“Amazing Night at Swahili Beach with my family” 5 of 5 stars

Swahili Beach Resort
Ukunda, Diani Beach, Ukunda 80401, Kenya   |
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Diani Beach
Kenya
“Amazing Night at Swahili Beach with my family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I recently had a quick visit to Swahili Beach with my family. From the moment one arrives the beautiful gardens are immediately noticeable. The foyer entrance is stunning with a view down through a series of arch's towards the pool and the ocean. The attention to detail and quality of this new hotel definitely sets new standards on the Kenya coast.
Due to time we only had meals in the main restaurant which was very beautifully laid out making us feel like we were in a small boutique resort instead of a large beach hotel. The food was amazing and the service we had was also very friendly and very good. The children were adequately catered for and baby seat was available when requested.
Overall I would have no hesitation recommending this resort to anyone visiting Diani Beach, we had a great time.

Room Tip: All rooms were good but specifically liked the Executive suites are large, well appointed and really...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
baroda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

thi is a beautiful hotel the moment we stepped in it was wow the excellent vies of the ocean from the lobby our room was sea facing huge room with sep built in beds for kids lovely traditional bathrooms but it lacked all the bathroom amenities a 5 star should have the pool is beautiful the kids dint want to get out the beach is relaxing ,manages mark was very good and asked our opinion and went out o fhis way to see all guesta are having a pleasant stay.
indian restaurant is good the chef made everything to our taste.3 min from ukunda air strip so save on travel time its a new resort so needs little upgrading of services like spa not operational.

Room Tip: beautiful resort for kids and family
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Having stayed at some of the most luxurious hotels in Kenya, our expectations were quite high when we arrived at the Swahili Beach resort. It was a mid pregnancy vacation dedicated to my wife and I wanted to make sure that it remains one of our best experiences. The moment we entered the hotel's reception area, we observed that the place is quite different as compared to most of the other properties in the coast region. We stayed here for 4 nights and 5 days, and realized that the duration was too short to enjoy the place completely. The place is phenomenal. Yes, its a new place and some parts are still being constructed but that doesn't hamper your experience at all. The rooms are LARGE and when I say Large I mean that. The architecture and interiors are minimalistic but very artistic. The bathrooms are lavish with a bath tub as big as a small jacuzzi. Its a concept hotel. The highlight of the hotel is its cascading pool which is by far the biggest I've come across in Kenya. The furniture, upholstery and the fittings are par excellence. Our bathroom had silver bathroom set. The chairs in the spa area (under construction) were silver sheeted. The Spa area is still under construction and one of the hotel rooms are being used as Spa for the time being, however the professionals are quite good at their job. The staff at the beach, Baharini restaurant, the main restaurant are all good and eager to serve. Even the hotel driver who dropped us to the Mombasa airport was so professional that he refused to pick any call while he was driving and followed all the traffic rules (Quite uncommon in Kenya). The hotel gym is fully equipped and the gym instructor Dickson was quite knowledgeable and polite. Over the period of time, this hotel would surely turn out as a key tourism destination in Kenya just like the Atlantis in Dubai.

