“BASIC BUT GOOD!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Diani Sea Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Diani Beach
Diani Sea Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Diani Beach Road | Ukunda, Diani Beach, Ukunda 80400, Kenya   |
Ranked #14 of 30 hotels in Diani Beach
BRISTOL
“BASIC BUT GOOD!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Arrived at the diani sea lodge for a 2 week holiday on the 9th march 2013! with my partner! 1st inpression was good! check in at the hotel was good & quick! room was very basic but also very clean. the hotel itself is a bit tired looking and can do with a good referb! the pictures on the internet are a bit flattering to be honest. the food & staff are great cant do enough for you REAL NICE PEOPLE!! also the management are great to. trish my partner was ill at one stage and they went out of there way to make sure she got better as did our first choice rep stacey! who must have been born to do that job cos was tops at it! unfortunately there was no tea or coffee facilities in our room which was a pain as due to our jobs both me & my partner are early risers and had to wait until 7.30am . the beach is very nice but the beach boys can be a serious pain! but the hotel security do a top job! i took my safari with jt safaris (jtsafaris@yahoo.com) the service we got was out of this world!! we did tsavo east & west and stayed at the ashnil aruba lodge & kilaguni serena lodge which was both amazing!! we paid 666 usd each for our own private jeep & driver! which may seem a bit pricey!! but worth every penny . the airport in leaving kenya was a complete shambles!! air con not good! & by the time we went tho all the security checks! didnt have enough time for even a coffee before the long 9 hr fleight! all in all a very good holiday!! glad we done it & would do it again 1day!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

338 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have just returned home yesterday and I have cried buckets, if I could have stayed forever I would have. This holiday was not just about the Hotel, although it was excellent and the staff could not do enough, despite being a poor country the people are so genuinely happy, smiling and realy friendly, they are amazing. I f you go to this hotel please say hello to Jacqueline (trainee), Jumo (trainee waiter) Jumo Mbwana (temporary fill in waiter), Ali (sun beds) for me. If you want to experience the real Kenya and embrace the fact this is a developing country with no English bars and fish and chips then you will love it!
Very hot weather, be prepared to spend the holiday sweating! so hair straightners and makeup a bit of a waste of time. The beach boys add to the atmosphere although people do find them tiresome at times, but if you respect them and are polite but firm they respect you back, eventually lol Remember this is a poor country, but the people are truly amazing. Please go and see for yourself

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a room with sea view it is worth it for the sea breeze as well as the view fro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Our room in Diani Sea Lodge was rather basic, but we didn't plan to stay there except to sleep. Cleaning was good. Beds were fine, AC working, nice surrounding (garden is very nice). The beach was excellent, although beach boys can be tiring. Hotel animators did marvelous job! Every day they offered different attractions. Safari trip is a must so next time I would rather book shorter hotel stay and longer safari - we took 2 days at Masai Mara and some shorter trips. The food was very good and I ate tons of mango.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Took a few days to get used to African life and people but then had an amazing time.

We couldn’t fault the hotel and staff- our room was always spotless and the staff were friendly without being pushy and couldn’t do enough for you. Food was good although the first outdoor barbeque night there weren’t enough tables for guests so a bit of confusion while more tables were set up. Also the queue for food was a bit of a pain. Quality of food was excellent and always hot and plentiful. The animation staff were brilliant – I hate joining in things but they were very respectful so I actually did join in various things and enjoyed them. I think we all fell in love with Safari – an absolute darling.

We used JT Safaris (Julius ) for our trips. The hotel reception will call him for you. He arranges for a driver to pick you up to take you to his offices to discuss everything. He was very professional and our driver Ken (John) was great. They really go out of their way to make sure everything is satisfactory . We went on our own which does make it more expensive so if you meet up with others on the way out or early in your visit it is worth trying to get a 4 or 6 some together – also good to have some more “eyes” while you are searching for animals. Do have a day in the Simba Hills if you can, we did that first and had a couple of days rest before doing a 2 day safari to Tsavo east and west. Had originally planned to do a 3 day safari but other people had returned and said how tiring it was so decided to split and have a day in Simba Hills instead. Interestingly it would have been cheaper to pay for our safari in English money rather than US $ or Kenyan Shillings!

The shops at the sister hotel Diani Sea Resort (walk along the beach, have a drink at the bar, then go to the main front gate and there are a dozen or so shops just outside) had a good selection of goods at very reasonable prices. The shop at the main gate of the Diani Sea Lodge was also good and we tried to support them rather than those inside the hotel.

