“Second time at Swahili Beach - without regrets !” 5 of 5 stars

Swahili Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Ukunda, Diani Beach, Ukunda 80401, Kenya   |
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Diani Beach
Bruxelles
“Second time at Swahili Beach - without regrets !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just recently returned from a 2-weeks stay at this great hotel (room #17 – 11.03.2013-25.03.2012). This was our second time at the Swahili Beach resort (last time, March 2012), and once again, we had an excellent time.
The feeling of coming home hit us already at the entrance, upon arrival. Neville, one of the "askaris" (security guards) and Hussein, one of the luggage porters, recognised us and welcomed us with a large smile and hugs. Waouw !
Check-in, as per last time was swift and effective, and we were taken to our room. While we had had room #10 last year, I had requested a room on the upper floor with sea view, which was kindly allocated to us by Michael, the reservation manager. This room, as all others was very nice, huge, stylishly furnished and arranged. Last year, I missed flowers upon check-in, this year; these were kindly put into the room, which made it even more welcoming! However, even though mentioned in last year's review ,a few tiny things were still missing (for details, cf http://www.tripadvisor.fr/ShowUserReviews-g775870-d2452982-r127252159-Swahili_Beach_Resort-Diani_Beach_Coast_Province.html), …
The gardens, and the infinity pools, that seduced me on the brochures already last year, were still as beautiful as we remembered. Food, as last year, was delicious, wherever you were eating at. Last year, I had mentioned that it was a pity that the delicious desserts were not chilled enough. It took me a single discussion with Niwas, the restaurant manager, to improve the situation. From one day to the other, he took on board one of my ideas (put big ice blocks beneath the dessert platters and put down the "roof" of the dessert station) and desserts were better chilled the following days. Highly appreciated!
The spa wasn't open last year but was fully operational this year. The setting is stunning and so relaxing. We had a massage and it felt so good that you could actually fall asleep while professional and trained hands run over your body. The money you pay for is largely worth it.
Again, staff, its kindness, its commitment to help, serve and please you is making a big difference compared to other hotels. I can't share other reviewers' comments about the staff being "awful, untrained, inefficient "etc… Maybe it's also a matter of addressing them…As far as we were concerned, we had had no problems whatsoever, and all our requests were dealt with swiftly and with a smile (even personal requests, such as arranging a specify Kenyan plant for my mother was kindly dealt with by one of the main gate askaris!). As a repeat guest, and staying for 2-weeks again, restaurant staff knew our preferences, and our table was reserved for us every morning and evening; at the pool bar, Arafa and Hasanil, knowing how much I loved mangoes, made sure that the 10 AM fruit spikes had mango pieces for me etc…
We will certainly be back next year, and I do hope that Mr Kelly and his crew will ensure that the current standards will be kept up with. In the meantime, I would like to thank Michael, Amani, Julius, Abubakar, Hussein (reception/guest relations/porters), Arafa, Hasanil, Tsama, Fridah (pool&beach bar), Niwas, Moses, Esther, Anisa, Khader, Stephen, Faith (restaurant), not to forget the askaris, Dominic, Peter, Pilatis, John, Neville, Jonathon, Musa, and with a special tribute to Ricky, the kahawa man, who sadly passed away a week before we arrived (R.I.P my friend).
Asante sana na tutaonana mwaka ujao :-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Glasgow UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Just returned from a week long stay at Swahili Beach at the end of March. This is the second time our family has stayed here (the last time being March 2012). The fabric of this hotel simply can't be faulted - the setting is perfect, the buildings are beautiful, the food is fabulous, the spa is sensational, and the rooms are spotlessly clean and the most upmarket and comfortable I've seen in the Diani area (having stayed at two other Diaini hotels previously). This is as close as you will get to a genuine 5 star hotel in Mombasa. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world so I know what to expect, and as I said the fabric and styling of this hotel does not disappoint. The swimming pools are world class, the established gardens are beautiful, and the general vibe is classy, civilised and stylish. However, there is still room for improvement and if this improvment can be made then Swahili Beach can certainly compete with the world's best resort hotels.

The spa is in the perfect setting, perched on the edge of the Indian Ocean with large, open windows and white curtains moving gently in the breeze. They use Anne Semonin products which are brilliant, and the therapists are well trained and thorough. I had two massages and a facial, and all three treatments are of the high standard I have experienced at other top spas, including Gleneagles and Marbella Club. What is lacking here is promotion of the fact that there is a spa and that treatments are available.

