Stayed for a week in this beautiful resort.
Staff was very accommodating when arrived and through our stay. We got a room on the ground floor for the first 2 nights before we went on safari. The room seemed very dark and not very clean but been relocated when we came back. Got a lovely clean room on the first floor with a little bit of a sea view. The bathrooms however need an update.The first day, we couldn´t get any hot water however this was soon sorted and we never had a problem again. Make sure your balcony door is properly locked because you do get occational furry visitors - not a big deal though - remember you are in Africa. The room was situated right oposite the pool and evening entertainment but it never was an issue. Unless you have a small child you don´t really go to bed before 11pm while on holidays, do you?
There is a mini bar in the room although you are charged for it even if you are on AI. It´s hard to understand as you get the same stuff if you walk down a few steps and get the same drinks for free at one of the bars. I do understand there are also guests who are on a half board basis, but surely this could be organised better.
There is a safe in every room you also have to pay for. Not much but I think this should be free of charge in a 4* hotel.
The resort has a fantastic location. I loved the beach and miss the long walks already. The beach boys could be a real pain but also a source of an interesting information about Kenya. Don´t be affraid to talk, some of them are better than any tour guide.
Never had a problem with sunlounchers at the beach or pool. There were always plenty available any time during the day. The pools and all the public areas were always very clean. The food was fantastic. I´ve visited many resorts like this were the food in a buffet was rather tasteless. Kenyans however know how to cook. Plenty of choice and everything really tasty and you will always find something different. Try the naan bread, they make it better than in any Indian. Tried the pizza at the snack bar which was very good too. I can´t comment on the other restaurants as there was no need to visit them.
Animation team was great, you will never be bored.
For the UK tourists - don´t need any socket adaptor they are the same as in UK. No problem in exchanging the currancy at the hotel, you´ll need KES and USD, you are able to exchange GBP and Euros. For those online dependent there is a free wifi available at the reception and lobby.
Finally the staff - they all are very hardworking, polite, fun and made you feel most welcome. My special thanks goes to Alex, who kept our room always clean and tidy, at the restaurant - Sydney, Stella and Hussein, you all did a great job.
Overall I am more than happy to recommend this place and would stay myself again with no hesitation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This dramatic hotel with its fantastic pools and beautiful beach is the perfect spot to relax after a safari… or simply visit to relax! The warm and very African feel of the hotel with comfortable rooms, well appointed bathrooms and selection of restaurants offers guests plenty of places to lounge in the sun and almost as many shady spots to enjoy a bit of a breeze and a good book. All rooms have quiet, split unit air conditioners, televisions, mini fridges and coffee and tea making facilities. There is a safe (chargeable) in each room and a business center located in the main building with internet or wifi access in public areas. The drama of the huge, traditional makuti (thatched) roof in the main restaurant offers the Chef a terrific showcase for a varied selection of local and international dishes on the buffet or you could indulge at one of the a la carte restaurants (chargeable) for a special occasion or just a quiet evening for two. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Southern Palms Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Palms Beach Hotel Diani
- Southern Palms Beach Diani