My husband and I have stayed in this hotel in February, 2011. We chose almost cheapest possible hotel, as we have spent most of our time on safari anyway. We have only spent 0,5 day in the hotel before the safari and 2,5 days after the safari.
- our plane was late, so we arrived at the hotel at 13.00 (instead of 11), but staff even did not offer us to go quickly to restaurant to have a lunch. (after 12 hours in the plane and the last meal on board at 8.30 in the morning!)
- I found staff to be weird as they were laughing at my face. Once I had to ask them what is so funny, so after they started to behave kindly.
- I could complement the hotel guards who kept us in peace from the beach boys.
Hotel and service:
- hotel is very poor and used. Hotel staff told us that the hotel should be renovated in April. But I see the reviews from people who stayed there in April, so probably this was just a trick to be tipped for their future "unemployment period".
- Bathroom was huge, but water running from the tap was really weak.
- Air conditioner did not really cool the air. (it was always +29 in our room).
- the location and in particular the gardens are extremely beautiful.
- after we came back from the safari, I felt like I want to go home rather than stay in Kenya in this hotel, because I did not like it, the food was so so, wine and beer were disgusting, although fruit juices were wonderful. The other problem with drinks - when served in the beach, glasses were not something you would expect, but really dirty and used.
- I was not impressed with service in the restaurant (for drinks). We were often ignored. Once we tipped the guy, but even then he did not came back after we finished our glasses! (to compare, in Egypt, if you tip a guy he will make sure your glass is never empty. Actually we had impression that in Kenya people care about you until you tip them and as soon as you do, they forget who you are).
- Chaise-longues were almost broken and absolutely used, same for the beach towels...
Next time I would choose a hotel with private beach.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jovago.com and Odigeo so you can book your Papillon Lagoon Reef reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Papillon Lagoon Reef Diani
- Papillon Lagoon Reef Hotel Diani