I booked a two week stay at Southern Palms with Somak Travel (28 March to 11 April 2006). For what I paid (£579 ex Gatwick)I consider that I got really good value; a quiet, decent sized and twice dailly cleaned room (thanks Philip), excellent vegetarian food(I enjoyed every meal and had no tummy problems), good day time activities from 9.30am to 5.30pm (I feel much fitter for all of the workouts and pool games), traditional music at dinner and an evening entertainment programme each night from 9.30pm.
Though I was half board, I didn't need a lunch as the breakfast was so good, even for a vegie. However, low cost snacks and drinks are available at some shops a short walk away, though the nearest ATM is about 3 miles away (the local and regular minibus is 25Ks (20p) to the Barclay Centre). This has various shops, a small supermarket a bank, two internet cafes (5Ks per min) and tour offices. All offer better prices/rates than at the hotel.
Quite a few good hotels and clubs within the Ukunda area, but aside the beach and a monkey sanctuary, not too much else in Ukunda.
For those like me who need a football fix, the TV lounge shows UK news and sports, movies in English and the lounge is regularly served by waiters.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Palms Beach Hotel Diani
- Southern Palms Beach Hotel
- Southern Palms Beach Diani
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This dramatic hotel with its fantastic pools and beautiful beach is the perfect spot to relax after a safari… or simply visit to relax! The warm and very African feel of the hotel with comfortable rooms, well appointed bathrooms and selection of restaurants offers guests plenty of places to lounge in the sun and almost as many shady spots to enjoy a bit of a breeze and a good book. All rooms have quiet, split unit air conditioners, televisions, mini fridges and coffee and tea making facilities. There is a safe (chargeable) in each room and a business center located in the main building with internet or wifi access in public areas. The drama of the huge, traditional makuti (thatched) roof in the main restaurant offers the Chef a terrific showcase for a varied selection of local and international dishes on the buffet or you could indulge at one of the a la carte restaurants (chargeable) for a special occasion or just a quiet evening for two. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Otel and TripOnline SA so you can book your Southern Palms Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.