The food is the best I have had in Diani, and the restaurant team are hard working and knowledgeable. The lunchtime pizzas, grilled lobster, salads, burgers and calamari are of a high standard and very tasty, but service here could be much swifter and there needs to be more attention to detail such as supplying cutlery and condiments every time to every table. At night the food is faultless and a healthy, tasty mix of European, African and Indian cuisine. It's just a shame there is such focus on the main restaurant - again what is lacking is promotion and initiative around getting people into the other two restaurants which are beautifully set out and deserve to be shouted about. The same applies to the beach bar which is a lovely place to have a drink at the end of the night, but there's not enough promotion for it so people don't use it which is such a shame. Breakfast is delicious every day without fail, and the service is good at this time too.

In terms of entertainment, a lot of reviews complain about the lack of it at Swahili Beach, although nightly entertainment such as karaoke or whatever is something I would expect at a lower star establishment, and few other 5 star hotels would put this on. There is live music though which is enough for during a meal. Perhaps once or twice a week there could be some more organised entertainment in the bar areas or more music. During the day there is more effort to have activities than there was last year with an 'animations team' who try hard but realistically with few children staying at Swahili Beach this isn't something that has a high uptake. It's nice to have the effort there but perhaps it could be more focused on adult activities such as a beach walk or aqua aerobics or yoga, and you would need good, qualified people to run these.

The rooms are comfortable, clean, and well appointed. The showers were fine for me although some mention the varying temperature I didn't really mind this. We were shown round one of the suites which was very nice and definitely of a high standard. The TV has improved on last year with more English speaking channels. The rooms are turned down beautifully every night.

The beach area has had a lot of work done to it to make it more accessible, and it is kept pristine and cleared of seaweed and raked every morning which is a lovely touch as getting to swim in the warm Indian Ocean is a must.

There is good security and the porters and doormen are very good, always available and helpful.

Overall I like this hotel. I would not stay anywhere else in Diani now, and it really feels like such a special place when you are there. I know the 5 star standard well from my other stays in hotels around the world, and while this hotel isn't quite there (4.5 stars) you have to remember this is Africa, and what they are doing is not for the lack of will or effort - it's a learning curve to meet the high standards travellers demand.

There needs to be some additional attention to areas such as service which is hit and miss, and there needs to be more attention to detail (ipod docks in the room for instance) and more initiative around promoting the amenities and what the hotel has to offer. But if you are planning a holiday in Mombasa this hotel is head and shoulders above the other offerings and it's the only place to stay if you are looking for European standards in rooms, setting, food and safety.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SwahiliBeach, General Manager at Swahili Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
What a detailed and positive review with some excellent observations. Thank you.

Our concentration has been on the service aspect and whilst good progress has been made we still have lots to do. Nevertheless, we have completed the content for a new Guest Services Directory and will soon (I hope) find the right folder for it. The Indian/Swahili fusion restaurant - The Spice Route - will be promoted as will the new Anne Semonin treatments at the spa.

We are keen to earn the missing half star which we hope will be awarded following your visit next year! We look forward to seeing you then.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

While the setting is stunning, the service and food are really a big let down. My wife and I booked for 8 days but moved out after 2. A pity because our first impressions were good and the view was lovely. Then a comedy of errors all coming down to badly trained staff and an unwillingness to address our issues. Internet access a joke, Buffet food really poor. Guests treated as a problem. Getting a drink by the pool really difficult...go elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SwahiliBeach, General Manager at Swahili Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
We are a little stumped with this one!

In looking through our system for February we cannot find an eight night booking leaving after only two nights. We are certainly not being asked to make any kind of refund. We have looked at all the two night stays in February and cross referenced these against guest comments held by Guest Relations and drawn another blank.

Our research leaves us with the view this is a spurious review and we would like to hear more from Alex C so we can look into the service allegations made and respond more appropriately as well as take the necessary remedial action.

Please e-mail your dates in February to gm@swahilibeach.com.

Many thanks,

Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to this beautiful property, however things have drastically changed since the last 8 months. We were very excited to go back to Swahili Beach resort and even booked it for 10 days, however the service level has down like how. First of all, even if you book the superior deluxe room, you would still not get the basic things like a body lotion, sewing kit, vanity kit or even the dental or shaving kit, which you get by default in all the other hotels across Kenya. There were no bathroom slippers provided in the room. When we asked for the same, we were told that only those who book the suit, get all these extras.
Since I had gone there for 10 days, I was expecting to work from the resort itself but the so called free WIFI was awful. Not even one day it worked properly. Except FOOD, which was FANTASTIC, everything else has gone down. Even the waiters at the Baharini restaurant were not very polite.
I have always maintained that the place is really superb but the service levels need to go really high, if they want to go for a long run.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SwahiliBeach, General Manager at Swahili Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I sometimes worry about the motive behind a TripAdvisor review when hotel management is available around the clock to deal with guest issues as they arise. It seems the policy, these days, is to stay quiet and then try and discredit a facility from the comfort of home. In this particular case, the reviewer mentioned dental and shaving kits to the front office manager when the front office manager called around ten minutes or so after check in to see if all was well. The reviewer was told we do not supply these items.