The Kenyan people are beautiful, charming and full of flattery. But beware, they are still after your money. The beach boys can seem pushy but we ignored them totally (which to us seemed very rude) until we had booked our safaris, then actually had some good conversations with them about their lives.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Jambo,I visited Kenya between the 18th and the 25th September 2012,it's took me a while to write a review as it was so amazing I wanted to tell my family and friends about it all before I posted it on here!!!Travelled to Kenya with my 68yr old nan for my 21st birthday and we booked with Thomson who couldn't have done more for us. On arrival at Mombasa airport it was more than what I expected,lovely airport the only thing was we had to queue up for our visa and there was no air condition,by that point I was nearly melting.All the staff at the airport could speak most languages including German,Italian and French and were very friendly,you can change your sterling at the airport to Kenyan shillings with a better rate than what Gatwick airport gave us.As soon as we got out the airport Thomson staff were there to give us a warm welcome and guide us to our bus to take us to our hotel. When we arrived at diani sea lodge the staff were very helpful and efficient and took us to our room,basic room which looked over to the beach,very clean and the air condition worked well,BONUS:-)All the staff at the hotel are very friendly especially daniel and safari the entertainers.Stacey our rep who was Kenyan was lovely,spoke very good English and was really down to earth and made us feel very welcome.THe hotel is right on the beach ,you can just walk onto it,the only thing is your harassed as soon as you step onto the beach.The food was very nice it was a buffet every night but I must say it was very clean I was impressed. We had a jam packed week,we done the 'the bush tour' which was an eye opener ,a lot of poverty in Kenya we don't realise how lucky we are,we got to see children at 'school' under mango trees,very clever children and were so happy even though they had nothing,take pens and sweets with you to give to the children as they have nothing.We also got to see how the locals lived,how they make there food from coconuts and even got to taste the coconut juice.IT is a full day tour so we even had lunch and got to know about all the different tribes.We also done the 3 day simply safari ,one word AMAZING:-)STayed at the salt lick lodges ,food was absolutely amazing and again the staff couldn't have done more for us.ON safari we went to tsavo West and east and got to see loads of animals,we didn't get to see a rhino but saw Kenyas big 4.ON the way to tsavo we went through loads of different villages and that's when you actually see the real poverty.WE also done the wasini island tour and went snorkelling ,that was really good and you also get lunch,I love my food and and that was one of the best,fresh sea food,fresh crab and it was delicious. THe locals drive mad and it was a bit crazy at times,I thought it was highly amusing but nan wasn't amused :-)I wouldn't say it was safe for 2 woman to leave the hotel by themselves as you do get harassed by the locals but we did manage to get on the local bus which is called a matatu ,there local bus is just like a van,they try and fit as many people possible and health and safety doesn't exist,but that's what made Kenya an amazing experience and I would recommend anyone to go there and would love to get the chance to go back again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Hi I have just returned home from Kenya with my wife and sister and my brother in law this is the second time we have been ,we had so much fun in the hotel the staff always doing what they can to help and make your holiday the best they can.we went on safaris with jt that is Julius numbi safaris he is the best he sorted out everything ,we flew from ukunda air strip and stopped in the kitchwa tembo camp it was brill the driver benson was also great he showed us the big 5 and a lot more the hotel is right on the beach that's the sea lodge not sea resort I will defo go back soon but maybe 3weeks not two thanks to you all this was the best holiday ever

Room Tip: Choose the upgrade to the bharin rooms then you get sea view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Orpington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We travellled to Mombasa's Diani beach and stayed at the Diani Sea lodge for two weeks in July of last year. Not the hottest of month's and it rained almost every morning but cleared up late morning. he sea was so beautiful that we hardly used the hotel pool. Our room was about a couple of 100 metres from the Hotel reception. The journey from the Airport to the hotel is via the Likoni Ferry - on the 4 occassions we used this we found no problems at all, but i understand if there is a problem it can lead to massive delays (just as an incident in one of the tunnels under the Thames in London!). The room has a 4 poster bed and was clean. No distarctions like TV or telephone- just perfect! Slight difficulty in obtaining mobile phone signals in the room. The food was good great salads and eggs cooked to order. There was a TV room in the main hotel for TV addicts. On one ocassion They cooked a special meal for us since we thought thew main meal was not very good - inpessive. The staff could not do more for you. Good entertainment in the evenings, live band, acrobats, in house team show, african traditional dancing. The entaritainment team encouraged veryone to paly beach volleyball, go for walks etc. - loks of day time activities. the had special nights like a swahili night - great swahili food. If you like a relaxing holiday this is where to go. On the last but one day got stung by a stingray. The Hotel doc was excellent.

Room Tip: Our room was just great - in the new block 200 tds from the main hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Diani Sea Lodge? Share your experiences!