating. But then get below the surface and you realize that this is yet another overpriced, under-serviced addition to the Diani hotel scene. Where shall I start? Perhaps the reservation. Booked online, told shortly thereafter that the room booked was not available, then given a more expensive room, then went back and forth hammering out the resident rates, only to be sent the wrong quote and then having to correct it. Also was asked for credit card details (provided) and then a scan of the front and back of the credit card (great for fraud, not for much else) and then told eventually that the C/C scan was not needed. All told, 11 emails and three phone calls. Boutique service? I think not. Then comes the actual service. I do appreciate the fact that the staff are making a good effort, but at the price for the property I do not expect effort, I expect it to work. Example: woke up for a moring swim, asked for coffee at 0800. Coffee did not arrive, asked again at 0815, 0830, 0845, and then finally had to speak to the manager at 0900 to get the coffee. I was asking for coffee, not the creation of a unicorn. For a boutique hotel, this should have been simple. Next day, ask for eggs for breakfast - when the eggs appear they are not just over-easy, they are raw. Next evening for dinner, ask for grilled fish and get raw fish burned on the outside. Rather disgusting. Ask for a 2 gin and tonics and got one and an empty second glass (perhaps we were meant to share?).Further you often end up with 4 different people serving you in an uncoordinated manner, and all asking you the same questions as they don't speak with each other. The service is so uneven and the food quality so low that it is laughable to call this a boutique hotel. Unfortunately for me, I do not find it funny when they charge 550+ USD per nite. Save your money, save your time, and save your weekend by staying away!

Room Tip: Aim to get a sea view room, not all of them have one.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
travelfan1103, General Manager at The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you most sincerely for your comments concisely describing and complimenting the unique features of The Maji, but at the same time outlining certain operational shortcomings.
We are sorry for the inexcusable long wait for you to get a cup of coffe one morning and we are also sorry that fish and eggs that you have ordered, where not cooked to your taste. We have noted your comments about our staff deportment, we will attempt to curb their over enthusiasm in trying to please the guest.

We regret that you had to be disturbed by numerous communications that was required in order to satisfy your booking request.

The Maji is still a very young hotel and your appreciated remarks have made us realise, that we have still room for improvement and that we should not solely rely on the positive verbal and written comments received from all our guests, who have patronised us since our recent opening and have expressed in superlative terms their satisfaction with every aspect of The Maji hospitality.
Not withstanding the aforesaid, having noted that you are a frequent traveler and a Senior Contributor, we sincerely hope to have sometime in the future a repeat visit of yours, when we trust that you may be able to experience The Maji at it's very best so as to become another one of the very many satisfied clients that have enjoyed our Hotel.

Many regards, St.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

It's been my experience in the past that places tend not to live up to the pictures that grace their glossy brochures and online listings. In many instances, they've been airbrushed to within an inch of their lives, creating a type of hyper-reality that can rarely be imitated in real life.

So when I booked my stay at The Maji, I was a little cynical. "It can't possibly be as glorious as the pictures", I thought. And it turns out I was right - it was far FAR more spectacular in person. The Maji is the type of place postcards were made for, every inch of the property bathed in a photogenic glow - from the scenic beachfront, dotted with comfy loungers to the moat-like pool, which snakes its way in and out of the hotel like an azure serpent.

And while The Maji's scenic value alone is enough to catapult it to the top of any traveller's bucket list, it's the hotel's people that really make the experience. Everywhere you look, there's a friendly smile, a helpful glance - the staff at The Maji are hell-bent on making sure you have the holiday of a lifetime.

Meals are served where and when you want them, and are elaborate affairs that always come complete with interesting touches - a complimentary plate of freshly fried potato skins, an unexpected, delicate bruschetta. If you return from The Maji without a few extra kilos on you, you're doing it wrong.

All in all, I can't recommend this beautiful, warm and utterly delightful spot highly enough. I'd return in a heartbeat (and hopefully will do soon)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
travelfan1103, General Manager at The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Robert, a big thank you to you for your amazing review! I am extremely happy that you had a fantastic time with us. We also hope to see you again very very soon and then for a couple of days longer. Greetings to Cape Town! St.

Been to The Maji Beach Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!