As far as the other requirements there is no record of them being raised. We maintain a comprehensive log, with Guest Relations, of all guest comments, requirements and room maintenance requests. As a repeat guest he is aware of the amenities provided. In room 9, the one the reviewer and his family occupied, there is shampoo, conditioner and body lotion provided in the round glass jars adjacent to the rain shower.

The free WiFi is provided by a Diani Beach based ISP. As with all networks, just look at the Diani Beach service provided by the two major mobile telephone providers, the signal comes and goes. During the reviewer’s stay there was a period of two days where the network was slow, an issue we took up with the ISP.

If the reviewer would like to elaborate on any other issues he is welcome to e-mail gm@swahilibeach.com.

We have been judged harshly and unfairly on the complimentary issues, not the actual service standards and overall experience.

The Swahili Beach Team.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

When you walk into Swahili Beach, you are wowed, but not with the service. The pools are amazing!!!!! There's nothing like it. The rooms are beautiful, clean and I absolutely loved the bathroom design. The light system in the room/bathroom cold have been a bit simplified :( It shouldn't take you minutes to figure out how to turn on a light.
Room did not have a room service menu or contact extensions on how to get to room service. I dialed the universal "0" and was rudely informed to dial a different extension. No kidding, we started our room service quest at 3:00pm and did not get through or responded to until around 5:20pm. At this point we had given up and decided to go eat downstairs at the restaurant. As we walked into the restaurant, we were greeted at by two employees at the hostess stand. We asked if we should seat ourselves and they said yes. We found a nice table on the outside terrace and sat down. 20 minutes later, nothing, no one. Finally we called on to a waiter who plainly stated that the restaurant was not open until 7:00pm. "Oh!" What else can you really say? Why didn't they tell us that when we walked in?
Swahili Beach seriously needs to step up their service game by a million notches. The friendliest staff, the only friendly staff that I encountered, were the ladies from the gift shops. These women have a gift in helping you spend money there. Very attentive and very willing to assist.

Room Tip: I would have loved to go check out the spa, but was so afraid of what the service would be. Maybe so...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
TwigaNairobi, General Manager at Swahili Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. Clearly the issues highlighted raises a few concerns which need to be attended to as there appears to be a breach of our operating procedures relating to welcoming guests to their rooms.

I had a look at our guest comments log for February, maintained by Guest Relations, where all comments, good and bad, are recorded for follow up and remedial attention where required. Unfortunately, I could not find any reference to the comments raised regarding Room Service and The Majlis Restaurant.

All guests upon check in are escorted to their rooms by Guest Relations or Reception personnel who also provide a briefing as well as demonstrate light, air-conditioning and television controls. They are also encouraged to point out the Kenya Conciege magazine in the rooms which has a number of pages dedicated as a Hotel Directory; an inherited media which is being replaced with a more traditional information guide.

Each room is provided with a comprehensive welcome letter in which hotel information, including extensions, restaurants and their timings, evening restaurant dress codes, bars as well as conservation information relating to the primate visitors.

If we failed then we have developed a deficiency which needs to be corrected. I will be happy to receive further details - gm@swahilibeach.com.

The rest of your stay seems to have passed without further incident.

Best regards,

The Swahili Beach Team.
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I chose this hotel based on the reviews from Trip Advisor and the images from both their website and other review sources.

Prior to arriving, my wife and I opted for the half board stay. This entitled us to a buffet breakfast every morning and a buffet dinner in the main restaurant. My understanding of the pricing, full board would be an extra £80 a day for 2 people. Both options do not include drinks, including water. The most expensive item on the lunch menu is the lobster, which works out at about £20 and includes salad and potatoes/fries. The portions are generous and I can't understand why anyone would opt for the full board option.

Having been told by our agent that drinks were not expected to be pricey, we were surprised to find that the cheapest bottle of wine was £20. Local beer, Tusker, is £2 a bottle. Each room is supplied with 1 litre bottle of water per day.

The food in the main buffet restaurant is pretty good and has an Indian theme. This is to tempt guests into the 'Spice' restaurant. My partner and I weren't going to try this eatery until a couple from the beach told us we must try it. The resort is owned by an Indian family, hence the style of décor and themed restaurants. The Indian food from the Spice restaurant was superb. All freshly prepared and excellent indian cuisine. We were very impressed. If staying at the resort, they deduct £8 from each guest's bill so that makes it fairly cost effective to try the other restaurants. This is also the case at the Italian restaurant and the beach restaurant.