Room Tip: Try and see if you can get the rooms towards the beach and that too the top ones. Room nos between 1...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We were meant to be staying at Baobab but as our taxi driver drove by we became curious and decided to drive in and see what was hidden behind those doors. As Diani regulars we were suprised to see a new development in the area.
We were received by the happiest smiles and the atmosphere was so relaxing. My boyfriend and I requested to be shown around. The pools are amazing, never seen anything like that and I thought I had travelled. After the show round my boyfriend and I decided to cancel our other booking at Baobab since it wasnt paid and booked 2 nights at Swahili beach instead. Simple words are that we were not disppointed at all.
We had the most amazingly relaxed stay that when we got to Nairobi we decided that this is where we will be spending our coming off days. The rates are not bad either, very spacious rooms facing either the sea or the pool.
Still lots of room for improvement though, but being a new hotel, totally understandable.
Cashiers should be a little bit more efficient, someone looking forward to jump in the pools should not take so long to pay while you are looking for network, be flexible with checkout payments.
Drivers should be alert, went out to a nearby club that night and the driver looked so tired, we called him again to pick us up later at about 3a.m. We felt as if he was almost falling asleep, my boyfriend tried engaging him into a discussion and he said he had been working from 7 a.m. The hotel can be liable to big damages. We also felt that the car was unkept, like he had been sleeping in there, smells of cigarette and sweat, not a very good combination. Same driver was to take us to the airport the next morning but my boyfriend said no and the receptionists ordered another car for us.
Otherwise, we had a very good stay, front office staff that are always smiling and happy to see you, a front office manager who is also available to greet you and say goodbye as you leave. Will definately be back with friends in July.
Not forgetting the "Dawas", the best.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We (my boyfriend and I) were looking for a relaxing place to stay for a three night cheeky break from Nairobi. We had heard Mixed reports about Swahili Beach but we decided to give it a go. We didnt for a moment regret it! Our welcome was excellent our check in smooth and our rooms lovely! the whole resort is still very new so there will always be a few things you could pick at. On the whole i found the staff very warm and welcomming, the food was SUPERB (in particular the 'Spice Roots' resturant - a MUST for any stay) and the service was very quick. if i was to say anything negative it would be that the uniforms of all the staff need to be changed ASAP, you cant sit in resort that is suposed to be 5 star and have staff walking around in below standard uniforms. The hot water was also an issue during our stay, its didnt bother us to much but it could be a problem for international clients. All in all WELL DONE and thank you to all at Swahili Beach for an excellent weekend! we WILL be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Was here for 3 nights with a team of 15 colleagues. Swahili Beach is unique yet simple - Am coming back in September for my wedding anniversary. Depending on your goal, there will always be pros & cons in every establishment. Here is my take on this 5 Star hotel.

Positive aspects:
1. Beautifully furnished & spacious rooms that give a tranguil feeling
2. Very large coffee/tea mug in the room - ideal for tea addicts like me!
3. A big LCD TV artistically mounted on the wall - 32-37 inch??(it's also branded the hotel name!)
4. Clean soft linen - did not have to use my personal bedsheets which I carry along on 1st visit!
5. Has the biggest bathroom mirror I've encountered so far
6. Large, clean,beautiful swimming pool - gives a feel of relaxation immediately
7. The Hotel Manager made efforts to interact with guests and find out their experience.
8. Wonderful environment conservation effort - planting of coconut trees all the way to the beach
9. Good initiative to keep everything natural with Swahili inspiration
10. The lawns are great, with plenty of outdoor & beach comfortable beds

Room for improvement:
1. Room attendants should show and expalin room facilities to guests - this was not done to me
2. The concerete floor can be slippery on wet feet - need to check this out esp.in wet areas
3. There were no shower caps in room 28 & lotion in room 27
4. Consider providing iron 7board in the rooms - after all it's a 5 Star hotel
5. Need to be consistent e.g. evening turndown service was not provided on 1st day
6. Benchmark other peer 5 star hotels; there's a lot to learn e.g. provision of mint sweets, newspapers in rooms, International News TV Channels etc.
7. The hot water pressure is too low - though the hotel was proactive in advising guests on this in advance, there is need to look for a lasting solutions - its 4 months down the road since opening.
8. Similarly, the construction should now be over - some rooms still smell of raw cement.
9. Majority of staffs are either not very knowleadgable, or not interested in offering exceptional customer service.
10. I found the dark blue uniform for waiters etc boring & sort of demeaning.

Room Tip: The North wing rooms have a better ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

From the day it opened in December 2011 it has proven to be the leader in quality accomodation in an area of Kenya brimming with good hotels
It seems that the owner decided from day one to build a place of excellence and has acheived it ! Obviously it is not perfect but it is in my opinion the best on DIANI BEACH and I have experience of most of them.I as pleasantly suprised when they even started replanting trees that most hotels ignored outside the perimeter wall and worked I am told with the COLOBUS TRUST to ensure some of the essentioal trees needed for endangered species of monkey were included.
The food choices are varied and the staff are tastefully outfitted and attentive one or two bits of fine tuning are still needed but I think eventually this hotel could well be the place of choice of the footballers and managers etc who want a luxuriious and refined break Could perhaps benefit from a bit of BRITISH flair ie meet and greet and customer care fixer

Room Tip: Just ask the booking agent and specify what type of group you are and they will do thier utrmost...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Swahili Beach Resort? Share your experiences!