Well laid out, only half full when we were there so plenty of space. The grounds are well kept and attractive the hotel is not huge so it does not take long to get to your room/meal/sun bed. Music stops at 11pm prompt so no rooms are better than the others as far as noise is concerned.
At first I was disappointed, it was not awful just that I have had better (and much worse) By week two I had the following view. The grill restaurant is fantastic and although you need to book, it is in the AI package. Italian is OK but they managed remove all the taste from my chicken.
Main restaurant, Most of the meat was overcooked some of it I gave up chewing, The stir frys and grilled meats where better but the beef was always tough. Other selections such as pasta, Indian the veggies ETC were always good and all will always eat well.
Breakfast was good, but I would have liked a bit of variety in the serial.
At all times the tea was awful take your own tea bags!
The fruit man makes fantastic fruit carvings but the variety of fruit was limited. Be aware the oranges are green but taste good.
The highlight was the cakes, they have employed a pastry chef from Cairo, who surprisingly given his job is the thinnest person in the hotel.
To my knowledge no one got ill from the hotel. Some who ate out did.
Beer drinkers—good news, No beer on tap, all in 500ml bottles, all lager of course but apart from the 3 flat ones I had and one that was filled with water ( no doubt a thirsty security guard at the factory) It was good, my drinking buddy who I met there ‘J’ thought the same. The cocktails were okay with about 6 included on the AI menu and Mrs W and J’s girlfriend ‘N’ stuck to them and the acceptable AI wine.
It looked good but was spoilt by the beach boys. The sea was rough so we did not really use it.
Hotel take note! Every two beds should have one umbrella, not one between 10.
If you did not bag an umbrella early, then you had to sit under the trees to get any shade. Also the umbrellas are thin and you will tan through them at a guess they are SPF 10.
The pool staff are a credit to the hotel, Ali and Hussan worked like bees to keep everyone happy and nothing was too much trouble, both mature men they looked after my wife when I was not there and were meticulous about the chemical levels in the pool and the cleanliness. This was important to me as I use the pool and have seen some poor maintance in other counties including Europe.
OK standard , some of the weights were older than me but safe and in a good variety. Two running machines, I found the right one slipped and pointed it out to Rashid who was going to look at it. Two bikes, both about two years old one worked well the other I did not use as the pedal straps had gone. One stepper which worked.
See my review of JT, one couple got a safari of the beach vendor but mine was better value. JT was better than Thompsons. Food in the lodges is better than the hotel. Salt Lick is a must.
Clean, but in need of some attention. For instance our bathroom bin did not work and looked about 10 years old. The tap and shower head had green lime scale, who knows when they were last removed and cleaned. Beds, clean and comfy.
Mostly excellent, some tried to sell us things for which they could be sacked and I did not bother with them again. Obviously those who spoke English the best where able to become better friends with us. Taking into account that you do not mix with all the staff the same amount and I can not recall all their names.
Thanks to Ali and Hussan at the pool. Paul (who was not there when I left to say goodbye to) and the pool bar staff. Frank the best waiter and great fun. Anne the clerk from the main bar who helped my wife when she had a problem with no fuss, Robert and Julius from the grill who gave us two great nights.
Be nice to the security guards they do 12 hour shifts it must be boring.
The staff sketch show is good enough for TV and the sunbed sketch says everything you need to know better than I can. Bingo was fantastic keep the unreadable Chinese balls it was comedy gold
Well done team
Note to hotel
We are AI we should not need to sign for everything especially having to write 4 things on the form. Other hotels do without it and neither should you. Trust your staff to just note it down on a log for stock purposes.
Also the mini bar items that are covered by AI should not be an extra cost
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This dramatic hotel with its fantastic pools and beautiful beach is the perfect spot to relax after a safari… or simply visit to relax! The warm and very African feel of the hotel with comfortable rooms, well appointed bathrooms and selection of restaurants offers guests plenty of places to lounge in the sun and almost as many shady spots to enjoy a bit of a breeze and a good book. All rooms have quiet, split unit air conditioners, televisions, mini fridges and coffee and tea making facilities. There is a safe (chargeable) in each room and a business center located in the main building with internet or wifi access in public areas. The drama of the huge, traditional makuti (thatched) roof in the main restaurant offers the Chef a terrific showcase for a varied selection of local and international dishes on the buffet or you could indulge at one of the a la carte restaurants (chargeable) for a special occasion or just a quiet evening for two. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Southern Palms Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Palms Beach Hotel Diani
- Southern Palms Beach Diani