The drinks menu is varied but in our opinion, over priced. We tasted a few cocktails on the first evening but weren't overly impressed. The wine is good but again very over priced with the cheapest bottle at about £25. They offer a wide range of spirits but are not overly generous with their measurements. I was also a little suspicious about the content of 'alcohol' considering the quantity we drank and the lack of hangovers.

The rooms are clean, spacious and everything is supplied to make your stay extremely comfortable.

The gym is supplied with all the equipment required for a good workout. This is located within the spa area which is well worth a visit. We never experienced a treatment but the setting itself is well designed and extremely relaxing.

The swimming pools are clean and spacious. Towels are readily available from the beach area. The beach is also lovely, however, each morning, seaweed covers the beach and the locals are paid to remove it throughout the morning. The sun bed area on the beach was formally an area of rock, however, it appears that Swahili imported large rocks and sand to give it the 'white sanded beach' look. This area provides tree top shade and you won't be hassled by beach boys as there is 24 hour security. The beach is also a mix of sand and rock. I'd recommend a pair of crocs to swim with as there are plenty of sea urchins but this also means you can venture further and spot the marine life.

f you want a trip out of the resort, my wife and I walked 6km south and went to 'Colobus Shade' restaurant for lunch (also on trip advisor). You'll be hassled by beach boys on route along the beach but the exercise, sun, views and food are well worth the journey (taxi for $2 is an option). The restaurant lies next to the fish mongers who supply all the local hotels. The chef pops out the beach shack and grabs the fish direct. A lobster each with sides, a bottle of white wine and a starter will set you back £50.

In the main, Swahili was very comfortable. All inclusive type places are not usually our choice of holiday, however, given the circumstances and options, we weren't disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SwahiliBeach, General Manager at Swahili Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your review and the Swahili Beach team is pleased to see you enjoyed your stay.

We are sorry you think our drinks menu is pricey. We are required to collect 16% VAT and 2% Catering Levy in addition to the service charge. These items add almost 25% to the basic price of beverages.

Kenya has a complex Exise Duty system which may explain why wines and spirits as well as imported beers, are perceived to be expensive. Against this, we have seafood literally delivered to the kitchen door which, as you have observed, is very reasonably priced despite the VAT, Traing Levy and service charge levies.

The spirit tot measure as defined by Weights and Measures is 30ml. We are required to sell in multiples of that measure. Our bar staff are trained not to ask guests whether they want a 'double' on the basis our guests will ask for a 'double' if they want one.

We are aware of your poor Mojito - a rare lapse on our part - which was rectified by our food & beverage manager.

The relaxed and tranquil atmosphere of Swahili Beach does not allow for hangovers!

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,

Dover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We arrived here after two days on safari in Tsavo. The journey was long bumpy and hot but as soon as we arrived we were greeted by lovely friendly staff given cold towels and cold drinks and checked in. We felt welcome from the second we arrived. The receptionist was lovely despite my husbands teasing and we were shown to our rooms.What beautiful rooms and so large. Polished concrete and lovely wood. Very large bed in a beautiful feature setting against the wall. Desk and seat, and more than ample electric points throughout. The bathroom was huge with sunken bath and seperate shower with large rain head, toilet, bidet and twin hand basins. Lovely twin seating area raised and cushioned beside the large opening doors to the balcony which was swathed in bouganvilla. Room had a fridge and kettle with coffee tea etc replenished daily. The gardens gently sloped towards the ocean with a total of 7 beautiful infinity pools. After the large top one the smaller pools were surrounded by bouganvilla, lehua and other tropical flowers. Great for my husband a non swimmer, private, warm and fantastic views over the infinity edge to the ocean. The beach was relatively private with loungers, towels and plenty of shade from palms and umbrella's. The ocean was lovely and warm but not that good for swimming, nice rock pools. The hotel had an Indian feel with domes and arches in that style. The main restaurant was of buffet style with huge choice for everyone. Supplemented with 'live stations' cooking fresh food to order. The food was fresh and of very good quality. The restaurant manager was very friendly and attentive and always willing to help.They even accepted our request for chocolate salami dessert on our last night. Ali cooked a great omelette at breakfast and various dishes by night. The afternoon tea was always very welcoming after a day round the pool. The hotel ran a small but interesting 'animation' department run by Rodgers and his assistant Peter, great fun ending in Boccia at 5. Great staff throughout and sorry can't mention them all by name. This is truly a wonderful 5* hotel in beautiful settings. Sunrise over the ocean and visits from the vervet and collubus monkeys in the boabab tree outside our door made it special. Sadly we were there just 5 days.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Swahili Beach Resort? Share your experiences!